Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study finds 38 million Americans unfit to drive

Old 06-01-10, 09:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Study finds 38 million Americans unfit to drive

News Link

A new study confirms what every motorcycle enthusiast has felt every time they take to the open road; there are a lot of drivers who shouldn’t be behind the wheel.

The 2010 GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test released today found that nearly 1 in 5 licensed drivers, that’s roughly 38 million Americans, would not pass a written drivers test exam if taken today.

The sixth annual survey polled 5,202 licensed Americans from 50 states and the District of Columbia, gauging driver knowledge by administering 20 questions taken from state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) exams. Additional questions explored distracting habits such as texting while driving.

Overall, findings indicate a number of licensed Americans continue to lack knowledge of basic rules of the road; the national average score decreased to 76.2 percent from 76.6 percent in 2009. Eighty-five percent could not identify the correct action to take when approaching a steady yellow traffic light, and many remained confused by safe following distances.

And where should be bikers be worried the most?

When analyzed regionally, the results reveal that drivers in the Northeast may not be as road-rule savvy as their Midwestern counterparts. The Northeast had the lowest average test scores (74.9 percent) and had the highest failure rate (25.1 percent). The Midwest region had the highest average test scores (77.5 percent) and the lowest failure rates (11.9 percent).

Results also indicate that the older the driver, the higher the score. Males over 45 earned the highest average test score. Males also out-performed females overall in terms of average score (78.1 percent male versus 74.4 percent female) and failure rates (24 percent female versus 18.1 percent male).

Additional questions from the survey reveal drivers conduct a variety of distracting behaviors behind the wheel; approximately 1 in 4 participants admitted to driving while talking on a cell phone, eating and adjusting the radio or selecting songs on an iPod. However, only five percent reported they text while driving.

Overall, a significantly higher percentage of females than males reported engaging in the following distracting situations: conversation with passengers, selecting songs on an iPod or CD/adjusting the radio, talking on a cell phone, eating, applying make-up and reading.

"It's discouraging to see that overall average test scores are lower than last year," said Wade Bontrager, senior vice president, GMAC Insurance. "American drivers need to make safety a top priority and be aware of the rules of the road at all times. The National Drivers Test allows everyone to brush up on their driving knowledge with a brief refresher course."
Old 06-01-10, 10:31 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so true so true. Driving around this weekend validate this poll further. I would say 1 out of every 4 do not know the rule of the road.
Old 06-01-10, 10:49 AM
JessePS

wow :/ Thats scary.
Old 06-01-10, 10:57 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I guess we can thank our insurance companies and police departments for not caring about anything but money
Old 06-01-10, 11:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I guess we can thank our insurance companies and police departments for not caring about anything but money
I don't understand your comment.

How does the public's lack of driving knowledge correlate to the speculation of third party profitability and detachment?
Old 06-01-10, 11:46 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just a minute, I'm taking the test on my iPad while I'm driving...
Old 06-01-10, 12:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I was behind a woman on Sunday who sat throught a whole green light cycle, so I finally went around her as the light turned yellow. She followed me to my work to yell at me. So I told her she needs to go to driving school. And then here is this thread. Interesting.
Old 06-01-10, 12:20 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
When analyzed regionally, the results reveal that drivers in the Northeast may not be as road-rule savvy as their Midwestern counterparts. The Northeast had the lowest average test scores (74.9 percent) and had the highest failure rate (25.1 percent). The Midwest region had the highest average test scores (77.5 percent) and the lowest failure rates (11.9 percent).
Interesting. I'd long noticed from personal experience that drivers on both coasts and in Las Vegas were much worse than the ones I've experienced here in the Midwest. I thought the necessity of driving in inclement weather (esp. snow) naturally trained drivers to be more able and made drivers more cognizant of road conditions, but the data on the Northeast seems to dispute that.
Old 06-01-10, 12:23 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slegacy99
i was behind a woman on sunday who sat throught a whole green light cycle, so i finally went around her as the light turned yellow. She followed me to my work to yell at me. So i told her she needs to go to driving school. And then here is this thread. Interesting.
lol
Old 06-01-10, 12:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

not surprised
Old 06-01-10, 12:31 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This comes as zero surprise to me.
Old 06-01-10, 12:32 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
lol
It's funny because I fired right back at her saying, "how are you going to to yell at me when you sat through an entire green light? Do you know that green means go?"

It's not cool however that she used a ton of fowl language and there were lots of families in the parking lot. And why would you follow someone? For all she knew I could have had a knife. Makes me wonder if some kind of road rage training would do anything if it were mandated when getting a drivers license.
Old 06-01-10, 01:27 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Numbers are a bit low, IMO.
Old 06-01-10, 02:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree with the numbers, but bikers are asking for trouble even with good drivers. People do not look for bikes because there are usually no bikes even around. Knowing the rules is one thing but not seeing a tiny little motorcycle is something else. When are the bikers going to accept the fact that riding the bike puts them at severe risk. They risk their own lives by getting on that bike. In AZ they dont even use helmets

when we buy our cars we discuss safety, airbags, crumple zones, NHTSA rating, etc. What do the bikes have?? Nothing.........thats why you have to be crazy to ride a motorcycle imho

My mom used to tell me if she ever saw me on a bike that she would take my legs before the bike did. LOL

In terms of driver knowledge , the states should be performing written and vision tests every 3-5 years in my professional opinion. In my state when you get your license it doesnt need to be renewed until you hit 65 years of age. Being that my entire job consists of seeing geriatric patients for vision checks I am telling you right now that the vision is probably more of an issue than anything else. I frequently have patients who are floating at about half legally blind ( 20/100 acuity) and are still driving and the state does NOT mandate that I notify anyone. when the vision goes you cant see, you lose your depth perception, and even have altered color perception. I think thats what we need to be looking for
Old 06-01-10, 03:40 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

ohhhh, UNFIT as in too stupid, incompetent, or distracted

I thought unfit as too fat or just unhealthy to drive

I observe the best driving so far is on the 15N to Vegas where most people actually yield and move over to the right to let the faster moving cars pass-doesn't say much does it???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Study finds 38 million Americans unfit to drive