Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 09:26 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan

I've ALWAYS been a huge fan of the early 60's Lincoln Continental Sedans and have always dreamt of owning one. Well...today, that dream became reality. I'm a proud co-owner of a good condition 1962 Lincoln
Continental Sedan. This vehicle is rich with history. It was willed and passed down to my uncle and I. The car is actually under my name. This vehicle belonged to my uncle's long time friend who recently passed away
(R.I.P. Charles), who actually never drove the car. It was his mothers car which was passed along to him. He really didn't like this car, but he held onto it based on its sentimental value. It has been garaged the
last 26 years, getting fired up every now and then to just keep the engine running.I first laid eyes on this beautiful car 14 years ago and was in total awe. I lifted the car cover and I knew right then and there that I was in love. Back then, My uncle and I were busy tuning the "Rice Rockets". So, for me to appreciate an american car back then was out of the ordinary. I grew up around Imports my whole life. This car changed that perception. In fact, I asked him if I could drive it despite being only 15 years old and not having a drivers license...lol.He said, and these were his words, "Don't worry, it'll be yours one day...". My uncle and I never had the opportunity to actually drive it.

Fast forward to Spring 2010

The unexpected had happened to our friend unfortunately. He had succumbed to an illness.We were so grateful of all the things he left behind for us, some of which came to us as a total surprise. Even with what he left behind for us, still does not justify the fact that he is gone from us. I've never really realized how fragile life is and this experience will make me appreciate the smaller, over-looked things in life more. We take so many things for granted. So make sure you take a small step back and realize what's most important to you now. So a new chapter has started in my life. My uncle and I decided to do the right thing for him and this Lincoln. He loved his mother dearly,so we wanted to carry on "the torch" in his and his mothers honor. This car will be only passed on within my family from now on.

First step is almost complete. The motor and all the mechanics of the car are being addressed as we speak. Just mounted new white wall tires for that old school look. Next, the interior will be re-done.

Without further-a-do, I present to y'all a well preserved 1962 Lincoln Continental Sedan. Enjoy

- All original Sultana White Exterior and White/Honey Beige Two Tone Interior
- 60k original miles
- Original Black/Yellow CA Plates

Makes my Tacoma look small...lol. I'm amazed on how well they incorporated all that chrome onto this car. I'm
not a huge fan of chrome, but this car has just the right amount, strategically placed in the right areas.

The 1962 "Rectangle blocks" front grille...

The most recognizable feature of this car, the "Suicide Doors"

Check out the nice Woodgrain finish on the steering wheel!

The powered front bench seat, with the old school lap belts.

Evrything in this car is in great shape, including the steering wheel and column shifter...wood "shift ****"...lol

60,798 exact miles...amazing...equates to roughly 1,267 miles per year over for this 48 year old beauty!
Old 06-16-10, 09:26 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Continued...
The radio tuner and center front vents...check out those cool vent adjustment *****...

The wood covered glove box with the signature 1962 script

The drivers door controls, equipped with power windows.

The rear bench seats, hardly used...the chrome B-pillars are still so shiny, you can see my reflection!

Straight body on both sides...a testament to how well the car has been cared for.

Again, the signature "Continental" script on the rear fenders

Wide rear end...

A couple more days and she'll be completely road worthy...

Thanks for looking guys...I'll be updating all of you along the journey as much and as soon as I'm able to!
Old 06-16-10, 09:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, sorry about your friend, but congrats on the car. Looks like it need a good interior overhaul, and she'll be in show worthy condition.

Back in 1995, my uncle and his family sold their coop and bought a condo, and in the process they rented an apartment from an old lady for a couple months. During these couple months, my uncles lease on his Avalon ended, and with all the mortgage and closing expenses he didn't want another monthly payment on a new car, so he was looking for a cheap used car. It turned out that his landlady had an early 70ies oldsmobile sitting in her garage. The car was bought by her late husband, who passed away shortly after he bought the car, and the car has pretty much been sitting in the garage ever since. She took it out once a blue moon to go shopping, and the car had ridiculously low mileage on it and was in near perfect condition. My uncle bought the car from the lady for 50 bucks, and drove it for two years (the only thing he replaced on it were brakes, tires and a modern aftermarket radio).

Two years later he got himself a new Camry and donated the car to salvation army with around 30k miles on the clock. What I shame, I wasn't into cars back then, otherwise I would've bought the car from him.
Old 06-16-10, 09:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

nice ride. I would dump some money into paint, air suspension, and HUGE 24" wheels. LOL.

This is what I would want mine to look like
Attached Thumbnails Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan-31751800019_large.jpg   Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan-31751800024_large.jpg   Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan-31751800023_large.jpg   Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan-31751800021_large.jpg   Let's rewind back to 1962...An Iconic American Luxury Sedan-31751800018_large.jpg  

Old 06-17-10, 06:40 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

That's a nice '64 Convertible, but the only thing I might end up doing is Air Suspension. I honestly don't like the big wheels on these cars...

keep the pics coming if you got em guys!
Old 06-17-10, 06:41 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Wow, sorry about your friend, but congrats on the car. Looks like it need a good interior overhaul, and she'll be in show worthy condition.

Back in 1995, my uncle and his family sold their coop and bought a condo, and in the process they rented an apartment from an old lady for a couple months. During these couple months, my uncles lease on his Avalon ended, and with all the mortgage and closing expenses he didn't want another monthly payment on a new car, so he was looking for a cheap used car. It turned out that his landlady had an early 70ies oldsmobile sitting in her garage. The car was bought by her late husband, who passed away shortly after he bought the car, and the car has pretty much been sitting in the garage ever since. She took it out once a blue moon to go shopping, and the car had ridiculously low mileage on it and was in near perfect condition. My uncle bought the car from the lady for 50 bucks, and drove it for two years (the only thing he replaced on it were brakes, tires and a modern aftermarket radio).

Two years later he got himself a new Camry and donated the car to salvation army with around 30k miles on the clock. What I shame, I wasn't into cars back then, otherwise I would've bought the car from him.

Thanks for your post,
These are the types of stories I like to hear
Old 06-17-10, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

60's vintage Lincolns won awards for their styling, and were the favorite of President John F. Kennedy until his assasination (he and Governor Connally, of course, were shot in a Lincoln Continental convertible riding through Dallas).

Lincolns of 60s/70s vintage (trust me) wrote the book on ride comfort. My late father, when he retired from the Army in 1969, went to work for Philco-Ford, and often brought home big, company-owned luxury Mercurys and Lincoln luxomobiles at night. As I was generally a careful teen-driver who could be trusted, he'd toss me the keys and say "Go try her out, Mike" (he knew I loved cars)....and I'd take it out for a spin just to enjoy the ride (and, as a courtesy, put a few gallons of premium gas in it, as these were notorious gas-guzzlers).

And......Good Heavens, what a ride. He brought home a company-VP Continental one night, and, to this day, I don't think I've ever driven a smoother-riding car. You could drop the wheels into a two-foot pothole and not feel it (the tall-profile, soft tires, massive ladder-frame, and soft but rugged suspension prevented damage). Its 5400-lb. weight, and low stance, gave it the directional stability of a battleship.

Today's top-line Lexus LS models are probably a little quieter overall, but nothing I can remember since then (even the LS) can beat the 60's Lincoln ride smoothness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-17-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 10:25 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember those cars well. Still see a few restored examples out on the road in the summer months around here.
Old 06-17-10, 10:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Today's top-line Lexus LS models are probably a little quieter overall, but nothing I can remember since then (even the LS) can beat the 60's Lincoln ride smoothness.
Yes, too bad the Lincoln couldn't stop, handle or accelerate nearly as well as the LS models (therefore active safety was terrible), but they could induce vomiting from all of the up and down cycling of mushy suspension, terrible body roll when cornering and massive brake dive when stopping. The Lincolns were a nice living room on wheels with low capabilities, I've been in many.
Old 06-17-10, 10:34 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What a magnificent piece of automotive history. I'm sorry to hear about your friend but clearly he knew you would cherish and care for this well preserved example of 60's luxury. Use and care for it well.
Old 06-17-10, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, too bad the Lincoln couldn't stop, handle or accelerate nearly as well as the LS models (therefore active safety was terrible), but they could induce vomiting from all of the up and down cycling of mushy suspension, terrible body roll when cornering and massive brake dive when stopping. The Lincolns were a nice living room on wheels with low capabilities, I've been in many.
Agreed. Generally no arguments there on the road manners, although Lincolns DID have power front disc/rear drum brakes at a time when Cadillac and Imperial were still using all-drums. Discounting the 1948 Tucker Torpedo (of which only 51 were built) Ford , Studebaker, and the Corvette first pioneered disc brakes on American cars in the 1960's. The 1971 Lincoln and Imperial both offered anti-lock brakes (the first ones I know of on production cars), but there were few takers, and the option was dropped, not to surface again until some 20 years later.

And, one has to take account that Lincolns and Cadillacs of that vintage were EXACTLY what their owners wanted.....rolling living rooms, as you put it. The Imperial, for instance, like most Chrysler products, used a front-torsion-bar/rear-leaf suspension that was just a little firmer (and transmitted more road noise), but handled slightly better than the pillow-soft, all-coil Lincoln/Cadillac set-up (the FWD Cadillac Eldorado/Olds Toronado also used front-torsion). The Imperials' sales, as a result, never equalled those of Cadillac or Lincoln. Most Luxo-buyers of the time wanted just that....a living room.