Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese Price Wars: Honda counters Toyota with largest lease deals ever

Old 03-26-10, 06:29 PM
LexFather

Post Japanese Price Wars: Honda counters Toyota with largest lease deals ever

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/j...gest-lease-de/

Toyota commands about a 15.5-percent share of the U.S. market so far this year. That's the same share it had a year ago, before its recall marathon began. Analysts studying the market have suggested that Japanes automaker's brand perception hasn't taken that big of a hit with the wider public, but Toyota has also dipped heavily into incentives and price dropping in order to keep moving its metal. Those are two corners of the retail world you don't usually find Toyota, and the move has apparently dragged Honda with it.

Honda is the brand most cross-shopped against Toyota, so what its rival does to draw traffic must be closely watched and, in this case, matched. The Feature Special Lease deal Honda has just introduced is good for nearly every model, eliminates the down payment, security deposit and first month's payment, and waives all lease fees. The program runs until May 3. On top of that Honda has 0.9-, 1.9-, and 2.9-percent APR financing deals. Between them, they cover Honda's entire model line.

Honda's lease program runs until May 3, a month longer than Toyota's. Now that Toyota knows it's going to be a long battle to hold its position, we'll be interested to see how what kind of fortitude and endurance the company has. Honda probably will be as well...

[Source: L.A. Times via The Car Connection | Image: Scott Olson/Getty ]

Old 03-26-10, 06:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yup, honda 0/0/0/0 commercial is everywhere around here now.

what a great time to get cars
Old 03-26-10, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Yeah great time for consumers.

Old 03-27-10, 10:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Feature Special Lease deal Honda has just introduced is good for nearly every model, eliminates the down payment, security deposit and first month's payment, and waives all lease fees. The program runs until May 3. On top of that Honda has 0.9-, 1.9-, and 2.9-percent APR financing deals. Between them, they cover Honda's entire model line.
There you go, Mike. Go get yourself a new TL. You should get a pretty good trade-in for that GS hybrid.
Old 03-27-10, 11:34 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe competition is always a win-win hehe

Old 03-27-10, 11:57 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend is a Honda Salesman, I was chatting with him, and ask: " since Toyota has recalls and everyone is scared of driving Toyota, does it make Honda has more business? "
Surprisingly he replied, " no, even worse sales, since now everyone thinks they can bargain on the price of Toyota with the dealers since there are recalls, and Toyota is offering 0% interest on most models!"
Old 03-27-10, 12:57 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksc400
My friend is a Honda Salesman, I was chatting with him, and ask: " since Toyota has recalls and everyone is scared of driving Toyota, does it make Honda has more business? "
Surprisingly he replied, " no, even worse sales, since now everyone thinks they can bargain on the price of Toyota with the dealers since there are recalls, and Toyota is offering 0% interest on most models!"
Good! Toyota FTW!
Old 03-27-10, 01:11 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently leased a 2010 Honda Accord and the incentives were good at that time too, but probably not as good now. Proves you can never wait long enough, always a better deal out there. By the way I went through Autonation Direct and their pricing was significantly better than their own local dealers.

I was shopping for a Toyota at the time too, but that was when they stopped production and although I still believe in Toyota, definitely at that time it left doubts in my mind to lease a Toyota and wait for a fix.

On another note, Toyota is still king, but in this 4 door sedan segment, the Camry is still not very appealing. The other choices of the Avalon & Corolla are even worse.
Old 03-27-10, 10:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Even at 0% interest (which is essentially a free loan), my philosophy is that, if possible, it's better to pay cash up front and have a clear title once and for all than to be in debt each month to the bank, dealership, or finance company. Most people have enough bills each month to take care of, even without a car payment. Once you hold the title, no one can legally take or impound your car if you lose your job or income and can't keep the payments up (providing, of course, the police don't impound it for a crime).

A little off-topic, maybe, but an important point that I think needs to be made.
Old 03-28-10, 01:01 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lex
Good! Toyota FTW!
Toyota's cars - especially the sedans - are squishy, overpriced, boring, ugly, milquetoast-mobiles sold by unscrupulous, used-car-sales-mentality dealers. I will never purchase a Toyota for any reason at any price.

That said, I still have respect for Lexus.
Old 03-28-10, 01:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There you go, Mike. Go get yourself a new TL. You should get a pretty good trade-in for that GS hybrid.
I would rather get beat to death by Robo-Cop and have it posted on youtube than own that thing.

Originally Posted by videcormeum
Toyota's cars - especially the sedans - are squishy, overpriced, boring, ugly, milquetoast-mobiles sold by unscrupulous, used-car-sales-mentality dealers. I will never purchase a Toyota for any reason at any price.

That said, I still have respect for Lexus.
So basically they are like Hondas just Toyota's have more power and technology.

Old 03-28-10, 01:17 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So basically they are like Hondas just Toyota's have more power and technology.
The compare doesn't displace fact. By "technology" do you mean the malfunctioning (death trap) electronic throttle?
Old 03-28-10, 02:03 PM
LexFather

The compare doesn't displace fact. By "technology" do you mean the malfunctioning (death trap) electronic throttle?
Do you mean exploding tranny's, faulty brake recalls, a switch that can start fires recall,odometers that report faster than normal, the roar of vtach, 5 speed autos, horrible gas mileage. Or do you mean laughable hybrids with no full hybrid technology, no V-8s, no real trucks, but you get nice red badges?

Or did you miss what Honda themselves said?

Originally Posted by ;5200286
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Honda-....html?x=0&.v=1

Blessing or a curse?

Honda may also benefit from the global recall of millions of vehicles by larger rival Toyota Motor Corp., particularly in the key U.S. market, although Kondo -- and analysts -- said the opposite could also happen.

"There's a chance that the image of all Japanese cars will worsen in North America and elsewhere," said Mitsushige Akino, chief fund manager at Akiyoshi Investment Management. "We just don't know. There are things we still can't predict."

Honda had to initiate a recall of its own last week, saying it would recall some 646,000 of its Fit/Jazz and City models globally due to a faulty window switch after a child died when fire broke out in a car last year.

"Toyota is the front-runner representing Japanese cars," Honda's Kondo said. "In that sense, we're somewhat worried that there may be a knock-on effect on other Japanese brands, but we'll need a little more time to gauge any impact."
Thus no one cares about Honda recalls b/c Honda doesn't mean much.

Old 03-28-10, 04:10 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A classic Hondatech's comment... very classy.

Back on topic, as we all know that Toyota will fight back one way or another. I'm thinking about trade my IS in for the Prius because the wife likes it so much.
Old 03-28-10, 08:05 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

given the pricing war between honda and toyota, blacksc400 makes a valid point. people are trying to counteract the recall of toyota with as much of a price knock as possible. i joined my toyota salesman friend for lunch a few weeks back and he clearly indicated that potential buyers, if not getting a deeper discount with honda because of toyota's recall, will more than likely purchase a toyota vehicle despite the news surrounding it.

personally, 0% for 60 months is a fantastic deal, no matter what brand you buy. i really wish there was a sort of retroactive plan for those toyota vehicles purchased within the last year affected by the recall. we got a great deal on my sister's corolla s, and thats with the cash for clunkers program.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Japanese Price Wars: Honda counters Toyota with largest lease deals ever