Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Source: Hyundai Veracruz to be replaced by long-wheelbase Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 02:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Source: Hyundai Veracruz to be replaced by long-wheelbase Santa Fe

Source: Hyundai Veracruz to be replaced by long-wheelbase Santa Fe

While the Hyundai Veracruz is a perfectly competent vehicle, the upscale three-row crossover hasn't been selling particularly well, making it stick out like the proverbial sore thumb on the Korean automaker's otherwise white-hot sales charts. What to do? Well, Autoblog has learned that while the CUV will soldier on largely unchanged for another couple of years, it is almost certain to be replaced by a long-wheelbase version of Hyundai's popular Santa Fe.

The move is unusual for a crossover but not without precedent. In other markets, Nissan has added a stretched version of its well-liked, hard-to-pronounce Qashqai known as the Qashqai+2. Of course, other automakers have also offered extended-wheelbase models of their body-on-frame SUVs (think: Cadillac Escalade ESV) for many years.

At this time, it is not clear how much the next–generation model will be stretched to accommodate the third row, or what name the longer model will take, but it will almost certainly maintain the Santa Fe descriptor and styling in order to build nameplate equity and control costs. Oddly, the Santa Fe was itself offered with three rows up until it received a modest refresh for model year 2010, but that option was dropped due to a very low take rate. Presumably, buyers are looking for more space for third-row occupants, and a longer passenger cell will have buyers considering a next-generation three-row Santa Fe anew.

In other Santa Fe news, the CUV figures to be a prime candidate for the new lithium-polymer hybrid drivetrain that Hyundai has developed for the 2011 Sonata. While our sources won't confirm that the model will go gas-electric, they do admit that the company is keen to spread out development costs through added scale, and they also acknowledge that the CUV's size would make packaging an easy and natural fit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/s...eelbase-santa/
Old 06-23-10, 02:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the Veracruz.

It should have sold well, considering it started Hyundai's renaissance of better products.

They should keep it, and make it as upscale as the Genesis and Equus. Give Hyundai their entry-level SUVs, and make the Veracruz a stand-out among non-Tier-1 competitors.
Old 06-23-10, 08:43 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. In fact, if it were not for the Veracruz, I wouldn't have learned to appreciate Korean cars. Heck, when I saw it in a local motorshow here (back in 2007), I really felt that this was the car that led me to love and appreciate Korean cars again.

And man, the diesel engine of the Veracruz was a tour-de-force.

Man, the 3.0 V6 S-CRDI turbodiesel engine with 240+ hp and loads of torque and the response and power availability was NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING.

The best Korean diesel engine ever!!!
Old 06-23-10, 09:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Veracruz was a nice upscale and well-built SUV, and in several ways, competed favorably with some Lexus SUVs. But its driving/road manners were not particularly impressive (I for one, didn't like its steering feel/action), and the Santa Fe, IMO, was not only nicer to drive but, of course, generally cost less as well. We'll have to wait and see how the stretched-Santa Fe that will replace the Veracruz will compare in cost and driving manners.
Old 06-23-10, 09:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I like the Veracruz.

It should have sold well, considering it started Hyundai's renaissance of better products.
Hyundai stopped building junk, Phil, long before the Veracruz arrived on the scene.....the Veracruz has only been out a few years. But, while the VERY first sign of better Hyundais was arguably the 1Gen 1997 Tiburon (it was the first Hyundai I ever drove that I had any respect for), definitely better quality started showing up after about 2000 or so, particularly with the Sonata.

They should keep it, and make it as upscale as the Genesis and Equus. Give Hyundai their entry-level SUVs, and make the Veracruz a stand-out among non-Tier-1 competitors.
The Veracruz was pretty upscale as it was, Phil. Its interior and overall quality could compete with some Lexus SUVs. Its main problem (as I saw it) was vague and sloppy road manners.

Even so, I agree with you that I'd like to see it stay, but, others here will no doubt point out that, in today's buisness climate, if a vehicle doesn't sell, it doesn't last.
Old 06-24-10, 02:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

My dad and I have put 36k miles on his Veracruz and it's proven to be a very solid vehicle. I think Hyundai should keep it going, as there is still some demand for larger SUV's that are done with some elegance and efficiency (RX and MDX are successful). What needs improving is the interior materials, which are a small notch below Lexus levels. Some of the trim and panels appear cheap. Also, exterior styling is a little strange in some spots and could use some updating (grill is upside down). But the driveline, trans, and engine are pleasing. I can't comment too much on it's handling, but it seems fine around corners and off ramps. I don't think those who purchase the Veracruz need a curb hugger. It cruises very nicely on the highway.
Old 06-24-10, 05:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Veracruz and Azera are two Hyundai's that I thought would help in their move upscale but didn't suceed. Both seem to offer a lot for the money but never caught on. Azera is selling slower than the Vercruz.

I remember all of the comparisons of the Veracruz and the RX early on by the press as well as Hyundai themselves.
Old 06-24-10, 01:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Veracruz and Azera are two Hyundai's that I thought would help in their move upscale but didn't suceed. Both seem to offer a lot for the money but never caught on. Azera is selling slower than the Vercruz.

I remember all of the comparisons of the Veracruz and the RX early on by the press as well as Hyundai themselves.
Yup... The RX was the target. They made many comparisons. I once saw the Azera lowered on some 20's and I was impressed. I dont know why it didnt sell better
Old 06-24-10, 01:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Uote]

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Azera is selling slower than the Vercruz.
Both the Azera and its predecessor, the XG300/350, had stiff competition from the Buick Lucerne/Park Avenue and Toyota Avalon. Since then, of course, the Azera has also been somewhat overshadowed by the newer Genesis sedan.
Old 06-25-10, 11:06 AM
LexFather

I also am at a loss why it didn't sell better especially since most SUVs sell and its really hard to have one that fails. They advertised vs the RX but clearly it didn't work.

Its rare to see one here. I think they look fine. The Kia Borrego didn't fair well either.

Old 06-25-10, 12:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I also am at a loss why it didn't sell better especially since most SUVs sell and its really hard to have one that fails. They advertised vs the RX but clearly it didn't work.

Its rare to see one here. I think they look fine. The Kia Borrego didn't fair well either.
Some possibilities: Larger SUV's have traditionally been the domain of U.S. companies (Explorer, Expedition, Tahoe, Escalade, etc). When the average American family is looking for one, those are going to be names they know and their kids think of first. Second, the Veracruz isn't quite finished the same way as the luxury nameplates it strives to compete with. Trim, styling, and quality of materials is just a shade below models like the RX or MDX. Overall, I think the Korean brands don't have the history and recognition to bring in masses of families to this segment. Like with their sedans, they are slowly putting themselves on the map, but it takes a while. If they did another Veracruz, I think it would hit the mark closer. Which I will conclude by saying I believe it's a mistake for Hyundai to give up on larger SUV's and the Veracruz name. If they can successfully break into that tough catagory in the U.S., it really helps establish their name into American homes and opens up the door to just about anything else.
Old 06-25-10, 01:22 PM
ConceptVBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is talk of a 3.0 Diesel engine from Hyundai Europe that Hyundai America might bring over.
Old 06-25-10, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ConceptVBS
There is talk of a 3.0 Diesel engine from Hyundai Europe that Hyundai America might bring over.
Talk.

Auto companies TALK a whole lot about bringing non-U.S.-market diesels here to America. But, outside of the VW TDIs and a couple of Mercedes and BMW Bluetec diesels, there has been very little action. Auto companies, more often than not, keep offering excuses why they say one thing one day about diesels, and then change their minds the next.
Old 06-25-10, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 1Gen Borrego, to an extent, was a different vehicle than the Veracruz. It wasn't as plush inside, sold for a little less, and was more rugged and truck-based, with a separate ladder-frame, for off-road use. If the two of them didn't sell well, it was probably for different reasons.
Old 06-25-10, 10:07 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Perhaps the reason the Veracruz didn't/doesn't sell well is due to the experience that customers received when looking at one. I know this is one isolated dealership, but the problem was global.

I, at the behest of my sister, and being the resident car guy in the family, went over to the local dealer to check out the brand new Veracruz. I was open minded, and liked the power, steering feel, and the spacious back seat. Being the double whammy of both tall and wide, I like vehicles with space (go figure). I was willing to even recommend she come in and take one for a spin - until I sat in the back seat to review the features touted by the salesman. While examining the rear, I noticed there was no air coming from the rear vent on the driver's side near the front seat's shoulder area. I asked him to turn on the rear air, and he informed me it was on. I asked him to move it from floor to dash, and it didn't help. There was absolutely no air coming from that vent, no matter what option we tried.

Proceed to second Veracruz. Same problem. Third unit, same problem. Determining that this was a global problem, the solution the salesman had was that "this is what warranties are for." Uh, no. My sister lives 20+ miles from the closes Hyundai dealership, and I have to imagine that this wasn't an easy fix since it most likely meant that the piping to the vent was put in wrong, and possibly sealed at the factory incorrectly. Knowing that she would be a stickler for it working as promised, it would require that her brand new vehicle sit at the dealer for several days (or weeks) while the factory determined the solution. Sorry, but if I'm purchasing a vehicle it will be in my possession, not the dealer's. If I have to immediately bring it back, that's not a purchase, that's a refund. Why he continued to try and press me to purchase or help her purchase is beyond me, but I can assure you it wasn't the right idea and it has tainted my opinion of the company (not just him, but the overall experience). While I will still view the products open mindedly, you can bet that if I were looking at one for a purchase of my own, every single button, switch, and feature had better function perfectly or it's no deal.

Big Mack

Quick Reply: Source: Hyundai Veracruz to be replaced by long-wheelbase Santa Fe