Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 05:19 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man every single Toyota model has been recalled one way or the other. lol
Old 04-17-10, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The effects of those measures were phenomenal. Starting around 2000, the company's global sales began growing by up to 600,000 vehicles a year, more than the annual overall volume achieved by Volvo.
And guess what? That is right around the time that the quality of a number of Toyota products, though still better then average, started to noticeably drop.....especially with interiors and body sheet metal. By 2005-2006, it was clearly showing up in a number of their products. Ironically, it was the bottom-rung Toyota/Scion products (Yaris/Echo, Corolla, xA/xB/tC, etc.....) and the top-rung Land Cruiser that seemed to keep their build quality the longest. The middle-to-upper grade Toyota products seemed to suffer the most.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-17-10 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 09:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Paul, I don't like to use derogatory terms like "idiots", but you have to remember that CR is writing for a group of people who, in general, are not car-saavy like we are here in CAR CHAT, and can't sit down like we do and talk in detail about vehicle engineering, design, and performance. Unlike us, they generally buy the publication (or subscribe to it on-line), read it, and generally take what CR says at face value. So CR has to write up and test their vehicles in a way that is comprehensible to a wide range of people (not just car-buffs), while, at the same time, being as thorough as possible.
i agree with all that and that's what they should do. but even though they're non-profit, they still have to make revenue to keep doing what they do and i don't think they're above doing something headline grabbing even if an exaggeration to get more revenue.

i mean honestly, do you really think there's big value in saying what they have about the GX460? while not perfect (no vehicle is), it's wonderful, and i'd be thrilled to drive one. would i worry about rollovers? heck, no!

While I don't always agree with their auto-test conclusions, for example, I have a lot of respect for their auto-reliability ratings and charts. They do a better job in that area, IMO, than any other publication, including J.D. Power.
i think their ratings charts are of value, but only broadly, and shouldn't be taken as the pure truth. and prior year results isn't always a predictor of current selling models especially when comparing across entirely different versions of models, e.g., comparing an ES300 with an ES350 is meaningless.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
bitkhauna ftw
thanks boss!

Originally Posted by encore888
Just searched for "Lexus" on Google and found something which made me think...a bit tacky and questions their financial motive. They run these tests, find an issue (aha!) with no actual incidents (still, yes), then they can run ads, get subscribers off it, go on TV etc...
EXACTLY. CR wants and needs new revenue too.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota will now be testing all of their larger models more thoroughly to prevent any possible future occurrences like this.
how do you know this?

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
What a load of nonsense (the bold part). That guy has no clue what Toyota has historically been about.

No, that is NOT one of Toyota's biggest social responsibilities, and it really never has been historically. I hope this guy gets booted out of the company.

Also if Watanabe refuses to leave the company after being requested to do so by Akio, I'm sure he won't refuse if the same request is made by Shoichiro Toyoda.

This is nothing but good news in my eyes. I hope Akio continues to do what he's doing, and that these profit-focused cost-cutters wield less influence within the company.
wow, you sound like that guy committed blasphemy or something.
him saying profit is a good thing and maximizing it is a good thing - i have no problem with. but many companies end up sowing the seeds of their own destruction by focusing on profits over innovation, quality, service, etc. and i think that's definitely been the case with toyota for several years.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And guess what? That is right around the time that the quality of a number of Toyota products, though still better then average, started to noticeably drop.....especially with interiors and body sheet metal. By 2005-2006, it was clearly showing up in a number of their products. Ironically, it was the bottom-rung Toyota/Scion products (Yaris/Echo, Corolla, xA/xB/tC, etc.....) and the top-rung Land Cruiser that seemed to keep their build quality the longest. The middle-to-upper grade Toyota products seemed to suffer the most.
absolutely on the money!
Old 04-18-10, 01:02 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how do you know this?
It's been all over the news.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...s_japan_toyota

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36537736/ns/business-autos/

Toyota is making sure this problem does not occur on any other of their models, and I would assume in the future all models will be thoroughly tested for this.
Old 04-19-10, 07:11 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-19-10, 07:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
Old 04-19-10, 11:47 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Recall

Washington -- Toyota Motor Corp. this afternoon will announce a recall of its 2010 Lexus GX 460, after it suspended sales last week on the heels of a rare "Don't Buy" rating from Consumer Reports.

Last week, Toyota was able to replicate a test conducted by the influential magazine that raised rollover concerns on the luxury SUV.

The recall of about 5,000 vehicles is expected to include a software upgrade to address concerns about the electronic stability control; another 1,000 affected vehicles were sold outside the country.

The company stopped production of the vehicle in Japan through April 28 and suspended sales worldwide.

Today's recall follows Friday's call-back of nearly 600,000 1998-2010 Sienna minivans to address potential corrosion in the spare tire carrier cable in cold weather states.
Old 04-19-10, 12:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As posted in 2GX forum:

Toyota Announces Voluntary Recall on 2010 Model-Year Lexus GX 460 to Update Vehicle Stability Control Software

TORRANCE, Calif., April 19, 2010 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall on approximately 9,400 2010 Model Year Lexus GX 460 sport utility vehicles to update software in the vehicle’s Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system. No other Toyota, Lexus, or Scion vehicles are involved in this recall.

The VSC system helps control a loss of traction in turns as a result of front or rear wheel slippage during cornering.

“Toyota’s objective is to provide a high level of safety and quality, while meeting or surpassing governmental regulations. Our engineers have conducted tests to confirm the VSC performance issue raised by Consumer Reports, and we are confident this VSC software update addresses the concern,” said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America.

All Lexus dealers will have the VSC software update by the end of April. Once the software update is available at dealerships, vehicle owners are encouraged to bring their 2010 GX 460 to a dealer at their earliest convenience for the update at no cost. The update should take approximately one hour depending on the dealers’ work schedule.

“From the moment we heard about this issue, Lexus and our dealers acted quickly to resolve the situation. Our dealers will now personally reach out to customers to set up appointments to make this modification. Lexus has always been about providing exemplary customer satisfaction and this will be another opportunity to demonstrate that,” said Mark Templin, Lexus group vice president and general manager.

Starting in early May, Lexus will begin mailing letters to GX 460 owners included in this recall. Lexus will provide a courtesy vehicle to anyone who has purchased a 2010 GX 460 and has concerns about driving it until the recall work has been completed.

Detailed information about this recall is available through Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-25 LEXUS or 1-800-255-3987 or at www.lexus.com/recall.

MEDIA CONTACTS:
Toyota Motor Sales, Corporate Communications
(310) 468-5297
(310) 468-7359
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/l...ll-157109.aspx
Old 04-19-10, 12:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that puts it into perspective, "safety recall on approximately 9,400 2010 Model Year Lexus GX 460 sport utility vehicles to update software in the vehicle’s Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) system".
Old 04-19-10, 12:34 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

While I do think that CR was overdramatic in its "don't buy" rating, I do find it very surprising that Toyota/Lexus could have such a big defect in their electronics programming to allow that much slippage before intervening.
Old 04-19-10, 12:44 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

easy to fix software, dont see why it wouldn't be done
Old 04-19-10, 03:57 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious whether this is enough or whether it needs firmer suspension. Personally I wouldn't feel safe driving this SUV hard without APSSS.
Old 04-19-10, 10:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
I am curious whether this is enough or whether it needs firmer suspension. Personally I wouldn't feel safe driving this SUV hard without APSSS.
There's the problem. You don't drive an SUV like this or ANY SUV for that matter hard. There's no electronic device that is a substitute for smart and safe driving period. Common sense is key here.
Old 04-19-10, 10:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
While I do think that CR was overdramatic in its "don't buy" rating, I do find it very surprising that Toyota/Lexus could have such a big defect in their electronics programming to allow that much slippage before intervening.
There is no defect.. It's all timed calculations and parameters. The parameters are set by the engineers for all different driving conditions. I'm pretty sure they spent countless hours fine tuning the electronics to kick in when necessary. At the same time, i'm sure Lexus engineers are going to use the test method that CR tried with the GX for future reference.
Old 04-19-10, 10:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
It's not necessarily a "big defect". It could be that VSC was simply programmed more for off-road use in this case, allowing more slippage to occur.

Either way, it's an easy fix.

Originally Posted by batman75
Why wouldn't this be enough ?

Did you watch the video? All 4 wheels stayed firmly planted on the ground thanks to KDSS.

Quick Reply: GX 460 4/19 VSC recall (Consumer Reports "don't buy" label lifted 5/7)