Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai: Sonata 2.0 Turbo hits 60 in 6.5 seconds, returns 34 mpg highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 02:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hyundai: Sonata 2.0 Turbo hits 60 in 6.5 seconds, returns 34 mpg highway

Hyundai: Sonata 2.0 Turbo hits 60 in 6.5 seconds, returns 34 mpg highway

According to Hyundai, its new 274-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged engine for the 2011 Sonata sedan is going to be a real gem. To wit, the Korean automaker says the boosted-four will propel its midsize sedan to 60 miles per hour in just 6.5 seconds. That's serious speed for the segment and it means the Sonata will at least have the accelerative chops to stick with the rest of the sport sedan competition.

Of course, these days frugality is just as important as horsepower, and Hyundai assures us that its 2.0T-powered Sonata will be able to return the promised 22 miles per gallon in the city and 34 on the highway – all on regular-grade fuel. For those who like to keep track of such things, Hyundai claims those figures are 16% and 17% better respectively than the outgoing 3.5-liter V6.

Want more? Well, that's all we can share for now... but our initial driving impressions will be on their way just as soon as Hyundai gives the word. Stay tuned.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/23/h...rns-34-mpg-hi/
Old 06-23-10, 02:53 PM
LexFather

The MPG is more impressive, the acceleration is no faster than a V-6 Camry/Accord.

Wow like 4-5 Hyundai threads on the first page. Who would have thunk it when we all first joined here years ago

Old 06-23-10, 02:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At least there aren't that much GT-R threads anymore.

(I think I may have just jinxed this Forum... )
Old 06-23-10, 08:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Hyundai deserves the attention its getting. I have to agree they seem like they came out of nowhere ( even they were always in the background). I was driving behind a black new gen sonata and I was blown away at how nice the car looks. Its styling (imho) is far nicer than the camry and accord and looks more high end to me when I look at the details in the design. Good job hyundai
Old 06-23-10, 08:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive
Old 06-23-10, 08:32 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Damn, that's impressive (for a car of this class and category).

Too bad that we don't get the turbo-charged engine here (it's only for North America atm)
Old 06-24-10, 05:49 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impresive. However, my guess is that this is with a 6MT. I could be wrong. But, note that the 2.4L Sonata is rated 22/35 6AT & 24/35 6MT.
Old 06-24-10, 06:21 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Good Stuff, I like the way Hyundai is going.
Old 06-24-10, 07:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want to hijack this thread or cause a flame war but I would like to see some real world numbers for this engine before I give a final opinion.

As a comparison, the GR in the Camry is a magnificently fuel efficient engine, and is also very quick. Last weekend I road tripped to South Carolina in the ES 350 and with two adults, two dogs, air on, and a trunk full of lake gear, I averaged 33.7MPG at 68MPH, on regular fuel. On the way back, I averaged 29.8MPG at about 82MPH with all of the same weight in the car and on the same tank of gas.

I don't know the numbers for other competitive V6s but my first thought is Kudos to Hyundai for doing it differently - not necessarily doing it better.
Old 06-24-10, 08:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't want to hijack this thread or cause a flame war but I would like to see some real world numbers for this engine before I give a final opinion.

As a comparison, the GR in the Camry is a magnificently fuel efficient engine, and is also very quick. Last weekend I road tripped to South Carolina in the ES 350 and with two adults, two dogs, air on, and a trunk full of lake gear, I averaged 33.7MPG at 68MPH, on regular fuel. On the way back, I averaged 29.8MPG at about 82MPH with all of the same weight in the car and on the same tank of gas.

I don't know the numbers for other competitive V6s but my first thought is Kudos to Hyundai for doing it differently - not necessarily doing it better.
30+ mpg is pretty common with the ES350 at anything under 70mph. As you experienced, over 70 you can still get 28-30 depending on terrain, wind etc. Pretty good IMO for a car of that size and comfort.
Old 06-24-10, 08:33 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I want one! It will be a good dd.
Old 06-24-10, 09:20 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the best looking car in its class. This car is stunning with the factory 18 inch wheels. As far as gas mileage, I've achieved 34 mpg hwy in my 335 while heading to the MGM Grand @ Foxwoods. Many car can average 30 or more hwy with no traffic..
Old 06-24-10, 11:00 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

imagine an intake, downpipe, and exhaust :O 0-60 in high 5's maybe?!?!?! while taking your fam to the beach getting 30+ MPG? winwin anyone?
Old 06-24-10, 11:07 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Sonata is a class leader imo... No question I would choose it over a CamCord

On a side note: WTH is Honda doing?????? At least develop the Accord coupe into a Genesis coupe fighter or something. Something innovative.
Do some car companies just sit back and let others take their markets away?? WOW
Old 06-24-10, 11:56 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
Nice report and thanks for posting, Hoovey2411.

I wanted to make a note for everyone that the 0-60 data they mentioned here maybe from 0-100 km/hr run which is actually 0-62 mph. In Korea they use metrics, km/hr. 6.5 sec should be around 6.3 sec. And this number maybe conservative. Have it tested by Road & Track, which is a highly reputable and neutral site. Expect to see 5.8~ 5.9 sec 0-60. The prediction I claimed a few months ago was 0-60 in 5.7 sec at best. Let's see if my prediction will come close again. I know my prediction was almost spot on on the Genesis Sedan V8, I forecasted 5.4 sec 0-60 and Road & Track got 5.5 sec several months later.

Anyways, I call Hyundai a success so far. It's got its own styling (not a copy that some members here claim) and has great performance such as top notch MPG and great acceleration.

I have to agree that I am not seeing any obvious design cues on the new Hyundais that make the cars seem to look exactly like the competition

Well said. I run into the new Sonata's almost everyday when I drive to work and back home. The silver one looks beautiful. The black one looks even better. The car separates itself from other crowds. it looks unique and so attractive. Very handsome and stylish looking car.

I agree with the statement that the black looks the best. the one I saw the other day was black as well and looked like it had been waxed. Even as the car pulled away I thought to myself that the rear of the car looks great as well. I like the chrome exhaust tips and the psuedo diffuser they tried to blend in. Honestly if I was looking for a car in this segment I would really check out the new Sonata
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This is the best looking car in its class. This car is stunning with the factory 18 inch wheels. As far as gas mileage, I've achieved 34 mpg hwy in my 335 while heading to the MGM Grand @ Foxwoods. Many car can average 30 or more hwy with no traffic..
I agree that the Accord and Camry cant even get close to the new styling of the Sonata. The Camry is getting really old and stale and the Accord just looks a bit odd from certain angles ( although I do like the coupe)

Originally Posted by vwynn
imagine an intake, downpipe, and exhaust :O 0-60 in high 5's maybe?!?!?! while taking your fam to the beach getting 30+ MPG? winwin anyone?
Funny.... I was telling my wife the same thing when I saw this article. We have already seen the guys with the 2.0 l turbo genesis pull some huge numbers with some tuning. I am assuming it will be just as easy to work this new Sonata turbo

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Sonata 2.0 Turbo hits 60 in 6.5 seconds, returns 34 mpg highway