Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GEICO Motorcycle Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 07:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GEICO Motorcycle Safety Video

To do its part in calling attention to May being the nation’s Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, GEICO is promoting a safety video featuring its pro riders Danny Eslick and Michael Barnes with reminders on how to stay a little more safe on the road. Some highlights of the video on GEICO's Powersports site include:

• Prepare your bike, your body and your brain. Check the tire pressure, clutch and brake levers before starting your ride. Be sure fluid levels are full and test the lights and horn if you’re riding on the street.
  • Dress for the crash, not the ride. Make sure you are prepared for anything by wearing gloves, eye protection and a helmet.
  • Don’t turn the key until you’ve turned off the noise. Driving distracted in any vehicle is dangerous, but when you’re up against multi-ton cars be focused and alert when riding your bike.
  • Not every crash can be avoided, but there’s a lot you can do to avoid a crash. Practice emergency breaking and focus on your balance – the smoother you ride the better. Remember to get practice riding with passengers as the riding experience is much different than riding alone.

And just a few clicks away GEICO also gives advice riding tips and motorcycle theft protection.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO
Old 05-26-10, 08:00 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as it doesn't have the Gecko in it, I'll watch it.
Old 05-26-10, 08:44 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
As long as it doesn't have the Gecko in it, I'll watch it.
Why not? Gecko will catch you when fall, always got your back .

Just watch the video, very good safety from the pro but I'm too scare as we have too many crazy drivers on the road.
Old 05-26-10, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Bikes still scare me; safety-tips or not.
Old 05-26-10, 01:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good tips, but on a bike I'm scared about the other drivers. I've already lost one close family member in 2008 to motorcycle crash (the car driver was convicted).

Somewhat as an alternative, I've enjoyed several convertible sports cars in the last 15 years.
Old 05-26-10, 10:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I used to be an MSF Instructor. We never taught two finger braking and I got my hand slapped for doing it on demos from time to time.

I think there are two things more important than anything else - be paranoid because people in cars will kill you if you give them the opportunity, and practice threshold braking daily. Nothing beats hitting the brakes to impending lock up with confidence when you need every bit of stopping power the brakes can give you. Racers need to practice locking the wheels, both front and rear, so you learn how to do this without falling off. Yes, you can lock the front wheel and not fall. No, you won't put the bike *** over tea kettle if you use the front brake too hard.

Pretty good video!
Old 05-27-10, 06:15 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I used to be an MSF Instructor. We never taught two finger braking and I got my hand slapped for doing it on demos from time to time.

I think there are two things more important than anything else - be paranoid because people in cars will kill you if you give them the opportunity, and practice threshold braking daily. Nothing beats hitting the brakes to impending lock up with confidence when you need every bit of stopping power the brakes can give you. Racers need to practice locking the wheels, both front and rear, so you learn how to do this without falling off. Yes, you can lock the front wheel and not fall. No, you won't put the bike *** over tea kettle if you use the front brake too hard.

Pretty good video!
It cracks me up to hear of people who either never use their back brake "it doesn't do much anyway" or people who are afraid to use their front brake too much "I'll flip over!"

Even a guy behind the parts counter was amazed I wore out my rear brake pads and made a comment how they shouldn't hardly be used. I think it was my 2nd or 3rd set at the time. I'm the original owner of the bike I have (see sig).