Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MythBusters: Does two cars crashing at 50 mph each = a 100 mph crash into wall?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 01:31 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys I'm hijacking this thread with math.

Upon reviewing the previous equations, I think I'm pretty set on the following explanation.

2 cars, each with mass m, heading at each other at velocity v --> the total energy of the system is:

(1/2)(m)(v)^2 + (1/2)(m)(v)^2 = m(v)^2 = total Energy

We're assuming that 100% of this kinetic energy is transferred into the mechanical energy that is at work in disfiguring these cars up (i.e. total energy transferred into "wreckage" for both of these cars, equally). In truth, that's probably not a perfect assumption, I'm sure some portion of the energy is simply lost as heat to the surroundings, but it's an OK assumption.

So the question is, what is the equivalent one car-stationary wall situation to the one described above. That is, what mass would a single car have to be going at twice the velocity in order to yield the same results?

Dear lord, I've thoroughly just confused myself now. The equations say one thing, but just intuitively, look at what it is saying. a single car of half the mass going at double the speed will yield the same results? That sounds ludicrous and probably is.

I'm sure I'm making some fundamental basic errors in assumption here, which is resulting in these kooky results/equations.

Someone who knows physics please chime in and clarify haha.
Old 05-16-10, 01:47 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The cars going at each other at the same speed has twice the kinetic energy of that one car going into the wall at the same speed. The accident should have looked twice as bad but it doesn't because in the two car collision, the energy is spread out to both cars, going in opposite directions.

Mass and velocity are not linear with each other. Halving mass while doubling velocity will not give you the same kinetic energy. You'll have more energy since the velocity is squared.
Old 05-16-10, 06:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a physics class in about 13 years. Too much math for me.
Old 05-16-10, 08:22 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

You've also got twice the crush zone to consider with two cars hitting head on.
Old 05-16-10, 08:36 AM
JessePS

You should see what they did to a car. They put most of it back together with duck tape and it held up.
Old 05-16-10, 10:20 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

what cars are those? daewoo leganza's?
Old 05-16-10, 11:06 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shyguy16
what cars are those? daewoo leganza's?
I believe so. Definitely Daewoo's though.
Old 05-16-10, 08:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I thought it was pretty sobering to see the car hitting the wall at 100 mph. No survival space at all for front seat occupants. I wonder what a 2IS would look like under the same circumstances. I'm betting not a lot better.
Old 05-17-10, 04:08 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I thought it was pretty sobering to see the car hitting the wall at 100 mph. No survival space at all for front seat occupants. I wonder what a 2IS would look like under the same circumstances. I'm betting not a lot better.
Yeah, you wouldn't survive in any car in the same crash.
Old 05-17-10, 06:48 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Newtons third theory of velocity will always hold true in this case. No matter what the speed is 1 car hitting at even 100 mph will never be the same as 2 cars hitting each other at 100 mph. The reason why is because of the transferrance of energy theory.

1 car hitting a stationary object will absorb the TOTAL energy impact of that crash b/c the object that it hits is unyielding.

2 cars hitting each other at an identical speed will not absorb the TOTAL energy impact, but they will disperse the kinetic energy amongst the 2 objects because BOTH of the object are yielding to one another, being Newtons third theory into play (equal but opposite reaction).

Basicaly,, 1 car,,stationary object,, energy has nowhere to go but back to the car itself.
2 cars hitting each other, both NON-STATIONARY objects, energy will be equally displaced between cars 1 and 2.
Old 05-17-10, 07:51 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carLx
2 cars of mass M hitting each other at 50 MPH is, indeed, not the same as 1 car of mass M hitting a stationary wall at 50 MPH. That's the simple part.

(1/2)(m)(v)^2 + (1/2)(m)(v)^2 = total energy
mv^2 = (1/2)(M)(2v)^2

where m = mass of car 1 and car 2
M = equivalent mass of a single car necessary to simulate the same collision for a one car-one wall set up

2mv^2 = 4Mv^2

M = 2m

Edit: That's totally wrong. That's yielding a result of M = (1/2)m

Interesting. I think this result is implying that 2 cars of mass m hitting each other at velocity v is equivalent to 1 car of mass (1/2)m (not 2m like I stated previously) hitting a single stationary wall at velocity 2v

Someone help out and clarify the math please.
That's right. It's what you would expect - energy is related to the square of velocity, while linear to mass.

Double the speed, you have 4x the energy involved, so you'd need 1/4 the mass of a single car, or in this incase, 1/2 of the 2 cars (1/4 x 2M = 1/2).

If you wanted to simulate the same scenario with one car crashing into a wall, it would be to have a velocity of sqrt(2) * 50 mph, or 70.7 mph.
Old 05-17-10, 08:01 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great episode and show for that matter.

trukn1, well put
Old 05-17-10, 11:07 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

How about if one car is stationary while the other is traveling 100mph? Would that be equivalent at each traveling at 50mph into each other? I know in theory the 100mph car has twice the energy of 2 cars at 50mph, but I also thought speed is relative.
Old 05-17-10, 11:22 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
How about if one car is stationary while the other is traveling 100mph? Would that be equivalent at each traveling at 50mph into each other? I know in theory the 100mph car has twice the energy of 2 cars at 50mph, but I also thought speed is relative.
I believe that one car going 100 into a parked car would result in worse damage than the two cars at 50. Though the damage definitely less than going into a solid wall because the parked car obviously absorbs a lot more energy.
Old 05-17-10, 12:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
I believe that one car going 100 into a parked car would result in worse damage than the two cars at 50. Though the damage definitely less than going into a solid wall because the parked car obviously absorbs a lot more energy.
That is what I was thinking and a better test would be the difference between two cars crashing into each other at 50mph or one car crashing into a stationary car at 100mph. I still would think the car traveling 100mph will sustain more damage just because of the velocity but it won't be near as bad as crashing into a solid steel wall at 100mph.

The steel wall is the biggest variable because it is solid, does not move, does not crumple, all force is distributed to the crashing car where the car is not a solid stationary object, will move, and will crush meaning more energy reacting on both objects leading to a different result and the effects not as devastating.

Quick Reply: MythBusters: Does two cars crashing at 50 mph each = a 100 mph crash into wall?