Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Loaner Review - 2010 IS250 & RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 07:14 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lexus Loaner Review - 2010 IS250 & RX350

I dropped off my LS430 at Lexus of Lansing yesterday and they ended up keeping it overnight awaiting a part. The first loaner I received was a 2010 IS250:

- Just over 100 miles on the odo, nicely equipped with nav, cooled seats, and Enform.

- I only drove it about 15 miles in town. Power seemed OK for that use. Didn't get the opportunity to get it up to speed.

- Nice sporty suspension.

- Headroom was tight. My head rubbed against the headliner after multiple seat adjustments. Overall, the car was too small for me.

When the dealership diagnosed the problem with my steering column and had to order the retract motor, they asked me to swap loaners. The IS250 was so new that they didn't have a chance to put the protective film on the front end.

The next vehicle was a 2010 RX350:

- About 12K on the odo. Fairly base unit with no nav and no parking sensors.

- I called this the "beater" - it had three star breaks in the windshield, dirty seats, dirty carpets, dirty trim, some nasty rattles in the back, and cold start tick.

- Seat comfort was very good for me. I lamented not having cooled seats until I found the rotary switch under the extended center armrest. I didn't think that was the best design.

- I drove the car about 90 miles - my normal commute. Freeway comfort was great. Handling was competent for the vehicle class. (I used to lease a 1st generation SRX.) Power was OK.

- I isolated the loudest rear rattle to the part of the cargo cover that attaches to the rear hatch. It wasn't snapped in completely on the right side. I didn't figure out the other noise, but it may have been creaking door or hatch seals.

- When I started the car this morning and this afternoon, there was some cold start tick from the engine. The service manager said it was due to relocation of the inectors to the top of the engine and use of thinner synthetic oil.

- My wife transfers from a wheelchair, so I test all cars in regards to that. The seat height measurement I use that mimics her knee action measured 33". (Anything over 30" is unlikely to work without a step.) Sure enough, I had to lay her backwards into the car and then muscle her lower half in. Certainly doesn't work for us without a step.

- I liked the front seat storage areas. The ability to remove the cup holder divider from the center compartment was great for those of us that don't drink and drive (or use the door mounted holders).

- I was surprised that the rear seat releases in the back were a bit balky. Neither worked smoothly. I used to lease a Lincoln MKZ (Ford Fusion) that had this feature and it worked much better.

- I was disappointed that the rear seats folded at an angle rather than flat.

Overall, I really liked the RX. If the RX330 or RX300 sit lower, I may consider picking one up as a winter driver.
Old 06-03-10, 07:27 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

for some reason, most RX loaners are beaters. I mean loaners in general are dirty, but the RXs get such a beating.

Glad you enjoyed the RX. You can probably find an RX330 with the Sports package that has air suspension. My RX ride height goes to its lowest point when the engine is turned off, which might be helpful to your wife.
Old 06-03-10, 07:48 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Thanks for the hint on the sports package.
Old 06-03-10, 09:03 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

edit: its called the performance package. It was on the tip of my tongue when I typed it but I couldnt remember what it was called
Old 06-03-10, 09:20 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 12k mi beater. Windshield = ouch!
Old 06-03-10, 09:58 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

i dont know what people do in those loaners. I think Lexus has a program where you can rent a loaner for a weekend, like a rent-a-car/enterprise system, so that you can take it on road trips. The cars have dirt all over the inside, mud prints on the seats, which just isnt possible for driving around town. Not sure if such program exists, but I would think so based on the usage
Old 06-04-10, 05:12 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

When I was showing the service manager where I fixed the rattle on the hatch, he noticed the mess and commented that he really needed to get the car cleaned.

When I was swapping loaners the day before, I looked at a used GX for my son. (He wants to buy a SUV this summer and I'm encouraging him to look beyond a Yukon Denali and Escalade.) The GX had just come in on trade and was filthy. It looked like most of someone's stone driveway had buried the floor mats.

I have trouble understanding why people treat any car that way. I keep the interiors of my cars, even my chore truck, nearly spotless - way cleaner than my house. Dealers and leasing companies love getting my trade-in or lease return. Then again, I have OCPD when it comes to vehicles.
Old 06-04-10, 10:08 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

never knew the RX had the sport suspension with air until yesterday

Originally Posted by caddyowner

I have trouble understanding why people treat any car that way. I keep the interiors of my cars, even my chore truck, nearly spotless - way cleaner than my house. Dealers and leasing companies love getting my trade-in or lease return. Then again, I have OCPD when it comes to vehicles.
I usually associate the way how people keep their car.

If their car is clean, those people take the time and is a clean person.

If people don't give a crap, throw trash, disgusting rotting food in their car, dents all over their car, that pretty much sums up their characteristics

When I turned in my GX, I cleaned it and even vacuum the inside. It was spotless.

I wouldn't hesitate picking up a used GX-I had one before
Go for an 05+, with KDSS if possible.

I didn't recommend it to you since you mentioned no imports.
Old 06-04-10, 10:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It only moves like an inch and doesn't dance like the old Range Rovers. Now they were fun to play with Lexus dropped air suspension for 2010, at least on US builds.
Old 06-04-10, 10:27 AM
LexFather

That "tick" probably was the Direct Injection you were hearing.

Very solid reviews!

Old 06-04-10, 10:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 172 Likes on 146 Posts

caddyowner, glad you like the RX. It is pretty different than previous gens. Not to say the others were bad. I've been happy with all of mine.

You don't know how many times I've been tempted to take some window cleaner or a vacuum to a loaner. I'm pretty **** about things like that. Fortunately I don't get them very often. An IS250? Man, my dealer doesn't loan them out anymore
Old 06-04-10, 10:50 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

the RX doesnt have direct injection. plagues the ES too.

Last edited by RXSF; 06-04-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-04-10, 10:55 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

I usually associate the way how people keep their car.

If their car is clean, those people take the time and is a clean person.

If people don't give a crap, throw trash, disgusting rotting food in their car, dents all over their car, that pretty much sums up their characteristics

When I turned in my GX, I cleaned it and even vacuum the inside. It was spotless.

I wouldn't hesitate picking up a used GX-I had one before
Go for an 05+, with KDSS if possible.

I didn't recommend it to you since you mentioned no imports.
I also think like that, if you cant keep pride in the ownership tht shows something about the person

The RX350's are usually very dirty because they are used by people with families (?). I brought that up with the rental guy and thats what he said
Old 06-04-10, 01:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Good reasons being discussed here to avoid CPO's that were loaners.
Old 06-04-10, 02:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good reasons being discussed here to avoid CPO's that were loaners.
Exactly, Lexus loaners in my experience have often been very dirty, and thoroughly beat up. I have never had Mercedes loaners in that poor of condition over the last decade, just an observation.

But in general I avoid loaner cars at all cost.

Quick Reply: Lexus Loaner Review - 2010 IS250 & RX350