Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Japanese Price Wars: Honda counters Toyota with largest lease deals ever

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 05:14 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Do you mean exploding tranny's, faulty brake recalls, a switch that can start fires recall,odometers that report faster than normal, the roar of vtach, 5 speed autos, horrible gas mileage. Or do you mean laughable hybrids with no full hybrid technology, no V-8s, no real trucks, but you get nice red badges?

Or did you miss what Honda themselves said?

Thus no one cares about Honda recalls b/c Honda doesn't mean much.
I remember it's big new with the Acura TL transmission a few years back. Are you sure Honda recall mean nothing b/c Honda doesn't mean much? Last I check Honda is one of Toyota strong competitor so I would not say Honday recall does not mean much.
Old 03-29-10, 12:59 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
given the pricing war between honda and toyota, blacksc400 makes a valid point. people are trying to counteract the recall of toyota with as much of a price knock as possible. i joined my toyota salesman friend for lunch a few weeks back and he clearly indicated that potential buyers, if not getting a deeper discount with honda because of toyota's recall, will more than likely purchase a toyota vehicle despite the news surrounding it.

personally, 0% for 60 months is a fantastic deal, no matter what brand you buy. i really wish there was a sort of retroactive plan for those toyota vehicles purchased within the last year affected by the recall. we got a great deal on my sister's corolla s, and thats with the cash for clunkers program.
I agree with you that the current financing deals out there are great, no matter what brand you buy. I also believe that Toyota Owners overall will remain loyal and Toyota has a better model line up than Honda (going head to head - except for the Accord vs. Camry in IMHO),

I also believe that resale value is still important. Toyota eventually will get back to normal after this crisis (they are taking a beating now in terms of resale value), but when a consumer that is not particularly loyal to Honda or Toyota & is buying a vehicle and has to choose between the two, I believe they will be swayed towards a Honda at this moment. This is due to the fact that the recall fixes are not 100% certain yet and the resale value factor.
Old 03-29-10, 01:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still very much a buyers market when it comes to mainstream cars. I'm looking forward to seeing the March sales numbers.
Old 03-31-10, 04:26 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VVT-i
A classic Hondatech's comment... very classy.

Back on topic, as we all know that Toyota will fight back one way or another. I'm thinking about trade my IS in for the Prius because the wife likes it so much.
Hahaha - rollseyes at you too.

I'm not in love with Honda, but being blind to a company's faults, perhaps at the risk of one's own personal safety, doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

Toyota is fair game - they are paying the price for putting share above integrity. I'd say the same for Honda if my car accelerated out of control.

Last edited by videcormeum; 03-31-10 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 04:32 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Do you mean exploding tranny's, faulty brake recalls, a switch that can start fires recall,odometers that report faster than normal, the roar of vtach, 5 speed autos, horrible gas mileage. Or do you mean laughable hybrids with no full hybrid technology, no V-8s, no real trucks, but you get nice red badges?
For the record, my car has no red badges - but I am looking for the largest aftermarket spoiler my trunk lid can accommodate. I'm talking epic.

That way I can live up to this board's well-grounded expectations of a Honda owner.
Old 04-01-10, 05:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by videcormeum
For the record, my car has no red badges - but I am looking for the largest aftermarket spoiler my trunk lid can accommodate. I'm talking epic.

That way I can live up to this board's well-grounded expectations of a Honda owner.
This forum? Its WAY bigger than that

Double standard much? You come in this thread to bring up the "recall" but have no answers for the Honda recalls I mentioned?

Old 04-01-10, 02:18 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

This forum? Its WAY bigger than that

Double standard much? You come in this thread to bring up the "recall" but have no answers for the Honda recalls I mentioned?
In court, an acceptable defense is never, yes I committed this crime, BUT, in my opinion other people have done worse, therefore I am innocent.

We can address Honda's quality, boringness, crappy interiors, everything-looks-like-a-butt-front-end styling if you like. But it's really a different discussion.

I'm guilty of railroading this discussion - so I won't post in this thread anymore.

I don't know if it's God, but somebody definitely hates Acura. It's a shame. I'd prefer more choices in the near-lux space rather than fewer. The one thing Acura had going for it was that it offered near-lux at a price way below the other brands. Sure you give up RWD, V6 (for some reason treated as the holy grail here), but handling and dynamics were good by FWD standards. Now you can't touch anything worth driving (that also doesn't look like a butt crack) under $35k. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by videcormeum; 04-01-10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-01-10, 03:53 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember all the doom and gloom about the leasing business a couple years ago.