Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

In Memory: Hiromu Naruse

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 12:22 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RIP, sad to hear, but I am gald to have lived during and whitness some of his accomplishments!
Old 06-25-10, 12:43 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rest In Peace... Mr. Naruse.
Old 06-25-10, 10:03 AM
LexFather

From another forum...

Originally Posted by bc
Naruse-san was a stand-up guy.

He was the reason we ended up buying the iQ GRMN. It was the only car we could afford (vs. the LFA) that benefited from so much of his passion and expertise.

The iQ is nuts for a production car. The suspension is incredibly stiff but after shaking it down at some track days we have come to learn that for a FWD jellybean with a torsion beam rear axle, it has tenacious grip.

He told us the spring rates off the top of his head at the Tokyo Auto Salon this year and then gave us instruction later on at a Toyota event at Fuji Speedway.

Old 06-26-10, 01:45 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

^if that's true, the iQ would be an excellent autocross car. long live naruse.

naruse ni rei
Old 06-26-10, 10:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

We are in great gratitude for his years spent with Toyota in sharing his knowledge and skill in the development of these cars. He was definitely out there and I hope his sense will live on by another of his team/Toyota designer, drivers...

He was definitely valuable. In some ways, I had thought his background might serve Toyota had he stepped back just a bit. That said, he gave his 100% and in many respects, that is the Japanese philosophy.

A celebration of life for his accomplishments for his dedication to Toyota.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-10, 12:09 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Lost in the shuffle and vitriol of the other Naruse LFA thread on here, I wanted to share the tribute article I wrote for the Kaizen Factor blog: http://kaizenfactor.wordpress.com/20...well-miss-you/
Old 06-27-10, 05:00 PM
Rash
hmm

Rest in Peace.
Old 06-28-10, 05:03 PM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

Over the weekend, I talked with Yo****ami Sekiya (an original member of the 2000GT Trial Team and my mechanic at TRD USA). I asked about Naruse-san and he remembers him as a member of the group. They were all young in their mid 20’s.

The head of the project was Mr. Kono. The lead members were Mr. Kato (a son of a former Toyota chairman who also worked with Shelby, prior to Shelby getting the 2000GTs) and Mr. Kurita (the most respected technician in Toyota Motor Corporation. Chief mechanic was Mr. Takahashi. Mr. Kato and Mr. Kurita formed SIGMA Racing- the pioneer Japanese team that raced in the most famous tracks of Europe (using Porsche and Toyotas). Together they have raced in Europe more times than any Japanese Toyota team. Shin Kato is the mastermind behind current SARD Hybrid racing Supra and several European and Japanese GT efforts.

Politics. The lead driver chosen was Satchio Fukuzawa, a "good-looking" son-in-law of a powerful Politician (with the same last name). Unfortunately he crashed and got killed- and the family sued Toyota, leading to an end of the project. Mr. Kono was exiled to a Toyota office in New York. Mr. Naruse’s exact role was not defined. Note that at this early part of Toyota history TOSCO (and naturallyTRD) was not around, all motorsport effort was factory direct. The group ran under TMSC banner (Toyota Motor Sport Club), same umbrella the early Toyota race teams competed under.

I mention this because I think Naruse’s “bigger” role in GR and the LFA in particular was more to put a face on Toyota’s “heritage” in building sports oriented cars. His direct involvement in Toyota motorsport activities is largely unknown and undocumented. For sure Toyota has younger and more able test drivers (to answer other forums’ sarcastic questions: why the lead test driver is “old”). And him being Akio’s “personal driver”- is a misstatement, he was his driving coach. I just hope that there are no forth coming lawsuits.

A seldom mentioned fact about the 2000GT’s World Records- is that the records did not stand long. Almost overnight- new records were reestablished, some by the very same former record holders. The 2000GT is often called an “orphaned” collector car, it is too bad that the LFA is now also a still-born orphan car.

More to come.
Old 06-29-10, 09:30 AM
TOYSPORT
Driver School Candidate

From Automotive News
Article by HANS GREIMEL

Toyota's loss -- and Toyoda's loss
Crash claims test driver Naruse, who helped craft cars and mentor a CEO

TOKYO -- The death of master test driver Hiromu Naruse, killed last week in his beloved Lexus LFA sports car at the Nurburgring complex in Germany, is a loss not just for Toyota Motor Corp. but for President Akio Toyoda.

The 67-year-old veteran, dubbed the Meister of Nurburgring, helped fine-tune a generation of Toyota's best cars, from the 2000GT of the '60s and Supra of the '80s to today's LFA. But his impact as mentor of the founding family's scion was just as important.

The weathered, white-haired Naruse was the first to challenge Toyoda's car guy street cred by pushing him to become a certified performance driver, not just an armchair aficionado.

"The second thing he told me was that test drivers have a very dangerous job. You must understand the risks," Toyoda recalled Naruse warning him at the start of his training.

On Wednesday, June 23, Naruse's yellow-orange LFA crossed the center line on a road just outside the race course and smashed head-on into a BMW carrying two other test drivers. They both survived, although one was in critical condition a day later.

It was easy to understand Naruse's sway. Within Toyota, he loomed as an Obi-Wan Kenobi figure commanding cultlike reverence. When I met him last month in Germany on the sidelines of the Nurburgring 24-hour endurance race, I found an intense, no-nonsense car fanatic who left no doubt about his confidence or control behind the wheel, despite his age.

His exacting standards helped perfect the $375,000 LFA, which stands at the pinnacle of the Toyota lineup, not just in price but in engineering and performance.
Old 06-29-10, 08:22 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

RIP Hiromu Naruse. I made the mistake of looking at a picture of Naruse's helmet sitting on the road with blood all over it. It was heart breaking.

A true legend and a true enthusiast. LF-A was his last and biggest masterpiece. It is his legacy and the success in 24-hours endurance racing is all because of Naruse. Everytime I hear the angelic scream of the LF-A, it will sound to me like Naruse's passion, soul and enthusiasm oozing out of the LF-A.

I am really hoping Lexus will dedicate this Nurburgring edition LF-A to Naruse and will forever be remembered as his crowning achievement.
Old 01-13-12, 09:50 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From another forum...

"Naruse-san was a stand-up guy.

He was the reason we ended up buying the iQ GRMN. It was the only car we could afford (vs. the LFA) that benefited from so much of his passion and expertise.

The iQ is nuts for a production car. The suspension is incredibly stiff but after shaking it down at some track days we have come to learn that for a FWD jellybean with a torsion beam rear axle, it has tenacious grip.

He told us the spring rates off the top of his head at the Tokyo Auto Salon this year and then gave us instruction later on at a Toyota event at Fuji Speedway."
And the GRMN iQ Supercharger Concept is greenlit for production! (Limited to 100 copies in JDM though.)

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...uto-salon.html

GRMN Toyota iQ Supercharger Heading to Production: 2012 Tokyo Auto Salon

Build by Toyota motorsports partner Gazoo Racing, the GRMN iQ Supercharger is just the sort of concept car that’s too wild to ever become a reality. Right? Wrong!

To the surprise of, well, everyone, Toyota has announced it will offer a limited production of the car, which was unveiled in its second-generation prototype stage today at the Tokyo Auto Salon.

Based on the 1.3-liter version of the iQ (it’s largest engine option), GRMN engineers have strapped on a supercharger to increase power output from a factory 94 hp, up to 130 hp, while torque increases from 89 lb-ft to 133.

Additional upgrades include the widebody seen here, an upgraded suspension and brake setup, larger 16-inch wheels with 195/55R16 tires and a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission – much unlike the CVT offered on the North American Scion iQ (read our review here).

Inside the car gets custom sports seats and new gauges that go all the way up to 200 km/h (124 mph), a speed the standard car most certainly cannot achieve.

Set to go on sale this summer, the GRMN iQ Supercharger will be built in extremely limited quantities with just 100 cars being made.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-13-12 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-13-12, 10:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
And the GRMN iQ Supercharger Concept is greenlit for production! (Limited to 100 copies in JDM though.)

[url]http

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...uto-salon.html

GRMN Toyota iQ Supercharger Heading to Production: 2012 Tokyo Auto Salon

Build by Toyota motorsports partner Gazoo Racing, the GRMN iQ Supercharger is just the sort of concept car that’s too wild to ever become a reality. Right? Wrong!

To the surprise of, well, everyone, Toyota has announced it will offer a limited production of the car, which was unveiled in its second-generation prototype stage today at the Tokyo Auto Salon.

Based on the 1.3-liter version of the iQ (it’s largest engine option), GRMN engineers have strapped on a supercharger to increase power output from a factory 94 hp, up to 130 hp, while torque increases from 89 lb-ft to 133.

Additional upgrades include the widebody seen here, an upgraded suspension and brake setup, larger 16-inch wheels with 195/55R16 tires and a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission – much unlike the CVT offered on the North American Scion iQ (read our review here).

Inside the car gets custom sports seats and new gauges that go all the way up to 200 km/h (124 mph), a speed the standard car most certainly cannot achieve.

Set to go on sale this summer, the GRMN iQ Supercharger will be built in extremely limited quantities with just 100 cars being made.

Wow, pretty cool Toyota!! Long Live the Spirit of Hiromu Naruse!

Old 01-13-12, 11:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the looks of that iQ moreso than the Aston Martin Cygnet!

That's an awesome body kit! Power upgrades are kickass!!
Old 01-13-12, 11:05 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

RIP, will always be in our memories.
Old 01-13-12, 12:18 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Haha 130hp and probably still around 2000 lbs - with a 6MT. Love it.

Quick Reply: In Memory: Hiromu Naruse