Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 BMW 3 Series renderings and spyshots (Hybrid coming)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 12:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel sorry for somebody that comes to this thread to find out about the 3 series (and find some rendered pics) and then has to sift through all this unrelated junk.

I'll be more interested in seeing some spyshots with less camo.
Old 03-24-10, 12:42 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^ the E46 IMO is one of the, if not the best looking 3 series.
+1 They have just gotten uglier and uglier since. I can deal with the E90, but not the coupe.

That rear bumper in the picture is ugly IMO. The round exhaust tips and those cutouts mix very well or something.
Old 03-24-10, 12:45 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lower dam reminds me of the Genesis coupe (which I think is a styling fail).

Even though this is just a rendering, I really just don't like the design direction of the new BMWs. They're all based on the CS design concept.
Old 03-24-10, 12:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hitting a brick wall with your head is far less damaging to your health in comparison to trying to argue with certain member(s) here.
Old 03-24-10, 12:55 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
The lower dam reminds me of the Genesis coupe (which I think is a styling fail).

Even though this is just a rendering, I really just don't like the design direction of the new BMWs. They're all based on the CS design concept.
Wow now we've got pics of a Hyundai. This thread is getting waaaaaayyyyyyy offfffffff
Old 03-24-10, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
So to tell you...but it does make the interior better. Lexus underestimated the iDrive controller and are now playing catch up to Audi, BMW, Merc and even Hyundai...
playing catchup? like how? idrive is hard to use, period. everyone i talks to, at the most they say they are good after getting used to. i have yet to see people who have to get used to using lexus system. the new lexus system is very different from idrive, if you can't even distinguish that then you got real issues. i get used to new lexus system in no time, and every time i use the idrive in my car i still curse

back to this RENDERING, there are definitely stuff i hope bmw will improve / change in the final version. the car won't be out until end of next year, possibly by then the next IS rendering or sketches will be out already. i do agree it's very close to time for the 3is redesign.
Old 03-24-10, 01:34 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

I think the IS has a great interior that has lasted quite well, exterior though, I too would like to see a redesign.

This is a rendering, a bad one at that.
I do hope though that the 3 Series GT does not take too many cues from the 5 Series GT, as the A5 Sportback needs some competition as the best designed luxury hatch.
Old 03-24-10, 02:33 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

No it doesn't need one badly and if anything the IS has the best styling in class with the C-class and its a selling point. Most agree the IS is a fantastic looking car.

Never sad IS is a bad looking car. but IS does look outdated compared to these german cars. understandable because it's been out there for a while now.

my favorite cars are E36 and E39. they were fantastic looking cars. but they are outdated as well.
Old 03-24-10, 02:45 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

by just looking at these pictures

1. 3 looks definitely looks most updated. like 2012?
2. IS looks like it was designed 5 years ago. (well it was designed 5 years ago)
3. audi looks very current.

again, i'm not saying IS is ugly or anything. i think it's little too bland for my taste, but i can't really find a fault with it save it for the awful convertible. it's a conservatively designed car. handsome in many angles. definitely a Lexus design.

but it's clear to me that IS is definitely last gen compared to new 3. you can't ignore the design trend. IS needs more. many say less is more, but not in this case especially going up against the perennial winner.
Old 03-24-10, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Joe please consolidate your posts and thoughts in one post instead of spamming threads with back to back posts.

Post 47 asked everyone to get back on track about the 3 series. Your 2 posts are mainly about the IS.

I am not going to even pay your IS comments any mind as they are mind numbing.

Old 03-24-10, 03:14 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Some serious issues there... I wish BMW didn't have to ruin their classy styling... I guess it's too late to ask for it back

2001 740I

2003 540I

2005 330CI

I too love these classy design of the past, but the new rendering looks superb IMO. I love the new bmw nostrils. and love the new tails.

i added a new rendering with the pictures you just posted. looks like a they are at least 2 decades apart.

i'm lovin the bmw's recent design direction.
Old 03-24-10, 03:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by joe80
so i post 2 comments(one reply to your post) and now i'm a spammer?
"Multi-Quote feature"

The button to the right of the "Quote" button is the "multi-quote" button. When you press who you want to quote it goes red and you can quote as many people as you want, even going to different pages.

Even before we had that feature what most all members did was cut and paste multiple quotes and put in one post. Otherwise it is jacking the post count up.

See below:

Never sad IS is a bad looking car. but IS does look outdated compared to these german cars. understandable because it's been out there for a while now.

my favorite cars are E36 and E39. they were fantastic looking cars. but they are outdated as well.

I can respond here.

by just looking at these pictures

1. 3 looks definitely looks most updated. like 2012?
2. IS looks like it was designed 5 years ago. (well it was designed 5 years ago)
3. audi looks very current.

again, i'm not saying IS is ugly or anything. i think it's little too bland for my taste, but i can't really find a fault with it save it for the awful convertible. it's a conservatively designed car. handsome in many angles. definitely a Lexus design.

but it's clear to me that IS is definitely last gen compared to new 3. you can't ignore the design trend. IS needs more. many say less is more, but not in this case especially going up against the perennial winner.

So I can respond two different comments in one post.

This is for ANY MEMBERS to see. The multi-quote feature is a good feature to use.

Old 03-24-10, 04:09 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

The front looks pretty good.

The rear is an improvement but those circular exhaust tips look funky in those spaces.
Old 03-24-10, 04:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
"Multi-Quote feature"

The button to the right of the "Quote" button is the "multi-quote" button. When you press who you want to quote it goes red and you can quote as many people as you want, even going to different pages.

Even before we had that feature what most all members did was cut and paste multiple quotes and put in one post. Otherwise it is jacking the post count up.

See below:

I can respond here.

So I can respond two different comments in one post.

This is for ANY MEMBERS to see. The multi-quote feature is a good feature to use.

dude! i didn't even know that! after all these years. damn.
Old 03-24-10, 06:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I am impressed that you compared the IS with Acura and Infiniti....that is where it really competes well with...it loses appeal when next to the A4 or 3 series
I disagree with you here. I parked my IS and 3 series next to each other in the garage. IS can hold its own. In fact, I think IS looks better.

Quick Reply: 2012 BMW 3 Series renderings and spyshots (Hybrid coming)