Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The future of the HS 250h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 11:43 AM
LexFather

I agree it seems to be more aimed for Japan then for us. They don't sell it in Europe either.
Originally Posted by G Star
HS is an odd car and I was surprised Lexus sold it as is.

Let's see:
Entry level - not very luxurious-this I agree with but again its aimed at eco people, the interior is completely recycable but most don't know this. It uses special eco plastics and most don't know this.

Not very fuel efficient-its more fuel efficient than any luxury car but the Lincoln MKS so its VERY fuel efficient.

Not sporty-its sportier than the ES. I don't think anyone has driving the "sport" HS with the touring package which has a different suspension. Lexus is at fault for supplying none of these cars to test.

Not spacious-it's more spacious than the IS and has a good size trunk. Interior room is fine.
Not even attractive-this I agree with.

They were better off implementing a hybrid system in the ES line. I mean, if you're going to produce a dedicated hybrid, it has to be able to compete with the fuel efficiency of a Prius. With some special luxury add-ons, a great styling package, it would be a good seller. So why does the HS exist?
Also again, the HS while not a sales success does up the avg MPG for Lexus and Lexus can brag on having another hybrid and they are the clear leader in this category.

Surely Lexus is hard on work on fixing issues. We also have to realize that maybe Lexus has reached max volume here offering a HS/ES/IS at identical price points.

Old 01-01-11, 12:17 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not an HS hater, I just don't think it makes sense. Lexus has technology and market to make better cars.

ES, high mpg hybrid makes much more sense.

I'd prefer a GS high mpg hybrid but the price points are different.

If Lexus really wanted the HS, might as make it attractive to give people one single reason to buy it.

I love Lexus but some of their styling is questionable. I don't agree with the GX/LX (looks like predator), RX (though not horrible), and HS styling. This is why I'm not fond of the way the whole L-Finesse is going. I want them to stop it and give us something we can instantly be passionate about buying and be proud of.
Old 01-01-11, 12:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G Star
I'm not an HS hater, I just don't think it makes sense. Lexus has technology and market to make better cars.

ES, high mpg hybrid makes much more sense.

I'd prefer a GS high mpg hybrid but the price points are different.

If Lexus really wanted the HS, might as make it attractive to give people one single reason to buy it.

I love Lexus but some of their styling is questionable. I don't agree with the GX/LX (looks like predator), RX (though not horrible), and HS styling. This is why I'm not fond of the way the whole L-Finesse is going. I want them to stop it and give us something we can instantly be passionate about buying and be proud of.
Oh I know you are not and you make good points, I'm just refuting. Hell I can't believe my family bought one.

Old 01-01-11, 03:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't have much faith the CT will do any better. Hatchbacks are the least liked body style in America. I don't think Lexus is in a position to be changing the car-buying trends of a country that's set in their ways. I rather see them focus on what they've had success with in the past. Cars like the SC. Lexus is a high end line company... focus there and make some bank doing it.
Old 01-01-11, 08:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking that if I take a job with a long commute, an HS would be a nice ride for me. Though, I have a hard time getting over that 2.4L engine.
Old 01-01-11, 08:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't have much faith the CT will do any better. Hatchbacks are the least liked body style in America. I don't think Lexus is in a position to be changing the car-buying trends of a country that's set in their ways. I rather see them focus on what they've had success with in the past. Cars like the SC. Lexus is a high end line company... focus there and make some bank doing it.
There seems to be much more interest in the CT and I've seen much more positive reviews from mags and from what people say. Is 12k a year optimistic? Yes but who knows, Lexus might have a small niche here.

Old 01-01-11, 08:50 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idea of the HS does sound good, but the exterior styling just fell flat. I think owning a luxury hybrid is also a statement about lifestyle choice. For me, it doesn't quite distance itself far enough from the Prius.

Do you think the HS would have been more successful it it were a coupe? A coupe? Think about it. It would be a sportier, upscale version of the Prius and would offer something different for someone who doesn't really need 4 doors and at hatch.

It would be the only hybrid coupe on the market; the CRZZZZ doesn't count.
Old 01-01-11, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bruce van
The idea of the HS does sound good, but the exterior styling just fell flat. I think owning a luxury hybrid is also a statement about lifestyle choice. For me, it doesn't quite distance itself far enough from the Prius.

Do you think the HS would have been more successful it it were a coupe? A coupe? Think about it. It would be a sportier, upscale version of the Prius and would offer something different for someone who doesn't really need 4 doors and at hatch.

It would be the only hybrid coupe on the market; the CRZZZZ doesn't count.
bruce that is a splendid idea. Lexus needs coupes too. Might have made a good coupe and at least it wouldn't be another sedan at that price point from Lexus. Interesting thought.

Old 01-02-11, 02:19 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I think the coupe would have been a better idea as well. Since the HS uses a variation of the MC platform, they could have engineered the HS to be an entry level luxury HYBRID 2 door coupe instead of a 3 door liftback like the tC. I'm sure the styling would be much more appealing than what it is now.