Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 06:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is this a problem? A GX that can drift? SIGN ME UP!
Old 04-13-10, 06:50 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Something probably can be done with the electronics (maybe tires?), but personally I always hated the tall and narrow feel of the GX series. It has always felt like it was going to roll over to me.
Old 04-13-10, 07:08 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait. What? That video shows a car being pushed to its very limits and it still manages to stay well planted. True, it would be terrifying to be the driver of the vehicle in such a maneuver but I just am not getting this. I can see someone having to make an emergency avoidance maneuver and that could lead to a rollover. But really, this seemed as if they were trying to force a rollover situation.

I don't like the GX any more than I do most vehicles in this class but fair is fair and this smacks of more sensationalism... all the more surprising since it's CR.
Old 04-13-10, 07:09 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Och
Laws of physics my friend. This particular SUV wasn't designed for handling, and it's not meant to be driven in the way they are testing it.
No its not and I agree, but come on now in the event of an emergency in the real world these principle situations do arise, and in the event I or anyone in this particular suv need to swerve in such a way in the event of an emergency you do not want to be in a vehicle that has been proven to fail miserably in this area especially when others in its class do considerably better. You want a safe and relatively stable as possible suv SINCE we're dealing with the laws of physics..

Excuses doesn't fix nor make the problem go away, correcting the problem does. This GX has always been a tall narrow tracked vehicle and suvs like this needs to be refined, so let toyota handle their business and make this GX a much safer and wonderful suv that folks can feel even more confident driving on the daily basis.

I do agree with speedflex that this does smacks of media sensationalism though, ehh how long has this tall narrow tracked GX been out now??

Last edited by Milla...; 04-13-10 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 07:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Wait. What? That video shows a car being pushed to its very limits and it still manages to stay well planted. True, it would be terrifying to be the driver of the vehicle in such a maneuver but I just am not getting this. I can see someone having to make an emergency avoidance maneuver and that could lead to a rollover. But really, this seemed as if they were trying to force a rollover situation.

I don't like the GX any more than I do most vehicles in this class but fair is fair and this smacks of more sensationalism... all the more surprising since it's CR.
Well the problem is how Lexus markets this SUV. In my opinion, they should just get rid of it and make a large SUV built on GS/LS chassis.
Old 04-13-10, 07:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Milla...
No its not and I agree, but come on now in the event of an emergency in the real world these principle situations do arise, and in the event I or anyone in this particular suv need to swerve in such a way in th event of an emergency you do not want to be in a vehicle that has been proven to fail miserably in this area especially when others in its class do considerably better. You want a safe and relatively stable as possible suv SINCE we're dealing with the laws of physics..

Excuses doesn't fix nor make the problem go away, correcting the problem does. This GX has always been a tall narrow tracked vehicle and suvs like this needs to be refined, so let toyota handle their business and make this GX a much safer and wonderful suv that folks can feel even more confident driving on the daily basis.

I do agree with speedflex that this does smacks of media sensationalism though, ehh how long has this GX been out now??
There's only so much you can do to a truck chassis to make it handle semi decent without compromising ride quality.
Old 04-13-10, 07:20 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by Och
There's only so much you can do to a truck chassis to make it handle semi decent without compromising ride quality.
IF, IF this is the best they can do with this GX (although I think they can do better with it) then its simple,

If I may partially quote you...

they should just get rid of it.
Old 04-13-10, 07:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the 4-Runner unaffected?
Old 04-13-10, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am surprised the stability managment system didn't intervene earlier.
Old 04-13-10, 07:49 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I would like to know what kind of moron would drive a Lexus GX "to the limit" on a racetrack? Certainly not most shoppers of this kind of vehicle.

So why is this test so important? Seems to me that Consumer Reports, as always, gets upset about minor, almost trivial issues like this for example. If I bought a GX, I could care less about how the car would handle at its limit. I'd never take the car to that level in the first place. If I wanted to drive in such a fashion, I'll buy a sports car, not an SUV.

Besides, SUVs are overweight and handle poorly by nature (with some exceptions). I'm always amazed by the people who complain about the "handling and acceleration" of a big and heavy SUV. They're clearly eying the wrong car. One word: FAIL.
Old 04-13-10, 07:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Is the 4-Runner unaffected?
For whatever reason, the article said the 4 Runner didn't show the same characteristics.
Old 04-13-10, 07:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
I would like to know what kind of moron would drive a Lexus GX "to the limit" on a racetrack? Certainly not most shoppers of this kind of vehicle.
You should see how moron soccer moms drive their GX's, Escalades, and minivans. Especially in rain/snow.

Originally Posted by DustinV
So why is this test so important? Seems to me that Consumer Reports, as always, gets upset about minor, almost trivial issues like this for example. If I bought a GX, I could care less about how the car would handle at its limit. I'd never take the car to that level in the first place. If I wanted to drive in such a fashion, I'll buy a sports car, not an SUV.

Besides, SUVs are overweight and handle poorly by nature (with some exceptions). I'm always amazed by the people who complain about the "handling and acceleration" of a big and heavy SUV. They're clearly eying the wrong car. One word: FAIL.
You're right in many ways, but Lexus is also at fault for marketing this SUV to luxury buyers seeking on-road transport.
Old 04-13-10, 07:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For whatever reason, the article said the 4 Runner didn't show the same characteristics.
It sounds like a computer glitch.

Easy remedy to the problem, but I don't think it'll be easy to reassure the public.
Old 04-13-10, 08:04 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
You should see how moron soccer moms drive their GX's, Escalades, and minivans. Especially in rain/snow.
They take the "sport" in Sport-Utility-Vehicle literally.

Originally Posted by Och
You're right in many ways, but Lexus is also at fault for marketing this SUV to luxury buyers seeking on-road transport.
I'm in Europe right now where the only SUV Lexus sells is the RX. I honestly wouldn't know how they market the GX. Lexus SUVs have never struck me as particularly sporty being instead more focused on luxury and decent off-road performance.
Old 04-13-10, 08:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

4Runner is probably sprung much stiffer.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)