Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai loses $1.8M lawsuit because of seats that recline too far

Old 04-30-10, 11:48 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Judges who award cases like this should be examined. Clearly hyundai had NOTHING to do with this and these people are just looking for money. Does it suck she died, of course, a loss is always bad, but this could have happened in any car, by any maker.
Old 04-30-10, 12:17 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK guys, ease off the stupidity rants for a second and realize (as Joe stated) that the person we are talking about here was the PASSENGER in the car, not the driver.

It's not unreasonable for the 2nd person (driver) to get some rest if you are the one driving and might need to relieve them, and to put the seat all the way back, grab a pillow and get some shuteye. It's also not unreasonable to assume that none of us have ever given any thought to the effectiveness of the seat belt while we (or they) are prone.

I still don't believe that Hyundai should have given this person any money but this case did serve a point because we all might pay a little more attention to what the possible outcomes could be. Even though the money may not be justfied, this is a good lawsuit.
Old 04-30-10, 12:23 PM
LexFather

If it was Toyota it would be headline news.

Old 04-30-10, 12:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is absolutely retarded, and the Judge, the lawyer, and every member of the Jury that made this verdict should be ran over by Hyundai's and suffer a painful death.
Old 04-30-10, 12:49 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, it sounds like she won the lawsuit because the Seatbelt did not keep her restrained.

People are saying that she had leaned too far back. But I dont understand that as well. If she could see and drive decently in the position she was in, then I cant see how she was leaned "Too far back" It would be nice, if they explained how far back she actually reclined.

Also, there should be a warning in the manual stating that your seatbelts may fail if you are leaned back greater than X degrees, if that is the case. I for one, didnt think it was a possiblity, that I could get ejected from my vehicle while my seatbelt was on(assuming the seatbelt doesnt detach).

Last edited by tqlla3k; 04-30-10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 12:55 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Judges who award cases like this should be examined. Clearly hyundai had NOTHING to do with this and these people are just looking for money. Does it suck she died, of course, a loss is always bad, but this could have happened in any car, by any maker.
The judge didn't award anything, the jury did. You're right, though, it's the judge that should have never let this case go to trial.
Old 04-30-10, 01:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

America, land of opportunity to begin such lawsuits.

I'm joking of course.
Old 04-30-10, 01:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Apparently there are even people here who don't understand the active and passive restraint systems are designed to work ONLY if you are in the proper position - sitting upright, feet on the floor, head up, arms in (not sticking out the window).

I've thought about the uselessness of seat belts every single time I've reclined past the upright position because only a fool would think a seat belt could restrain a person lying down.

This is just another case of lawyers making money because people have stupid expectations about what technology can and can't do.
Old 04-30-10, 01:42 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Apparently there are even people here who don't understand the active and passive restraint systems are designed to work ONLY if you are in the proper position - sitting upright, feet on the floor, head up, arms in (not sticking out the window).

I've thought about the uselessness of seat belts every single time I've reclined past the upright position because only a fool would think a seat belt could restrain a person lying down.

This is just another case of lawyers making money because people have stupid expectations about what technology can and can't do.
Before this thread. Did you think that "Gee if I lean back too far, I could fly out of the back of my my car?"

Before this thread, I want to know how many people here thought that was a possibility.

The other point of contention, was she the driver or passenger? If she was the driver, how far back is too far back? If she is in a position to drive comfortably, then she should have the expectation that the seatbelt will keep her from being ejected from the vehicle.
Old 04-30-10, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm waiting for one of the idiots I see frequently with feet on the dash to lose his/her feet when the passenger's front airbag deploys and smashes their feet against the windshield. I really marvel at how people completely fail to comprehend the dangers of airbags and out of position passengers.
Yep, and a number of babies and small children had to die or be seriously injured before people finally started listening, and got it through their heads, that you can't use a rearward-facing child seat up front.
Old 04-30-10, 02:07 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Before this thread. Did you think that "Gee if I lean back too far, I could fly out of the back of my my car?"

Before this thread, I want to know how many people here thought that was a possibility.
Considering the seatbelt is attached to the b-pillar and should be adjusted to accommodate your height when seated normally, yes, I did consider it dangerous... I don't recline to that degree when moving.
Old 04-30-10, 02:10 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, I read other articles. So she was asleep in the passenger seat, fully reclined.

The listed article makes it sound like she was the driver, since it only states that she owned the car.

Personally, I think a seat/seatbelt should be designed to keep you in your seat no matter what position you are in. If that means, you cant lean back that far.... so be it.
Old 04-30-10, 02:11 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Considering the seatbelt is attached to the b-pillar and should be adjusted to accommodate your height when seated normally, yes, I did consider it dangerous... I don't recline to that degree when moving.
That is not an answer to my question. DID you consider that you would fly out of the back of your car, if you leaned back to far?

I considered lurching forward and chocking myself on the seatbelt a danger, but I always expected that the seatbelt would keep me from flying out of my seat.
Old 04-30-10, 02:23 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
That is not an answer to my question. DID you consider that you would fly out of the back of your car, if you leaned back to far?

I considered lurching forward and chocking myself on the seatbelt a danger, but I always expected that the seatbelt would keep me from flying out of my seat.
I don't have to predict the exact result of an accident to know it is a bad idea to not have proper support from my seat, which is only attained in the upright position. The same goes for the seatbelt and proper restraint. The goal is to minimize the danger.
Old 04-30-10, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
the Judge, the lawyer, and every member of the Jury that made this verdict should be ran over by Hyundai's and suffer a painful death.

Come on, Och.......let's get serious. Yes, I agree that it was a questionable (perhaps even wrong) verdict, and Hyundai probably has grounds for an appeal. But you can't go off the deep end and say something like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hyundai loses $1.8M lawsuit because of seats that recline too far