Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Infiniti's launch of the M37/56
Infiniti marketing contiues to be just horrible
23.91%
Doesn't matter it wouldn't sell anyway
26.09%
Infiniti marketing is just fine and it works
13.04%
Wait, a new Infiniti came out?
21.74%
Pictures of these leprachauns holding the pixie dust please
13.04%
Doesn't matter how bad the advertising is with class leading lease deals
2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Infiniti still doesn't get it and has dropped the ball on the M37/56

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-10, 07:58 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
No idea whats going on with Infiniti advertising, I rarely watch TV and when I do, I usually stream it, most of Infiniti advertising for me pops up on several websites and forums, so I see enough of the car and get the blurbs of horsepower etc... so I don't think they dropped the ball, but don't the potential owners of these cars work and have jobs, and are career oriented, I bought my Maxima and never saw one commercial for it, but I researched every detail and spec on it, so if I'm about to purchase/lease an M/E or 5 no commercial is gonna be the game changer for me.

I think Infiniti is still the underdog compared to the likes of BMW/MB and Lexus, and I don't thing they are gonna sell a ton of 50k cars over night or month to month.

Look at the damage Ford, Chrysler and GM have done, they are no where near as big as they once where, can they get back to that size, maybe but not overnight
Not sure where you are going with this but I still see tons of Maxima ads in print, in various magazines. The print ads for the Infiniti are in various mags as well. Various as in car magazines and financial magazines.

Originally Posted by Ethix
The thing I've always disliked about the majority of Infiniti models is that they're forgettable. ).
This is the opening to the M56 review in C&D. Sadly I think it sums it all up perfectly.

Pity Infiniti. After 21 years on the market and an amount of cash spent on advertising to at least equal this season’s Yankees payroll, Nissan’s upscale brand is still often misspelled with a “y.” One day last March, the Los Angeles Craigslist website had 79 ads for used “Infinity” vehicles.

Poor Infiniti. The brand lurches along, mainly on sales of the divine G sedan and coupe, but it’s quietly getting its clock cleaned by Acura, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW. Each of those last three brands outsells Infiniti by more than two to one
Originally Posted by encore888
In recent years, Infiniti's marketing has improved somewhat compared to the forgettable decade past. I've liked the G35/37 spots, particularly the 'wave' which is about the acceleration sensation, and also the swimming spot about the engine 'breathing'. The brushstroke has been hit-and-miss. That being said, they've gone from slogan to slogan, between the 'Design' motif and then 'Inspired Performance' etc. Going all the way back to the infamous Rocks & Trees campaign and 'Own One And You'll Understand.' And their other model ads haven't been quite as successful. Also the G35/37 ads are similar to the Acura TL launch ads.

The new M seems to be a solid effort, although the riot of curves inside and out doesn't count for wonderful styling in my book, particularly the grille and the center stack/below. As expected with Infiniti, a monster of an engine and larger dimensions than class rivals. I like the gold dust and the forest air breeze--may seem gimmicky to some, but sounds like a unique touch. That being said those features shouldn't be the focus of the campaign. Similar to how the Q45 marketing had a focus being the 'gatling-gun' type headlights. In contrast, the LSh marketing was not about the first-ever LED headlights.

With competition increasing in the segment, Infiniti has had an opportunity to be more relevant and successful with the M since the second generation model. There are a number of factors, the increase in price, brand image, and new rivals which may squeeze that. But to capitalize on the new model and make a bigger splash, a different approach is likely needed.

On a related note, a former Nissan/Infiniti ad exec has just been named Group Creative Director at Lexus USA's ad agency, Team One. The press release claims work on "the launches of the Nissan Xterra, Altima and Infiniti Q45, which are among the most successful campaigns in the automaker's history." Considering that of these three, the Q45 has been discontinued and is better known for the infamous Rocks & Trees campaign, this had me concerned. However, it seems that the agency involved in that first launch was jettisoned, and the new hire was involved in the latest gen launch, with ads as follows:
That is amazing to me as well. They dropped the ball completely on the Q45 debut and yes, they seemed to focus on "worlds brightest headlights" in ads. Instead of the Q45 leading the resurgence it failed and the G35 did the leading, the entry level model. I can't understand how they are basically repeating a similar ad campaign for the new M37/56. It deserves better!

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Maybe I'm reading this whole post wrong, but I have read and heard nothing but *****ing about how the new Ms handle, that the tire/wheel set-up was done horribly wrong... and the big discounts out of the gate ($3K off in month ONE) are a reflection of poor design and build, not marketing. Seems everyone is talking about marketing and branding, not quality.

Maybe I need some more coffee this morning and re-read the threads...
I've reviewed the M56 already so I'm not going to completely rehash its pros/cons. While I felt it wasn't worth the money I also feel its a very solid entry in this class so it needs some good advertising "to get the name out". Could they have missed the mark with this car (Styling, price, features, etc)? Its possible. While some will say "its the product stupid" I feel that marketing/advertising has just blown it here. They debuted it all wrong and the current advertisements are horrible. Thus my focus for this thread, the dismal advertising.

Old 06-12-10, 08:06 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've reviewed the M56 already so I'm not going to completely rehash its pros/cons. While I felt it wasn't worth the money I also feel its a very solid entry in this class so it needs some good advertising "to get the name out". Could they have missed the mark with this car (Styling, price, features, etc)? Its possible. While some will say "its the product stupid" I feel that marketing/advertising has just blown it here. They debuted it all wrong and the current advertisements are horrible. Thus my focus for this thread, the dismal advertising.
Gotcha!! ...and two cups o' Joe helped as well!!!
Old 06-12-10, 01:23 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

I was watching the commerical and I hear the words forest breeze AC. What the hell. The car is all bulgy and it looks bloated.
Old 06-12-10, 11:24 PM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

When I saw the new $579 lease/4 grand down ad last night, I knew that THEY KNEW they had to resort to those shenanigans again to sell this vehicle.

Here are sales thus far

March-1,440
April-1,212
May-1,065.

I don't care what anyone says, they completely have dropped the ball with the release of the M37/56. Considering fanboi hype and the specs I think many of us were expecting this vehicle to make some serious ground in this class. Well thus far this car has the buzz of of a new Eddie Murphy Movie and sales have been pretty dismal for an all new model.

Here is a good example of how NOT to launch your "flagship" vehicle.

1. Release some pictures at Pebble Beach, not the actual vehicle.
2. Have the Nissan Fuga debut in the flesh BEFORE the Infiniti badged vehicle.
3. Skip major auto shows and smaller auto shows. Show car at a hotel if possible.
4. Raise your MSRP substantially

And the worst mistake

5. Go back to damn near retro "Rock and tree" advertising.

Advertising is HORRIBLE for this vehicle, just HORRIBLE. Has anyone seen commercials on TV or in print? They are terrible. Not ONE AD mentions the class leading 330 and 420hp! Not one!! The TV ads are seemingly two spots. At least they had the brains to show it with the 20s, the only way the car looks good.

1. Ad explains the dumbass Forest Breeze feature. WHO CARES!
2. Ad explains some damn gypsie pixie silver dust in ONE wood choice. WHO CARES!

Then they end it with "Inspired Performance". Huh? So a nice A/C system and some leprechaun dust in the wood is "Inspired Performance"??

The other ad if I remember shows the vehicle driving and they explain it has more power but consumes less fuel. Thats great, HOW MUCH YOU MORONS? Then they show the optional lane departure system which is really for drunks. Then again ended with "Inspired Performance"

The ads in print are no better. They are HORRIBLE
1. Show small pic of vehicle
2. Have a 10 paragraph explanation of non interesting things like Forest Breeze A/C etc
3. Show pic of Engineer for some odd reason
4. Add the usual Infiniti squiggly lines from a drunk artist

New vehicle with sales going DOWN and inventory is PLENTIFUL. As Charles Barkley would say "Turrible, just Turrible". May was an AWFUL month for this brand new vehicle. Only up 65% from last year. Last year was the worst Auto Year in recent memory AND the last year of that old car. Sales should be up 200%, not 65%. It only sold 300+ more units than the 5 year old GS/A6. Sigh.....So here come the lease deals....

FYI, the new 5 series begins being sold THIS MONTH, so the drop in sales cannot be attributed to that car at all. I've driven the M56 and its a very solid entry in this field again and its a shame Infiniti is its own biggest enemy here.
Like the outgoing M model, the M is still a much superior car than the Lexus GS
Old 06-13-10, 06:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lamar411
I was watching the commerical and I hear the words forest breeze AC. What the hell. The car is all bulgy and it looks bloated.
The print ads are the same, a hot mess.

Henry bumped my review of the 2011 5 series and his comments echo mine. It is the bar in this class. It really is superb. However we both feel the E class is just a huge miss and really not that great. Outside of badge not sure why anyone would chose the E-class over it from what I've seen. The M37/56 has faults like all cars in this class but it is LEGIT.

I've also shared this interior when the pics first came out but I can't find it on the USA site...seems its not available here. Absolutely stunning interior combination. Even with the **** on the dash

Old 06-26-10, 08:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I was just reading a new C&D comparo. Here are the results:

213 points Audi A6 3.0T
208 points Infiniti M37
204 points BMW 535i

Audi is doing well lately in these comparos.
Old 06-26-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Advertising is HORRIBLE for this vehicle, just HORRIBLE. Has anyone seen commercials on TV or in print? They are terrible. Not ONE AD mentions the class leading 330 and 420hp! Not one!!
I'm not sure that a lack of power-emphasis is the problem, even today. Think back to when the original Q45 was introduced. Infiniti did just as you suggested here.....strongly emphasizd the Q45's greater power and more athletic chassis over the LS400. The result was a disaster.......new Qs sat around on the lot collecting dust and bird droppings, while the LS400s, in contrast, sold like hotcakes.
Old 06-26-10, 09:04 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Though I would take the M over the GS products without batting an eye, I agree, Infiniti's advertising have always lagged behind Lexus. Good products, horrible advertising.
Old 06-26-10, 09:51 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I was just reading a new C&D comparo. Here are the results:

213 points Audi A6 3.0T
208 points Infiniti M37
204 points BMW 535i

Audi is doing well lately in these comparos.
the new M just came out.
The E60 has been out for ...how long?
Old 06-26-10, 10:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
the new M just came out.
The article said the Audi was thee oldest of the bunch. I guess it also won previous comapro of $50k sedans last September.
Old 06-26-10, 10:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
the new M just came out.
Is that the NEW 5? And it came LAST in a C&D comparo? There must be something in the water as BMW has been missing the first place mark in a number of C&D gunfights lately.
Old 06-26-10, 10:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure that a lack of power-emphasis is the problem, even today. Think back to when the original Q45 was introduced. Infiniti did just as you suggested here.....strongly emphasizd the Q45's greater power and more athletic chassis over the LS400. The result was a disaster.......new Qs sat around on the lot collecting dust and bird droppings, while the LS400s, in contrast, sold like hotcakes.
Mike the first gen advertised the infamous "rocks and trees" campaign actually, known as one of the worst ad campaigns in auto history. The LS had the champagne flute ad in comparison, an ad so legendary Lexus used the glass the with the LFA.

Old 06-26-10, 10:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, in one of my advertising classes last semester we did a Lexus vs. Infiniti case study from 1990 and discussed how badly Infiniti missed the mark.

Sad when the company is used as a case study on failure
Old 06-26-10, 10:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I finally saw one M37 outside of a dealer lot display. It was in front of Jack-in-the Box, but had dealer plates, probably driven there by dorq salesperson.
Old 06-26-10, 10:50 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

I drove both the 5er and the M recently and I've got to say, besides the terrible advertising I just didn't think the M was as good a vehicle either. I felt that the basic M rode rougher than the sport package 5er and the M, as all Infiniti products recently, despite looking good just felt cheap on the inside. And speaking of the good looking inside, it's striking at first but after a 10 minute drive I started to grow tired of the never ending waves and curves.

Quick Reply: Infiniti still doesn't get it and has dropped the ball on the M37/56