Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti M Coupe and Convertible NOT Under Consideration (Infiniti says nope!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 01:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think some here are prognosticating based on their dislike for the IS-C's looks (which I share in part). But claims need to be backed up by facts. In lieu of more detailed info, here's what I've found:

Lexus Readjusts Hybrid Sales Goal Downward; New Convertible Meeting Target
By Christie Schweinsberg
WardsAuto.com, Nov 20, 2009 2:11 PM
The HS 250h is not selling as highly as hoped, but the IS 250 C and 350 C are meeting targets as of late 2009. Moreover, as Ward's reports when the HS and other sales targets were lowered, but apparently hasn't with the IS-C, it appears that the IS-C is doing fine.

More stats may be forthcoming, but according to TMC's releases, Japan production and sales #s tell part of the story (and given how TMC production/sales are closely matched):

2009 production, IS (43,369), IS C (14,315), IS F (1,116)
2009 sales, Japan, IS (3,687), IS C (1,116), IS F (475)
2009 sales, US, IS (38,077) all models
I live in LA too and I've seen dozens of IS-Cs, downtown, on the freeways, and some in the valleys. It's anecdotal, but there are two factors here: 1) low price, comparatively, 2) amenities (trunk space, four usable seats, etc.), and 3) Lexus brand.

Back to the M, I think the case for a coupe may be bolstered by the G37 coupe's success, while a convertible may be more iffy, given the smaller market for the G37c (probably due its significantly higher cost), but perhaps at the midsize market it will be better (can get away with charging more).
Old 05-18-10, 01:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Sooooo, Annnnyways. I think this M coupe is a good idea if only for the fact that the Germans seem to have a lock on the segment. I think it's time for an Asian maker to advance the pack and I think Infiniti is more than capable.
Yup, I think the move is a no-brainer and a car sitting above the G37 coupe makes sense to me.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Oh, do you live here now? Could have sworn you were from Atlanta (nothing like NY)

You assumed I didn't drive the M56 and assume I've never been to NY and clearly got owned both times.

And you have absolutely no facts to back up the IS-C being any kind of success, none. Since I live in the most populated region in the country, and I'm on the road daily in a mix of city/highway driving, I can only use my eyes as a way to judge the most frequently seen cars on the road. The IS-C isn't even on the radar.
Look in the last few months you have came here to post only in Nissan threads. You are here beating up the IS-C for whatever reason. I have clearly stated you can have your opinion if it is a failure but we don't have facts to prove it. (and now Encore has destroyed that opinion with his fact check)

Exactly, for all we know, Lexus sells 50 units/month of the IS-C. That being said, what is the best way to judge if the car is a success if we don't have sales figures? If you actually SEE IT on the road. I see tons of Maximas, ES350s, G37 coupes, A4s, A5s, etc. The IS-C is one of the least seen luxury cars on the road.
Why are you hung up on the IS-C? Why are you hung up on not seeing a car that isn't going to sell much in the first place? This is about the M37/56 coupe!

Well, as 1SickLex has mentioned time and time again, reaching sales goals is much more important than actual total units sold. That is, after all, his basis for calling the new TL a complete FAIL. So that being the case, both the IS-C and HS250H are complete failures, because neither one are reaching sales goals.
What on earth? We are discussing the M37/56. You came in here to beat up the IS-C then make a slight about the Sportcross! Now you are making posts about "sales goals" and the TL and IS-C and now HS 250h? Then Encore posted the facts, the IS-C is selling fine!

You need to concern yourself with Infiniti which has failed for most of its 20 years as an entire brand. You are here making jabs at the minority of Lexus models that may not have done so well. Why?

Originally Posted by Och
Since you conveniently ignored the argument I brought up in my last post, let me try this again, with a little more detail. Here's some sales stats, right from this site:

May 2009: 2913 units of IS sold.
June 2009: 3465 units of IS sold. (first month IS-C went on sale)
July 2009: 4029 units of IS sold.

Clearly the IS-C boosted the overall IS sales by a good margin.

As far as you not seeing it on the road, maybe you should invest in a pair of glasses, because I live in the same city as you, and I see them fairly frequent. Not as frequent as the 3 series coupe/convertible - these are really dollar a bucket, but there's a good number of them out there, especially the past couple weekends, the weather was warm, and I saw quite a few with the top down.
We tried explaining that to him. Good luck

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Isn't there another moderator that can keep this thead on topic? LFAs? Usual infiniti bashing? This is about a possible M56 coupe.
We also know you come here to post in only NIssan threads but if you clearly looked at my posts about this, I said from a LONG TIME AGO this move ONLY makes sense and I completely support it. You again conveniently miss that to make a slight at me.

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I
Lexus doesnt split up its sales likely because it doesnt sell. I have nothing to back this up but you can tell what sells and what doesnt living in LA
What on earth? They don't split up sales b/c they don't sell? So what about Infinit who doesn't split M37/56 or FX 37/56 sales? By your logic, then they don't split them b/c they "don't sell". Lexus for whatever reason stopped splitting sales a few YEARS ago.

Why are people discussing the IS-C here? Its not even potential M37/56 competition!

Originally Posted by encore888
I think some here are prognosticating based on their dislike for the IS-C's looks (which I share in part). But claims need to be backed up by facts. In lieu of more detailed info, here's what I've found:

The HS 250h is not selling as highly as hoped, but the IS 250 C and 350 C are meeting targets as of late 2009. Moreover, as Ward's reports when the HS and other sales targets were lowered, but apparently hasn't with the IS-C, it appears that the IS-C is doing fine.

More stats may be forthcoming, but according to TMC's releases, Japan production and sales #s tell part of the story (and given how TMC production/sales are closely matched):
/ any IS-C talk and thanks for the FACTS.

Old 05-18-10, 01:35 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Why are people discussing the IS-C here?
Infiniti M Coupe rumors > "Infiniti is better than Lexus because Lexus has no Coupes" > "BUT Lexus has the IS-C and SC" > "The IS-C is stupid, ugly, and it doesn't sell" > blah blah blah > thread gone down the drain > the end.
Old 05-18-10, 01:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Guys keep this discussion focused on the potential M Coupe and Convertible please.
Old 05-18-10, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If it looks anything like the essence they released as a concept vehicle a while back I am game
Old 05-19-10, 09:55 AM
LexFather

Well I called it. Seems it is coming and something else. Hopefully it is the vehicle(s) and not a computer image release.

So it might be a coupe/hardtop convert.

Or maybe a M37/56 coupe and a GT-R based coupe?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/19/i...-pebble-beach/

For the past two years, Infiniti has been growing its presence in Pebble Beach. The week-long auto extravaganza in August plays host to a number of automaker events, but recently, Infiniti has been taking center stage. For 2010, Nissan's premium channel isn't letting up, bringing two M-based models to the party in Pebble, both of which are slated for production.

We don't have specifics on either model, but in addition to the image above, our sources within Infiniti tell us that the new coupe variants will be extensions of its current lineup, lending credence to recent rumors of an M coupe.

More interestingly, we've been told that both models will "extend Infiniti into an area we haven't been before" and that one of those models will be more "performance oriented." If that means we can expect some kind of powertrain similar to the Essence Concept that debuted at the Geneva Motor Show last year – a twin-turbo, direct injected V6 putting out over 450 horsepower – consider our interest incredibly piqued.

Both models are set to go on sale in October or November of this year, with the M35 Hybrid arriving sometime toward the end of 2011.

Old 05-19-10, 11:01 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well at least they'll have more cars than trucks now...
Old 05-19-10, 12:39 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of these silhouettes look exactly like the ones for G sedan and G coupe. The M sedan silhouette has the wavy beltline in it

M:
Old 05-19-10, 02:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'm really excited about this and hoping for a coupe...fingers crossed...

Knowing that it will be an "extension" of the M line really narrows down the possibilities- coupe, convertible, wagon (not gonna happen), 4 door coupe (probably not gonna happen, or high performance a la M5. As a big fan of the new M, I am excited to see any of those options come to fruition.
Old 05-25-10, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Posted in the other thread.......Copied here...

Originally Posted by GS69
Last week, there had been talk that a new sketch from Infiniti, which featured brush-stroked vehicle outlines, indicated that the carmaker will be launching a two-door version of its new 2011 M sedan.

However, Infiniti denied this, saying that the sketch is a preview of some models that will be introduced at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this year. In fact, an Infiniti spokesperson gave a statement that the idea of an M coupe is “so far off the charts.” The tease that came out during the official drive program for the 2011 QX sport utility, shows 2 “product extensions.” 1 has the design of a “volume-oriented” luxury vehicle while the other is a “performance-oriented” offering. A source said that the sketch previews the G sedan and coupe. Already, fans are excited about seeing a four-cylinder G model and a G37 version that could rival the Lexus’ IS F-Sport range.
So it might be the Leaf rebadge or maybe the 370Z rebadge rumored a year or so ago...I hope its not ANOTHER SUV.

Old 05-25-10, 07:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ I think they are both supposed to be extensions of the M, so probably the IPL car and then something else.