Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a used/out-of-warranty Hybrid?
Yeah, I would totally buy one.
10.34%
Maybe, but I'd have to see the car.
48.28%
No, that's a disaster waiting to happen
41.38%
Goats are more efficient than hybrids...
0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a used/out-of-warranty hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 03:51 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a used/out-of-warranty hybrid?

Well as some of you may know from my other thread, I'm looking for a car to buy as a gift for a young guy I know.

Well in my searches I've found some used 2005ish hybrids in my price range, but I want to know if any of you think it'd be a good idea to get an older out of warranty hybrid?

I'm seeing Honda Civic Hybrids for $~9K, and I even saw a Prius with over 100K miles on it, for under $10K. Should I bite or stay away? I'm not quite 100% sure about long term reliability and how long the batteries will hold up.

Last edited by (Cj); 05-30-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-30-10, 04:06 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get him a prius. A prius is not a "cool/hip" car to be in as a teenager, mostly based on exterior looks.

Civic hybrid is still fine because it looks just like a regular civic.
Old 05-30-10, 04:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

wait a second. I dont believe there are old enough hybrids out there (except for the 1st gen Prius) where the hybrid powertrain warranty is out yet. If your question is in regards to the normal warranty which is 4 years, then I have no problem buying a hybrid out of that kind of warranty. However, if your question is in regards to the hybrid powertrain and battery warranty, which is 8 or 10 years depending on state, then I would not buy one as the battery will cost like 2-3 thousand I think.
Old 05-30-10, 04:28 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
wait a second. I dont believe there are old enough hybrids out there (except for the 1st gen Prius) where the hybrid powertrain warranty is out yet. If your question is in regards to the normal warranty which is 4 years, then I have no problem buying a hybrid out of that kind of warranty. However, if your question is in regards to the hybrid powertrain and battery warranty, which is 8 or 10 years depending on state, then I would not buy one as the battery will cost like 2-3 thousand I think.
Ah, thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know Honda in particular had a separate warranty for the battery? I'll look that up...

I'm guessing the battery warranty is regardless of the mileage on the car and that it is transferrable?
Old 05-30-10, 04:29 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carLx
Don't get him a prius. A prius is not a "cool/hip" car to be in as a teenager, mostly based on exterior looks.

Well yeah, but at least he won't be able to do something stupid like try to race a GTR on the highway
Old 05-30-10, 04:31 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Ah, thanks for that tidbit. I didn't know Honda in particular had a separate warranty for the battery? I'll look that up...

I'm guessing the battery warranty is regardless of the mileage on the car and that it is transferrable?
I just checked and both Toyota and Honda's warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles, meaning that the Prius I was referring to in the original post would be considered out-of-warranty
Old 05-30-10, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One of our senior mods, 1SICKLEX, and his new wife, just got a used Lexus RX hybrid.

(I'm not spilling any beans here....he himself did a thread on it).
Old 05-30-10, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm seeing Honda Civic Hybrids for $~9K, and I even saw a Prius with over 100K miles on it, for under $10K. Should I bite or stay away? I'm not quite 100% sure about long term reliability and how long the batteries will hold up.
According to Consumer Reports, virtually all of Toyota/Lexus and Honda Hybrids have been quite reliable, including the Prius, though the Prius has had a few electrical glitches here and there over the years....and there are some complaints with the 3Gen's braking action, though you probably wouldn't be looking at a new Prius anyway.

As for the battery packs, they are generally under warranty for 8 to 10 years.

Here's a good website on the subject:

http://www.hybridcars.com/cars.html
Old 05-30-10, 05:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I just checked and both Toyota and Honda's warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles, meaning that the Prius I was referring to in the original post would be considered out-of-warranty
Yes the mileage restriction slipped my mind and I didnt know you were looking at at 100,000 mile+ Prius. If you really want to go that route, I dont think it will be that hard to find a 50K miled 2006 prius or something.
Old 05-30-10, 05:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of our senior mods, 1SICKLEX, and his new wife, just got a used Lexus RX hybrid.

(I'm not spilling any beans here....he himself did a thread on it).
Thanks Mike. As stated the Lexus hybrid components are covered for 7/100k. I've had no hybrid issues with the 450h.

Originally Posted by carLx

So being a ricer is cool then?

I can't speak for Honda's IMA system which is more of an "assist' than a true hybrid but from reading it seems to be reliable and not problematic. The other problems are non-hybrid related.

As for the Prius it seems to be very dependable and I think the hybrid components are rock solid as Toyota had/has a lot riding on them. There have been multiple reports too of Toyota eating a lot of the replacement bill or people simply buying used batteries for $600 or so.

How much will your friend be driving a year (sorry if I missed that)?

One other thing is look at insurance rates. Some insurance companies rates are higher for hybrids for fear an accident will equate to higher repair costs.

Old 05-30-10, 06:07 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks Mike. As stated the Lexus hybrid components are covered for 7/100k. I've had no hybrid issues with the 450h.

So being a ricer is cool then?

I can't speak for Honda's IMA system which is more of an "assist' than a true hybrid but from reading it seems to be reliable and not problematic. The other problems are non-hybrid related.

As for the Prius it seems to be very dependable and I think the hybrid components are rock solid as Toyota had/has a lot riding on them. There have been multiple reports too of Toyota eating a lot of the replacement bill or people simply buying used batteries for $600 or so.

How much will your friend be driving a year (sorry if I missed that)?

One other thing is look at insurance rates. Some insurance companies rates are higher for hybrids for fear an accident will equate to higher repair costs.
Thanks for the detailed info 1SICK.

I don't know exactly how far he'll be driving yearly. Since he'll be at a college campus, probably not much, but who knows if he ever decides to drive out on a roadtrip to Cali on a whim one day

I want him to have something reliable of course, and Honda's IMA cars depreciated really fast. They cost the same or less than regular Civics on the used market. The efficiency gains aren't huge but I'm still open to one if it'll last long with low maintenance cost...

@RXSF:

I'm not necessarily in the market for a 100K mile Prius specifically. I'm just trying to gauge other people's opinion on getting a used one. Even a model with 70-80K miles could be risky, but it looks like Toyota is doing a good job protecting customers.
Old 05-30-10, 06:35 PM
xioix
Racer

Ebay has battery for less than 1k
Old 05-30-10, 07:05 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the detailed info 1SICK.

I don't know exactly how far he'll be driving yearly. Since he'll be at a college campus, probably not much, but who knows if he ever decides to drive out on a roadtrip to Cali on a whim one day

I want him to have something reliable of course, and Honda's IMA cars depreciated really fast. They cost the same or less than regular Civics on the used market. The efficiency gains aren't huge but I'm still open to one if it'll last long with low maintenance cost...

@RXSF:

I'm not necessarily in the market for a 100K mile Prius specifically. I'm just trying to gauge other people's opinion on getting a used one. Even a model with 70-80K miles could be risky, but it looks like Toyota is doing a good job protecting customers.
NP...
Also hybrids don't like being outside in the cold much as it hurts MPG and they need to be driven. I know sometimes in college a car can stay parked for quite sometime for whatever reason(s).

Old 05-30-10, 08:30 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

personally I'd stick to the Prius.....they're rock sold reliable.....get the lowest mileage car you can afford...there's a million used Prius' around....!!
Old 05-30-10, 09:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
personally I'd stick to the Prius.....they're rock sold reliable.....get the lowest mileage car you can afford...there's a million used Prius' around....!!
Plus 1. If the price works, a lower-mileage Prius would be a safe bet. Otherwise, maybe consider a fuel efficient Civic or Corolla. Both those can achieve high mileage and you'd not have to worry about battery issues later on. As many magazines have tested, hybrids only make sense if one drives a lot.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a used/out-of-warranty hybrid?