Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT (Infiniti G25) First Drive; 222 hp 2.5-liter V6

Old 06-01-10, 04:59 AM
LexFather

Post 2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT (Infiniti G25) First Drive; 222 hp 2.5-liter V6

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/201...rst-drive.html

Most of us gravitate toward the fastest, most powerful model in any performance car range because, as we all know, speed thrills.

Such is the case in Japan, where Nissan fields two versions of the long-running Skyline sport sedan, kissing cousins to the Infiniti G37 sedan sold in the U.S. Chances are that most of us would slap down our money on the hood of the Nissan Skyline 370GT with its 3.7-liter V6. After all, it has the most punch, the most tech as well as the most speed and, in the current universe of the Skyline V36-Series sedan, it's the hottest ticket in town.

But wait. With a bit less fanfare, Nissan can also offer you the Nissan Skyline 250GT. The looks are just the same and it still packs a hard-edged V6 like the 370GT. It is cheaper, and while it has less power and torque, it's still more than competitive against the BMW 328i and Lexus IS 250.

So let's think the unthinkable for a second. Could the Skyline 250GT actually offer a more satisfying drive than the more endowed Skyline 370GT? Or put another way, is a 2.5-liter V6 enough engine for this class of sport sedan?

Well, we'll find out because the 2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT will be coming to the U.S. as the 2011 Infiniti G25, filling out the bottom end of the Infiniti model range.

South Bay Nissan
We schlepped down to Nissan's high-tech base in Yokohama right on Tokyo Bay to sample the 2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT. There, ready to roll, we came upon a rear-wheel-drive Nissan 250GT Type P, one of the top models in the extensive and rather bewildering range of Skyline models in the Japanese domestic market (JDM). Lift the hood and you find the muscular VQ25HR V6 (yes, another version of the ubiquitous VQ-Series V6) displacing 2,495cc. It puts out 222 horsepower at 6,800 rpm and 194 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm. It's matched with Nissan's latest seven-speed automatic transmission.

Ah, Skyline. It's still one of Japan's great badges, symbolizing speed and hard-core driving fun. While the Skyline nameplate dates back to 1957 when it was part of the Prince car company (later absorbed by Nissan), variously exotic, high-powered, race-winning examples of the Skyline GT-R truly put Skyline on the map, starting with the classic 1969 "Hakosuka" GT-R of 1969, which was effectively the Japanese-style BMW M3 of its day.

Into the modern era and the Godzilla GT-R R32 of 1989, and the R33 and R34 models that followed, stunningly rewrote the Skyline legend, both in Japan and in the PlayStation world. While the sedan we're driving today is a lot less exotic than all that, it's a fact that the Skyline badge, those trademark round taillights and classic high-performance formula still get the senses buzzing.

On the Expressway, Headed Out of Town
Driving out of the depths of the garage beneath Nissan tech central, we swing out into urban Yokohama and soon hit one of Japan's fast overhead expressways, heading out of town. Here's the good news. It takes less than a couple of miles to ascertain that the 250GT has what it takes to qualify as a genuine sport sedan.

It feels effortlessly fast. It's refined and the taut chassis is a peach — the handling fluid and well-balanced but also deliciously sharp. Any fears that the 250GT might come over as a kind of sluggard with a poverty motor can be swiftly laid to rest. Praise be, it's not like that at all.

Fact is, it's the same as the Skyline 370GT (the car we know as the Infiniti G37), only different. There's the same easy, natural gait on the straights and big grip in the corners, the same kind of brawny V6 performance and smooth-shifting auto box (albeit with no shift paddles in this case).

Of course, with only 222 hp and 190 lb-ft of torque, the 250GT is not on the same pace as the 370GT with its 328 hp and 269 lb-ft of torque. But you'd be surprised. The 2.5-liter V6 produces the goods lower down the rev scale and its throttle response still feels encouragingly sharp and flexible, as the engine pulls cleanly in the low-to-intermediate speed ranges. It works.

Unfortunately, the 250GT's DOHC, 24-valve, 2,495cc V6 is still dogged by the same flaw as the bigger 3.7-liter V6. That is to say, it becomes gruff and harsh well ahead of the 7,500-rpm redline. By the time the tachometer climbs to 4,000-5,000 rpm, old-school NVH issues have kicked in. It's a gritty trait some 370Z owners would recognize and maybe even relish, but something BMW drivers would never countenance.

Highway Refinement
When you're around town or cruising the highway, the little V6 is perfectly well-mannered. Rumors that Nissan might be getting next-gen V6 motors from Mercedes instead of engineering a VQ replacement mean this engine could be the last of its type from Nissan, although you have to wonder frankly if that is such a bad thing in a car of this class.

How fast is the 250GT? Nissan in Japan won't say, as Japanese manufacturers at home shy away from giving out performance numbers, weird as that sounds. With its quick-shifting seven-speed automatic (no version of this car in Japan is available with a manual transmission), we'd guess the 250GT should crack 60 mph in less than 7 seconds. Such a number doesn't flatter the car, but the Skyline 250GT feels much better and fleeter than its official stats.

Top marks for the Skyline's rear-drive chassis, which feels really well set up. Again, it takes just a couple of decent corners to appreciate its unusually sweet balance between ride and handling. This is an easy car to drive fast, one with a supple ride that also responds eagerly to steering inputs. There is very little roll, good turn-in and strong grip at both ends of the car.

Want to try harder? On the open road, it takes a lot to get the 250GT to emulate one of Japan's powersliding D1 drift cars. First you must turn off the stability control, but the breakaway is telegraphed to you well ahead of time and you can correct with a bit of opposite lock.

Packaged for America

The rest of the 250GT package is just as the 370GT, and you'd quickly recognize it as an Infiniti G sedan. We shouldn't read too much into the price of the 2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT Type P, as the equivalent of $42,777 reflects not only local taxes but also yen-shock. No doubt the car's price would be carefully tweaked to compete with the BMW 328i and Lexus IS 250.

What really counts is that Nissan's sport sedan still cuts it against front-line competition with a 2.5-liter V6. The 2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT has more spirit than the more polished IS 250 and can do a lot of what the 328i does for a lot less money.

Old 06-01-10, 05:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i think this is a good move
Old 06-01-10, 07:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ agree. Nissan sourcing V6s from Mercedes would be ridiculous...Mercedes has never built a 6 cylinder as good as the VQ in recent memory.
Old 06-01-10, 10:24 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anybody think this will just simply take away sales from the G37?
Old 06-01-10, 10:31 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another addition to the turtle boat crew.
Old 06-01-10, 10:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Another addition to the turtle boat crew.
Good thing we don't get the near dead turtles BMW/benz/Audi sells in Europe.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I said that before I think its going to sadly cannibalize sales. I hope they put this in the coupe/convert as well.

Old 06-01-10, 11:04 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Won't this add sales to Infiniti for people looking for a mid size luxury car but with better gas mileage, big engines are great but sitting in traffic using more gas then you need eventually becomes a painful cost.

I know several people who leased 328 cause it was the only car in it's class with a respectable amount of power, now Infiniti will have one
Old 06-01-10, 12:35 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

There have been plenty of people who have walked away from the G because the base model is simply more powerful than they feel comfortable with.
Old 06-01-10, 12:36 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Won't this add sales to Infiniti for people looking for a mid size luxury car but with better gas mileage, big engines are great but sitting in traffic using more gas then you need eventually becomes a painful cost.

I know several people who leased 328 cause it was the only car in it's class with a respectable amount of power, now Infiniti will have one
It will both add to and take away from sales in a way.

More sales will come because of the cheap G25, but G37 sales are pretty much going to drop off. That's not a bad thing though, because more sales is more sales.

My guess is that Infiniti will sell on average 5000 G sedans a month , with a ratio of 4000 G25s and 1000 G37s. If my guess is right that means G37 sales would go down 75% but overall G sales would be up 25%.

But as I said sales are sales and that's not a bad thing.
Old 06-01-10, 12:52 PM
LexFather

Wait a manual is not available with this engine in Japan? Thats odd.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-01-10 at 01:01 PM.

Old 06-01-10, 01:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
It will both add to and take away from sales in a way.

More sales will come because of the cheap G25, but G37 sales are pretty much going to drop off. That's not a bad thing though, because more sales is more sales.

My guess is that Infiniti will sell on average 5000 G sedans a month , with a ratio of 4000 G25s and 1000 G37s. If my guess is right that means G37 sales would go down 75% but overall G sales would be up 25%.

But as I said sales are sales and that's not a bad thing.
Throw the possible G series boring Hybrid in the mix.
Old 06-01-10, 01:01 PM
LexFather

Throw the possible G series boring Hybrid in the mix.
So you have driven this hybrid G37? Please share with us!

Old 06-01-10, 01:05 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So you have driven this hybrid G37? Please share with us!
Hybrid=artifical driving experience regardless of brand. It is like sitting on a park bench reading the news paper. I would like to hear my engine on start up and hear that motor when I give it gas..
Old 06-01-10, 01:11 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Hybrid=artifical driving experience regardless of brand. It is like sitting on a park bench reading the news paper. I would like to hear my engine on start up and hear that motor when I give it gas..

Uh-oh. Didn't you see all those "h's" in 1SICKLEX's signature?
Old 06-01-10, 01:15 PM
LexFather

So you never answered my question. Have you driven the G37 hybrid to know its boring or you just going to post your hate for hybrids all over?

Please post pics and vids of the hybrid G37 and a review and share with us!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Nissan Skyline 250GT (Infiniti G25) First Drive; 222 hp 2.5-liter V6