Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai: Sonata 2.0 Turbo hits 60 in 6.5 seconds, returns 34 mpg highway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 12:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its not very difficult to make a turbo four fast. However I would still prefer a proper NA V6 for the sake of smoothness, quietness and refinement.
Old 06-24-10, 12:37 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This damn Hyundai is better then any honda or acura out. WOW Hyundai FTW!
Old 06-24-10, 12:47 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Funny.... I was telling my wife the same thing when I saw this article. We have already seen the guys with the 2.0 l turbo genesis pull some huge numbers with some tuning. I am assuming it will be just as easy to work this new Sonata turbo
I wouldn't put too much more power in it, since it is still just FWD. I honestly think 274hp from a turbo is pushing it. Are there any reviews on this yet? Torque steer should be a major concern IMO.

Originally Posted by Och
Its not very difficult to make a turbo four fast. However I would still prefer a proper NA V6 for the sake of smoothness, quietness and refinement.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. The current I4 Sonata is already rough and not as refined as the Camry or Accord's I4 models. Now they're gonna put a turbo up against the competitions V6s? In this class smoothness, quietness and refinement are essential and that's something a V6 has that no turbo4 can match.

Originally Posted by lexmenow
This damn Hyundai is better then any honda or acura out. WOW Hyundai FTW!
FWIW, the V6 Honda Accord has best in class fuel efficiency among V6 family sedans (yes better than the Camry). New refreshed Accord beats the Camry's I4 now as well with 34mpg hwy and the new V6 get's 30mpg hwy.

Those numbers are pretty damn close to Hyundai's and Honda is still using an old decrepit 5 speed auto!
Old 06-24-10, 01:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Completely agree.
Old 06-24-10, 10:22 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)

This is exactly what I'm thinking. The current I4 Sonata is already rough and not as refined as the Camry or Accord's I4 models. Now they're gonna put a turbo up against the competitions V6s? In this class smoothness, quietness and refinement are essential and that's something a V6 has that no turbo4 can match.
And you think they are unaware of this?
This is a prime example of Hyundai stepping outside of the box and attempting to lead the segment and start a new trend in this class (instead of copying or following the competition, as they are so often accused of). They could easily throw a V6 into the mix to please the 10% that really want one. However, they also realize that the large majority in this class care not about racing their Sonatas, but rather have a nice fuel efficient family sedan. With the new CAFE standards coming, Hyundai is leading the way and hopefully other automakers will follow suit and only offer a 4 cylinder in this segment. Persuade the people that really want a V6 to step up to an Azera (or in Toyota's case, the Avalon) instead.

I think offering a fuel efficient turbo 4 instead of a V6 is a very smart move
Old 06-24-10, 10:39 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow like 4-5 Hyundai threads on the first page. Who would have thunk it when we all first joined here years ago
I have been impressed with what this car maker has been doing and while I am not ready to consider buying something other than Lexus / Toyota, the momentum of Hyundai is inspiring.
Old 06-24-10, 10:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
This is a prime example of Hyundai stepping outside of the box and attempting to lead the segment and start a new trend in this class (instead of copying or following the competition, as they are so often accused of). They could easily throw a V6 into the mix to please the 10% that really want one. However, they also realize that the large majority in this class care not about racing their Sonatas, but rather have a nice fuel efficient family sedan. With the new CAFE standards coming, Hyundai is leading the way and hopefully other automakers will follow suit and only offer a 4 cylinder in this segment. Persuade the people that really want a V6 to step up to an Azera (or in Toyota's case, the Avalon) instead.

This just couldn't be anymore false.

A turbo 4 is only more economical than a comparable NA V6 as long as you're not pushing it hard into the boost range. Once you push a turbo charged engine hard, it will suck fuel like a thirsty whale.

Manufacturers are able to tune these engines to produce better results during EPA test, but in real life driving, a turbo 4 will most like burn more fuel than a V6. But because of the idiotic CAFE standards, more manufacturers will replace their bigger and better engines with turbo fours. But in real life driving, a turbo 4 will most like burn more fuel than a V6.
Old 06-25-10, 12:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not impressed at all. 6.5 seconds is a poor number for all that horsepower. Something isn't adding up, even if it's 0-62.
Otherwise, a fine vehicle, with a busy dashboard.
Old 06-25-10, 03:30 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
This just couldn't be anymore false.

A turbo 4 is only more economical than a comparable NA V6 as long as you're not pushing it hard into the boost range. Once you push a turbo charged engine hard, it will suck fuel like a thirsty whale.

Manufacturers are able to tune these engines to produce better results during EPA test, but in real life driving, a turbo 4 will most like burn more fuel than a V6. But because of the idiotic CAFE standards, more manufacturers will replace their bigger and better engines with turbo fours. But in real life driving, a turbo 4 will most like burn more fuel than a V6.
In real life driving or aggressive street racing?
I disagree that in day-to-day driving, A V6 will burn less fuel than a 2.0 turbo 4, but I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.

The new CAFE standards no doubt are responsible for the change in Hyundai's decision to not offer a V6 in this class. Having an optional turbo 4 at least provides that extra power that the 10% of their buyers are looking for, while still improving fuel efficiency. As they say, it's 16-17% more efficient than the outgoing V6, so it's a win/win as I see it.

Again though, for purists looking for a naturally aspirated V6, they can always move up to an Azera or Genesis. This decision kills 2 birds with one stone and is a smart move by Hyundai (IMO).
Old 06-25-10, 04:05 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

You read my comment totally wrong.

I'm not really slamming Hyundai, I'm just stating some facts. I've driven the current I4 Sonata and the engine is much rougher and much less refined than the Camry or Accord's I4s. A turbocharged variant will be even rougher and likely won't be comparable to the smoothness of a V6.

I disagree that manufacturers need to resort to turbos in order to achieve high fuel efficiency numbers from their higher horsepower family sedans.

The Honda Accord with V6+VCM is getting 30mpg EPA and that's with a 5 speed auto. Combining cylinder deactivation and modern 6 speed transmissions would net a fuel economy number matching the Sonata Turbo.

There are many ways to get high efficiency from a 270+hp family sedan, and I personally prefer if manufacturers took into account the full driving experience, and not just the EPA numbers.

Anyway Och is right that most turbos burn more gas once the boost kicks in. If Hyundai delayed the boost in order to achieve I4-like EPA numbers that means it's going to feel like 200hp and not 274 hp most of the time. That's something that would be up to the individual if they like it or not. The only nice thing is that once you smash the pedal and drive more aggressively, the rest of the 274hp kicks in via the turbo, but at that point your gas mileage will suffer greatly. V6's are more steady and more stable even when it comes to achieving consistent fuel efficiency and performance results.
Old 06-25-10, 04:25 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by (Cj)
FWIW, the V6 Honda Accord has best in class fuel efficiency among V6 family sedans (yes better than the Camry).
Don't know where you got that information from but it's not a true statement.

Accord V6 19/29
Camry V6 20/29

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/

http://www.toyota.com/camry/
Old 06-25-10, 04:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

In real life driving or aggressive street racing?
I disagree that in day-to-day driving, A V6 will burn less fuel than a 2.0 turbo 4, but I suppose you're entitled to your opinion.
In real life driving, a turbo four will burn more fuel than a comparable NA V6, unless your drive in such way that the turbo never kicks in.

The new CAFE standards no doubt are responsible for the change in Hyundai's decision to not offer a V6 in this class. Having an optional turbo 4 at least provides that extra power that the 10% of their buyers are looking for, while still improving fuel efficiency. As they say, it's 16-17% more efficient than the outgoing V6, so it's a win/win as I see it.
To me its a lose/lose. First of all, I don't appreciate CAFE standards being shoved down our throats, and no doubt more manufacturers will have to resort to this turbo charged gimmick. Like I said before, these turbocharged engines are rough, unrefined and less driveable compared to V6 and in most cases less efficient.

Again though, for purists looking for a naturally aspirated V6, they can always move up to an Azera or Genesis. This decision kills 2 birds with one stone and is a smart move by Hyundai (IMO).
The Azera and the Genesis are quite a bit more expensive, and its just not a viable solution. What if someone wants the Sonata for its combination of features and value, but prefers it with a V6?
Old 06-25-10, 04:46 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Guys, dont forget that there are EPA ratings, and then theres real life fuel economy. When it comes to turbo charged engines, EPA ratings do not reflect reality at all.
Old 06-25-10, 05:03 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Don't know where you got that information from but it's not a true statement.

Accord V6 19/29
Camry V6 20/29

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/

http://www.toyota.com/camry/
My bad. I was thinking of the pre-refresh Camry which was rated at 19/28.

The new refreshed Accord coming out in a few months will be rated at 19/30, though.
Old 06-25-10, 06:01 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
In real life driving, a turbo four will burn more fuel than a comparable NA V6, unless your drive in such way that the turbo never kicks in.

To me its a lose/lose. First of all, I don't appreciate CAFE standards being shoved down our throats, and no doubt more manufacturers will have to resort to this turbo charged gimmick. Like I said before, these turbocharged engines are rough, unrefined and less driveable compared to V6 and in most cases less efficient.
I have to laugh at this post because it is full of falsehoods

Quick Reply: Hyundai: Sonata 2.0 Turbo hits 60 in 6.5 seconds, returns 34 mpg highway