Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Officially Official: Volkswagen Polo GTI, 177 hp, 40 mpg and plaid seats!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 07:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Officially Official: Volkswagen Polo GTI, 177 hp, 40 mpg and plaid seats!

Officially Official: Volkswagen Polo GTI, 177 hp, 40 mpg and plaid seats!

Volkswagen has fleshed out its latest generation Polo lineup with the introduction of a new GTI variant. This latest GTI has the same output as the last hot Pol,o but now produces it on one-quarter less petrol. Each and every one of its 177 horsepower now comes from VW's twin-charged 1.4-liter TSI inline-four with direct injection, a turbocharger and a mechanical supercharger. The combined fuel efficiency goes from 29.8 miles per gallon to 39.9 mpg on the EU test cycle.

The Polo GTI gets a similar rounded five spoke wheel design to its big brother, the Golf GTI, along with the obligatory red brake calipers and trim on the grille. Note, too, that this is the first Polo to get LED eyeliner running lamps and corner markers along with bi-xenon headlamps. In proper GTI fashion, the seats are covered in a plaid fabric just like the originals of three decades ago. In fact, with the growth of the Golf over six generations, this Polo is actually almost the same size as the original Golf.

Interestingly, the Polo GTI only comes with the quick shifting seven-speed DSG gearbox and sprints to 62 miles per hour in just 6.9 seconds, and handling will be aided by VW's electronic differential lock, which is said to reduce oversteer.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-...en-polo-gti-3/

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/10/o...0-mpg-and-pla/
Old 05-10-10, 08:49 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ughh if this only came out while i was looking for a car . Is there any plans on bringing this hot hatch over to the states?
Old 05-10-10, 09:57 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this is one car i wouldnt mind buying.
Old 05-10-10, 11:44 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

The European test cycle usually results in very inflated fuel economy figures. Regardless, 0-62mph in 6.9 secs with such efficiency is pretty awesome indeed. Too bad I've heard too many horror stories of the fragile DSG.
Old 05-11-10, 11:07 AM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

haha yea so glad i didn't go for the dsg, i hear people stall while going uphill with the dsg :O
Old 05-11-10, 11:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by balutsc300
haha yea so glad i didn't go for the dsg, i hear people stall while going uphill with the dsg :O
did you post pics of your car somewhere?

really like the GTI, especially in white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-10, 12:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 40 gallons on the European scale = about 33MPG in America, if I did my calculation correctly. If that is the correct number, then it is competitive with some other 4 cylinders, but not necessarily a standout.
Old 05-11-10, 12:42 PM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I think 40 gallons on the European scale = about 33MPG in America, if I did my calculation correctly. If that is the correct number, then it is competitive with some other 4 cylinders, but not necessarily a standout.
Sounds about right, but considering the performance spec of 0-62mph in 6.9 secs, it is still quite a standout.
Old 05-11-10, 01:51 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Beautiful. I've never much turned around and looked at the older Polo's here, but the new model is an absolute stunner, even in normal guise.

The GTI version is, naturally, even more stunning. Beautiful car.

But I believe a normal TDI version would meet my needs.
Old 05-11-10, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Obviously, the GTI will have appeal to VW enthisiasts, but VW, IMO, should also consider bring over a Polo TDI. Not that the GTI's mileage is bad by any means (30-40 MPG EPA is pretty darn good), but the TDI would give you the best of both worlds....even better mileage (probably close to 60 on the highway), and lots of low-RPM torque. And the TDI, unlike larger Bluetec Mercedes/BMW diesels, doesn't require urea-solution refills.

Now, for the Corrado................We're waiting.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-11-10 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-12-10, 02:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Obviously, the GTI will have appeal to VW enthisiasts, but VW, IMO, should also consider bring over a Polo TDI. Not that the GTI's mileage is bad by any means (30-40 MPG EPA is pretty darn good), but the TDI would give you the best of both worlds....even better mileage (probably close to 60 on the highway), and lots of low-RPM torque. And the TDI, unlike larger Bluetec Mercedes/BMW diesels, doesn't require urea-solution refills.

Now, for the Corrado................We're waiting.
A small 4-cylinder common-rail diesel engine will not require additive to meet your emission requirements over there.

The problem though that I see lies in at least two things:

1) Price of diesel over there in your country
This Polo TDI would make sense in areas in your country where diesel is cheaper than or at most same price with unleaded (like in Utah)

But in areas where diesel is more expensive than unleaded (like most fuel pumps/stations in California and Nevada), this would be very difficult and will diminish the cost savings.

2) Availability of diesel fuel in stations
Of my three weeks of visiting your country (California, Nevada, Utah), I did notice that only select fuel stations carry diesel fuel. Hence, your options are limited as to where you can top-up or refuel your diesel vehicle.

Obviously, this would change if ALL fuel pumps and stations in your country will have diesel fuel.

So yeah, just my two cents on that but I do hope that VW would have the sense to make such a move (just like they did with the Jetta TDI over there).
Old 05-12-10, 04:15 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

It would be a shame if they didn't bring this over to the US.

If not, I assume the reasoning is that it will be too expensive for such a compact car which Americans still aren't comfortable with. Most still associate size with cost. That said, the Mini has been able to thrive with a relatively high price but I think it's more due to Mini's unique characteristics.