Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which RWD coupe would you choose?
Chevrolet Camaro
11.49%
Dodge Challenger
12.64%
Ford Mustang
32.18%
Hyundai Genesis
4.60%
Mazda RX8
1.15%
Nissan 370Z
27.59%
Other
10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Which "muscle car" would you pick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 09:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which muscle/sports car would you pick?

As we all know by now, the quentissential player in the $30K-$40something segment has just received a significant overhaul for 2011 and promises to stir things up. Ford's recent moves got me to thinking about the other contenders and I really don't know which one I would choose if it was my cash. They all have their pros and cons but this is a very diverse segment with many different personalities.

So, considering all of these go-fast, bang for your buck rides...which one would you choose for $30-$40K?

Last edited by MPLexus301; 03-30-10 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 09:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually like the Challenger.

For an American muscle car, it does a good job being retro-modern. The Mustang is good but it's overplayed. The Camaro is a bit too futuristic for me, but I do like their engine choices best (especially when they shove a Corvette engine into it).

I wouldn't touch the Genesis on looks alone. Mazda's meh. 370Z: a great toy, probably the best performer, but a bit plain.
Old 03-29-10, 09:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

370Z
Old 03-29-10, 09:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Personally I am torn between them for different reasons.

I think the exterior of the Camaro is the best looking, hands down, but cannot stand the interior. The quality issues are also of serious concern to me.

The Challenger...I can admire the car for what it is, but the hefty curb weight is enough to lead me elsewhere. I'm also hesitant to touch anything from Chrysler.

The Mustang, by all accounts seems to be the fastest and best performing with the nicest interior, but at this point the exterior is looking dated IMO. I also dislike what they did to the rear end at the refresh...looks swollen or something.

The Hyundai just isn't for me, but I admire their effort.

The Mazda is getting long in the tooth and the horrific gas mileage is a major turnoff. I think this car is probably the best handling, though.

Last up is the Z which, IMO, looks like a mutant crab. I feel like the 350Z was actually a much better looking car and I really dislike the gimmicky design of the new one. The overall profile is also "off" to me. Other than the styling I really like the Z and would consider it one of the top in this class.

For me it would probably be a tie between the Mustang and 370Z, but I am not in love with either. If Chevy had a better interior on the Camaro there would be no long, drawn out analysis as above

Maybe the FT86 will solve my problems...
Old 03-29-10, 09:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Maybe the FT86 will solve my problems...
Now you're talkin'!
Old 03-29-10, 10:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The Challenger...I can admire the car for what it is, but the hefty curb weight is enough to lead me elsewhere. I'm also hesitant to touch anything from Chrysler.
I agree. I considered ordering a limited-production purple (Plum Crazy) one, out of the fond memories of the ones built 40 years ago when I was in high school, but the Challenger's low build quality turned me off. I feel I would have (probably ) wasted 35-40K for an R/T. (and the paint job would be interesting when new, but the novelty would inevitably wear off).

You are correct, BTW, that the Mustang seems to have better overall quality than the Challenger today. That was not the case up to several years ago (the Challenger, of course, didn't exist then), but the newest Mustangs have improved quite a bit.
Old 03-29-10, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Out of this poll list, BTW, I'd take the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, hands-down, especially the 3.8 Track model. Its chassis, drivetrain, and overall steering feel is (probably) the closest thing I've seen to a BMW without the blue-and-white propeller on the hood. (No, I'm not kidding)
Old 03-29-10, 10:10 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If we are really talking "muscle cars" then Camaro and Mustang are at the tops of my list. The listing of cars in the poll covers more than just muscle cars.
Old 03-29-10, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If we are really talking "muscle cars" then Camaro and Mustang are at the tops of my list. The listing of cars in the poll covers more than just muscle cars.
Agreed, if you are talking about traditional RWD American Pony/muscle-car power (that would also probably include the Charger R/T). But the 3.8 Genesis Coupe and Nissan 370Z clearly represent muscle by Hyundai and Nissan standards.

I agree, though, that the RX-8, though extremely nimble, lightly- built, and superbly responsive, is anything but a muscle car......its high-RPM but wimpy twin-rotor rotary has a serious lack of torque.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-10 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 10:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed, if you are talking about traditional RWD American Pony/muscle-car power (that would also probably include the Charger R/T). But the 3.8 Genesis Coupe and Nissan 370Z clearly represent muscle by Hyundai and Nissan standards.

I agree, though, that the RX-8, though extremely nimble, lightly- built, and superbly responsive, is anything but a muscle car......its high-RPM but wimpy twin-rotor rotary has a serious lack of torque.
I agree.
The Nissan 370Z's 13.4 1/4 mile is pretty muscular for me.
Old 03-29-10, 10:25 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. I considered ordering a limited-production purple (Plum Crazy) one, out of the fond memories of the ones built 40 years ago when I was in high school, but the Challenger's low build quality turned me off. I feel I would have (probably ) wasted 35-40K for an R/T. (and the paint job would be interesting when new, but the novelty would inevitably wear off).

You are correct, BTW, that the Mustang seems to have better overall quality than the Challenger today. That was not the case up to several years ago (the Challenger, of course, didn't exist then), but the newest Mustangs have improved quite a bit.
I wouldn't mind a '71 Cuda with a 426 hemi in plum crazy. If I was able to go secret option, I would get a supra and whatever money is left will be for mods.

Too bad Acura doesn't have a V8 so I guess I'll have to go with Genesis with Mustang as a close second. Uniqueness and build quality tops my list.
Old 03-29-10, 10:25 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked Mustang.

i love Genesis, but it's a full class below compared to mustang. it is mustang v6 competitor, but GT v8 is a friggin M3 for a bargain price!
Old 03-29-10, 10:26 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I would go with the challenger, if nothing else for personal appeal in the looks category. It is also bigger then my second choice, the 370Z.
Old 03-29-10, 11:04 AM
05EX
Pole Position

I'd pick the Mustang with the Trac pack option, the optional brembo big brake kit, Strap on the blower that Shelby is putting on there GT350 and go prowling "closed courses"
Old 03-29-10, 11:06 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Chevrolet Camaro SS.

Quick Reply: Which "muscle car" would you pick?