Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 11:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess they are going head to head with HS250h! Good for them. Too bad they didn't Lincolnized that lcd cluster a bit, this is a pure transplatation form Fusion.

But preliminary MPG numbers are what HS250h numbers should have been. As much as I love HS250h for cool technology inside the cabin I also hate it as much for its lackluster hybrid drivetrain. This thing get marginally better numbers than freakin RX450h and its not faster at all.
Old 03-31-10, 11:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by (Cj)
This was bound to happen. Toyota/Lexus put up a half @$$ed effort into the HS and made it easy for the competition to trump them.
Just by looking at the press materials, it's clear that they plan to target the HS and I would imagine that will carry into the advertising. As you note...not a hard target to beat either.

The HS looks worse and worse as time goes by. I hope they are planning a significant refresh for 2012, or better yet...drop it
Old 03-31-10, 12:02 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I guess they are going head to head with HS250h! Good for them. Too bad they didn't Lincolnized that lcd cluster a bit, this is a pure transplatation form Fusion.

But preliminary MPG numbers are what HS250h numbers should have been. As much as I love HS250h for cool technology inside the cabin I also hate it as much for its lackluster hybrid drivetrain. This thing get marginally better numbers than freakin RX450h and its not faster at all.
Yes I would have liked to see a Lincoln version of the LCD cluster. I feel the same way with a few others here. The HS250 should not have been mated to that old, lackluster powertrain.

It was clear when the HS250 came out, that Ford could so easily beat the HS with a hybrid MKZ. The question always was would Ford put out a hybrid MKZ.
Old 03-31-10, 01:45 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Just by looking at the press materials, it's clear that they plan to target the HS and I would imagine that will carry into the advertising. As you note...not a hard target to beat either.

The HS looks worse and worse as time goes by. I hope they are planning a significant refresh for 2012, or better yet...drop it
Yeah the HS needs help pronto, but it was really just bad and outdated on arrival. It's going to need a SIGNIFICANT refresh in 2012. One part of me wants them to get rid of the car, but another part of me thinks overall resell values could go down by deleting a model like that.
Old 03-31-10, 02:02 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
Yes I would have liked to see a Lincoln version of the LCD cluster. I feel the same way with a few others here. The HS250 should not have been mated to that old, lackluster powertrain.

It was clear when the HS250 came out, that Ford could so easily beat the HS with a hybrid MKZ. The question always was would Ford put out a hybrid MKZ.
LOL it'd be FUNNY if Ford only decided to bring this out because they saw how sorry the HS was. A very easy target it was for them and now they'll be able to funnel Lexus buyers into their showrooms!
Old 03-31-10, 02:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You could make the exact same argument about the Camry and the ES.
I thought of that as I was writing my post, but left it out when I compared them in more detail. The Camry and ES have different bodies, with different greenhouses, beltlines, pilars, shapes, and more. I believe the Ford triplets share more, or at least do to my eye.
Old 03-31-10, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed, I remember it from a cab ride in SF last year. And another example of badge-engineering by the Big 3.
Maybe so, but badge-engineering or not, the Fusion/Milan/MKZ triplets are not the typical Detroit junk that we saw for so many years....and still see, in some cases. These cars generally give you your money's worth.

Speaking of cabs, as you note, it not unusual to see hybrid cabs nowadays.....especially with the Prius. So I'm not surprised that they have Fusion hybrid cabs in SF.
Old 03-31-10, 06:55 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The Prius's large backseat makes it a nice cab.
Old 04-01-10, 05:52 AM
LexFather

Well some things to consider. This is a good move by Lincoln but the HS (while not pretty) is at least much more different from the Avensis than this is from the Fusion.

Also the HS offers technology even more expensive Lincoln's don't have like Mark Levinson, LEDs, Front view Cameras etc. Not to mention its recyclable plastics etc.

So while it seems to be popular to crap on the HS it does offer a lot of technology when optioned.

Old 06-05-10, 12:39 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Now w/ Apple Blossoms

When the 2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid goes on sale this fall, it will have an updated version of the SmartGauge that debuted last year on the Ford Fusion Hybrid. The basics of the SmartGauge remain the same, with a pair of 4.3-inch LCD displays flanking a central speedometer. The LCDs can display several layers of information to help coach the driver to be a more efficient motorist.

The most obvious change is the color palette for the LCD gauges. They have been changed from a predominantly blue color scheme to what Lincoln officials describes as a more upscale-looking green and gold. The leaves on the right of the display have been present since the introduction of system on the Fusion and provide a graphical representation of the driver's short-term average fuel economy. The more thrifty your driving style, the more leaves you get. Behave like a lead-foot and they dissolve.

The SmartGauge in the 2011 MKZ Hybrid will also add some new flora to the mix in the form of a long-term fuel efficiency indicator. The indicator takes the form of apple blossom flowers (the state flower of Michigan) that appear amidst your tangle of digital leafs. If your average fuel economy is sufficient (Ford won't say what number you actually need), the first flowers will begin to appear after 4-6 weeks of driving. They first appear as buds and then grow into small and finally large flowers. More flowers appear over time, but the more you get, the more time it will take to earn more. If you earn all of the flowers, then you'll have saved about $8,000 in fuel costs and 30 tons of CO2 over the life of the car.

Aside from adding a whole new element to the game of achieving high MPG that we all play when behind the wheel of a hybrid, Ford's new long-term flower indicator also may serve a second, more practical purpose. If you decide to sell your MKZ Hybrid a few years down the road, a full bouquet of flowers in the SmartGauge proves you were a slow, careful driver and may fetch you a higher price on the used car market.

Old 06-05-10, 02:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the Lincoln MKZ is one of the better looking American cars on the road. They are getting better
Old 06-05-10, 05:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

While a nice touch of technology, all i can imagine is someone staring at the display while driving to see the leaves/flowers grow and rear end someone or cause a colision. Already too many distracting things in cars today and this adds to it. Yes the info is great but make it so the driver accesses it while the car is parked.
Old 06-05-10, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That's pretty much (but not exactly) the same hybrid gauge-panel as in the Ford Fusion Hybrid, which, of course, is probably not surprising.
Old 06-05-10, 06:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I am confident that this car will sell, despite not offering anymore power than the Fusion hybrid does. Perhaps this will act as a catalyst for Lexus to bring us an ES hybrid.

But, Ford is incredibly limited in the amount of batteries they have. Production of the Fusion/Milan hybrids is already limited because of this reason. And they are attempting to add more hybrids, PHEV, and EVs within the next 5 years. I have heard of GM developing batteries and electric motors in house to cut costs....and they are the only ones whom I have heard to do this.
Old 06-05-10, 06:20 PM
LexFather

It's amazing "Lincoln" has a very credible hybrid here joining Lexus. The MKZ starts around 35k with the V-6. They should be proud they beat most everyone else to the market.

Also with the Mercury Milan being dropped maybe the MKZ gets a standard 4 cylinder as well.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)