Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

WSJ: Putting the Luxe Back in Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-10, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Post WSJ: Putting the Luxe Back in Lincoln

Just now reading the WSJ and saw this....

Putting the Luxe Back in Lincoln
With Mercury Folding, Dealers Need an Upscale Brand With a Strong Image—Beyond an Airport Car

By MATTHEW DOLAN

For 10 years Ronnie Lohr was a steady buyer of luxury cars. But when it came time to replace his Infiniti earlier this year the 66-year-old retired marketing executive drove off in a Ford Taurus instead. For Ford Motor Co., Mr. Lohr's choice was a nice win. But it illustrates a problem the company faces as it adds more attractive and upscale models to its Ford brand: Its own luxury line, Lincoln, is floundering.

Lincoln generated as much as $2.5 billion in annual gross profit in the late 1990s, driven by its Town Car and Navigator sport-utility vehicle, said a person familiar with the matter. In 1998, it was the top-selling luxury brand in the U.S., and sales topped 193,000 cars in 2000.

How far it has fallen. In 2009, Lincoln sold just 82,847 vehicles. So far this year the brand has slipped to the No. 8 spot among upscale makes, behind such names as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Detroit rival Cadillac. Ford doesn't disclose whether Lincoln is profitable.

Turning around Lincoln is critical for Ford. The company, burdened by about $31 billion in debt, could use the outsize profits luxury cars typically generate.

View Full Image

Lincoln's importance is further magnified now that Ford has decided to kill off Mercury, the 71-year-old nameplate whose sales have been dwindling for years. Earlier this month, Ford said it would stop making Mercurys by year's end. Since Lincoln and Mercury are usually sold by the same dealers, these franchisees could struggle if Lincoln doesn't bounce back.

With Mercury gone, Ford could put more resources into Lincoln—and indeed, it probably will have to if it aims to rejuvenate a brand whose marque has little resonance among younger car buyers. Lincoln's popularity has been sliding precipitously for a decade.

Among many luxury-car shoppers Lincoln isn't even a contender. Most of these people never even look at comparable Lincolns, according to data from Edmunds.com, a car-shopping website.

Carving out an identity for Lincoln against upscale rivals won't be easy—especially if Ford-brand models start stealing the same customers.

Mr. Lohr, who lives in Houston, said he didn't even consider Lincoln when he went car shopping. "They always seemed like a big boat with loose handling," he said.

But he was taken by the look and amenities of the redesigned Taurus. The Ford Mr. Lohr took home sports pearl-white paint, a leather interior and 19-inch wheels—features that once would have been more common in Lincolns than Fords. But at $26,700, the Taurus was about $15,000 less than the Lincoln MKS, a sedan based on the same underpinnings and many of the same parts as the Taurus.

Ford Motor is widely viewed as a turnaround story. It made money in 2009 while General Motors Co. and Chrysler Group LLCfiled for bankruptcy, and it earned $2 billion in the year's first quarter.

Under Chief Executive Alan Mulally, Ford sold off niche brands Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo and Aston Martin to free up resources to rebuild the Ford division.

Phasing out Mercury is a further step in Mr. Mullaly's "One Ford" strategy.
[LINCOLN]

For the first five months of the year, Ford-brand sales rose 34% over the same period last year. But Lincoln remained sluggish, up only 11.5%. And the gains at Lincoln have a retro feel: Sales of its aging and soon-to-be-discontinued Town Car were up 17% while the newer MKS sedan slid almost 7%.

One problem with Lincoln is its aging audience. The average age of a Lincoln buyer is 64, compared with 52 at BMW, 56 at Mercedes-Benz and 58 at Lexus, according to J.D. Power and Associates.

Another is that Lincoln owners aren't very loyal. Just 40% of Lincoln owners turn in their vehicle for another Lincoln, compared with 52% for BMW, 57% for Lexus and 66% for Mercedes, according to a 2009 J.D. Power study.

Then there's the issue of Ford cannibalizing Lincoln.
In May, 20% of buyers who traded in a Lincoln bought a Ford, up from 14% in May 2005, according to Edmunds.com.

In a recent interview, Ford Executive Chairman Bill Ford said he isn't overly concerned about the issue, saying he'd rather have the sales one way or another.

Mr. Ford added that Lincoln will focus on the performance of its vehicles, but declined to talk about new models in the works, including whether Lincoln would introduce a rear-wheel drive model, which many customers say is needed to provide true luxury-car ride.

Lincoln dealers say Ford needs to do much more to revive the nameplate.

"The recent Lincoln products are very nice, but there isn't much evidence that they have cut through the clutter
," said Earl J. Hesterberg, chief executive of Group 1 Automotive Inc., a major dealer network whose operations include Lincoln stores.
Journal Community

—Henry Grimmelsman

Mr. Hesterberg said Lincoln needs a flagship sedan, preferably with rear-wheel drive, that has features that aren't found in Fords.
"I don't have a good understanding of what the key reason is to buy a Lincoln," he said.

Ford is promising seven new or significantly improved Lincolns in the next four years, including a small luxury car and new MKZ midsize sedan. But it's unclear how deep the commitment to U.S.-dominated Lincoln runs at an increasingly global, one-brand Ford.

In the last few years, Ford gave Lincoln models a bold new look as well as new three-letter names, all beginning with MK. But the brand was without its own marketing manager for more than a year as sales slid.

At the core of Lincoln's problem has been the lack of brand identity. "The big question was how do we invest in the primary brand and build pride so that people say 'I drive a Lincoln' as opposed to 'I drive a Navigator,'" one former company insider said.

IHS Automotive analyst Rebecca Lindland said another issue is many consumers associate Lincoln with the big. wallowing Town Car.

"That's the car that brings you to the airport, that's the car that you rent for prom night," she said. "It's a bad thing in that consumers don't see it as an aspirational vehicle."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...962482272.html

Old 06-28-10, 10:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was driving home today and saw one of those Lincoln Mark LT trucks in front of me and all I could think was.....who's the sucker that bought the rebadged F150?

There currently isn't a Lincoln vehicle that even gets my attention anymore. The last one that had any appeal for me was the old Mark VIII.
Old 06-28-10, 10:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always wondered what was Lincoln's forte.

It was undefined. Like the image and idea were lost. Yes, it had luxury amenities, but it didn't have stature.

And does anyone really talk about Lincoln's past and present glory? We all talk about BMW and Mercedes' heritages, and even Lexus' 20-year impact; but never Lincoln's decades-old brand status.

It's as if no one wants to talk about Lincoln...
Old 06-29-10, 02:22 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I was driving home today and saw one of those Lincoln Mark LT trucks in front of me and all I could think was.....who's the sucker that bought the rebadged F150?

There currently isn't a Lincoln vehicle that even gets my attention anymore. The last one that had any appeal for me was the old Mark VIII.
i saw someone using a lincoln mark LT as a work truck. had banners all over it. must have got a really good deal on it.
Old 06-29-10, 04:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the MKS quite a bit. I believe that's a Taurus basically though; but still a good looking car.
Old 06-29-10, 05:42 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

That could be said about a lot of brands
Old 06-29-10, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If he keeps it long enough, it may not turn out to be a "sucker" purchase. The rarity of Lincoln-badged pickups (few LTs were sold, and only 1000 of the former Lincoln Blackwoods were built) may one day make them collector items, just like the old Jeep and Studebaker pickups have become....and not to mention the Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero.

Today's Lincolns, though (even the sedans) have something that no previous Lincoln sedan ever offered before......AWD.
Old 06-29-10, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One problem with Lincoln is its aging audience. The average age of a Lincoln buyer is 64, compared with 52 at BMW, 56 at Mercedes-Benz and 58 at Lexus, according to J.D. Power and Associates.
Age alone is not a problem. We hear this same arguement about Buick, which has an even older average-buyer age than Lincoln, over and over again from the pundits, yet Buick is doing well, and, of course, survived the recent division massacre at GM.
Old 06-29-10, 08:29 AM
LexFather

I don't think there is anything inherently bad or wrong with Lincolns but as the article mentioned they have no idea what they are and what they want to be and they simply are not on many peoples radar.

They BLEW the Navigator. The Navigator was THE SUV back in the day but they didn't update it accordingly and the 2nd gen looked just like the first.

In comparison Cadillac really upgraded the Escalade every generation and the Navigator became the afterthought.

Brands also have GOT TO REALIZE the importance of a good name. Lincoln named the entry level car Zephyer for ONE YEAR and then wham, its a MKZ. Bring the damn names back!

I hope Ford invests appropriately in Lincoln. Nothing wrong with some "American luxury"

Old 06-29-10, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't think there is anything inherently bad or wrong with Lincolns but as the article mentioned they have no idea what they are and what they want to be and they simply are not on many peoples radar.
Well, the common arguement there, of course, is that Mercury's demise will put more people on both the Ford and Lincoln radars. I'm still not sure I buy it, though, and still think that Mercury's former customers, just like the ones from Oldsmobile, are going to defect more to Buick than to the other Ford divisions.

They BLEW the Navigator. The Navigator was THE SUV back in the day but they didn't update it accordingly and the 2nd gen looked just like the first. In comparison Cadillac really upgraded the Escalade every generation and the Navigator became the afterthought.
The Navigator was THE SUV primarily with certain groups of people.....rappers, entertainers, and pro athletes. And I agree that the Escalade gave it stiff competition, especially the 2Gen Escalade. But I wouldn't say that Ford exactly neglected the 2Gen Navigator either.....though somewhat similiar on the outside, the 2Gen interior was completely re-done from formerly that of a plush F-150 to being that of a true Lincoln.

Brands also have GOT TO REALIZE the importance of a good name. Lincoln named the entry level car Zephyer for ONE YEAR and then wham, its a MKZ. Bring the damn names back!
Totally agree. The letter/number game is absurd.....with Lincoln's and Acura's being some of the most confusing of all.

I hope Ford invests appropriately in Lincoln. Nothing wrong with some "American luxury"
Well, with Jaguar, Land Rover, and now Mercury gone, and having that extra cash, they BETTER invest in Llincoln....though that alone, as I mentioned above, doesn't guarantee that the customers will come.

If I was running Lincoln right now, the VERY first thing on my list (besides scrapping the letter-names), would be to redesign the front and rear styling of the MKT. It's a good vehicle, but I think the frumpy styling is definitely turning some people off. When I reviewed the MKT a few months ago, I placed both the front and rear styling (though, of course, subjective), high up in my negative comments. The front end looks like a grinning teen-ager showing off a set of new tooth-braces, and the rear looks like a PT Cruiser with belt-tailights.

Old 06-29-10, 09:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I won't get into the stereotypes of Navigator buyers (because a vast majority of Navigator owners don't fit the stereotypes), but Lincoln has a lot of work to be done in order to be considered a competitive luxury vehicle.

Agreed the model number scheme is unusually bad (certainly far worse than Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi to name a few). Nobody knows or even cares what Mxx Lincoln model is what.
Old 06-29-10, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I won't get into the stereotypes of Navigator buyers (because a vast majority of Navigator owners don't fit the stereotypes),
Agreed to some extent, but, stereotypes or not, Cadillac was concerned enough with the 1Gen Navigator's initial success that, in the late 1990's, they hirriedly pushed through a rather hastily-designed 1Gen Escalade off the Chevy Tahoe platform (the longer, Suburban-sized Escalade wouldn't come till later). It was a rushed design, and it showed. As Mike (1SICKLEX) pointed out, and I agree, the real Escalade would not arrive till the 2Gen model, and the redesigned interiors of 2007. The Navigator, by this time, had been redesigned, with a much better (and more Lincoln-like) interior as well.

Agreed the model number scheme is unusually bad (certainly far worse than Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi to name a few). Nobody knows or even cares what Mxx Lincoln model is what.
That's because many traditional Lincoln customers, of course, are used to names like Town Car, Continental, Zephyr, Mark (Roman numeral), etc....

What is interesting, at least in my view, is that Lincoln first departed from the traditional-name policy with the 1999 LS, which was a nice car, but not a huge sales success. Yet, they seem to be sticking to (or converting) more and more to that system, even though it didn't work particularly well with the LS.
Old 06-29-10, 10:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed to some extent, but, stereotypes or not, Cadillac was concerned enough with the 1Gen Navigator's initial success that, in the late 1990's, they hirriedly pushed through a rather hastily-designed 1Gen Escalade off the Chevy Tahoe platform (the longer, Suburban-sized Escalade wouldn't come till later). It was a rushed design, and it showed. As Mike (1SICKLEX) pointed out, and I agree, the real Escalade would not arrive till the 2Gen model, and the redesigned interiors of 2007. The Navigator, by this time, had been redesigned, with a much better (and more Lincoln-like) interior as well.
Yes, the simple fact is the vast majority of Navigator owners are not the stereotypes that you listed. Doesn't change that fact whether people agree or don't agree.

And Lincoln and Cadillac know the key to these divisions being successful in 2010 and beyond will no longer be dependent on these outdated trucks.
Old 06-29-10, 10:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Just now reading the WSJ and saw this....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...962482272.html
I cannot think of a single Lincoln product that I would buy over a fully-loaded Ford equivalent. The only one I'd *consider* is the MKS, but in the end, I don't think you get your money's worth over the top of the line Taurus. Plus, IMO, most of the Ford models are better looking than the Lincoln equivalent.

Totally agree. The letter/number game is absurd.....with Lincoln's and Acura's being some of the most confusing of all.
Sorry, guys. The letter/number naming method is here to stay. Car companies think that, in order for people to consider their cars as good as European luxury cars, they must be named by a similar method. It's the same people that are wasting time circulating memos about "Chevy" vs. "Chevrolet".

Last edited by tex2670; 06-29-10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-29-10, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, the simple fact is the vast majority of Navigator owners are not the stereotypes that you listed. Doesn't change that fact whether people agree or don't agree.
Of course not. I never said they were. If you think I did, you're mistaken.

And Lincoln and Cadillac know the key to these divisions being successful in 2010 and beyond will no longer be dependent on these outdated trucks.
The million-dollar question is HOW they are outdated......that can be argued all day. One line of thought is that the simple concept of full-size SUV's is outdated.....another holds that they just need to be converted to unibody designs that may not be able to tow quite as much, but have better road manners. I myself don't really have a position on that....both views have merit.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-10 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: WSJ: Putting the Luxe Back in Lincoln