Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry places first in MT comparo (grabs popcorn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 10:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the poll basically means that there aren't many Camry fans voting for Camry, and many people think Fusion and sonata is better than camry. 200k votes is alot, so you can't completely ignore it. also maybe it just means camry buyers don't read M/T. my mom doesn't even know what M/T is. she had 2 Camrys.

obviously Motor trend is full of domestic homers(from their board), that's why malibu has 18% of votes. sonata is leading the vote because from an enthusiast point of view, it really does have superiors specs,and favorable design.

these votes don't translate to sales numbers, but it's a good indication of what people think of each cars. Toyota has taken some heavy blows by media which created more anti-toyota folks everywhere on the web. will it hurt the sales? i think so, but not by much. but fusion selling 16k last months(116% increase) is a clear indication that Camry's throne is being threatened by new players.
Old 03-25-10, 11:00 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by joe80
the poll basically means that there aren't many Camry fans voting for Camry, and many people think Fusion and sonata is better than camry. 200k votes is alot, so you can't completely ignore it. also maybe it just means camry buyers don't read M/T. my mom doesn't even know what M/T is. she had 2 Camrys.

obviously Motor trend is full of domestic homers(from their board), that's why malibu has 18% of votes. sonata is leading the vote because from an enthusiast point of view, it really does have superiors specs,and favorable design.

these votes don't translate to sales numbers, but it's a good indication of what people think of each cars. Toyota has taken some heavy blows by media which created more anti-toyota folks everywhere on the web. will it hurt the sales? i think so, but not by much. but fusion selling 16k last months(116% increase) is a clear indication that Camry's throne is being threatened by new players.
How many of those new Fusion sales were to fleets? 40% of Fords in February was fleet sales

Ford sales to retail customers were 28 percent higher versus a year ago, and sales to fleet customers were up 74 percent.

Last edited by xioix; 03-25-10 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 11:05 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
About Sonata:

so much for those official ratings... wasnt Sonata supposed to be as quiet as Lexus or something?
Hyundai sucks.
Old 03-25-10, 11:47 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Hyundai sucks.
and don't forget Kia

I actually would like to forget both of them.
Old 03-26-10, 09:05 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xioix
How many of those new Fusion sales were to fleets? 40% of Fords in February was fleet sales

Ford sales to retail customers were 28 percent higher versus a year ago, and sales to fleet customers were up 74 percent.

Fusion doesn't even have a Coupe, so i think 16k is still very impressive. Camry was #1 best seller because of fleet sales many years(5-6 years ago?). I think retails sales on Camry and Accord were neck to neck for many years, but accord's fleet sales were like 10% and Camry was like 30%.
Old 03-26-10, 09:09 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

spwolf

When did hyundai ever say Sonata being Lexus quiet? stop making things up guys. on Sonata's press conference Sonata Limited was 2nd quietest. Camry was #1. and M/T tested was SE, which is noticeably more vocal from exhaust and tire noise.
Old 03-26-10, 11:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by xioix

That is a great point, totally forgot about that. Hyundai has increased fleet sales as well.

Old 03-26-10, 01:40 PM
xioix
Racer

Fusion doesn't even have a Coupe, so i think 16k is still very impressive. Camry was #1 best seller because of fleet sales many years(5-6 years ago?). I think retails sales on Camry and Accord were neck to neck for many years, but accord's fleet sales were like 10% and Camry was like 30%.
Uhh Toyota doesn't do fleets sales that high nor does Honda, Honda's fleet for the Accord is around 2-3%, and the Camry is around 10-15%
Old 03-26-10, 01:51 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The Big 3 have always been heavy on fleet sales, and their mediocre profit history reflects that (and many other issues too). Fleet sales to rental car companies are on an upswing now after a long recession.

Last edited by IS-SV; 03-26-10 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 01:58 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i know it's not 30% lately, but i swore i saw 30% figure years back. maybe it was just monthly not yearly. but can't seem to find the source. but all i know is that camry's fleet sales are alot more than accord's. so basically retail sales between camry and accord has been always similar.

and bloomberg is making my point.(on Ford)
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/b...yota/#comments

There's no compelling reason to choose a Camry or Accord over a Fusion, and the Fusion Hybrid just might be the best gas/electric vehicle on the market.

just few years ago, comparing Japanese to domestics was borderline blasphemy. even today, there are many people in this board who will refuse to buy domestics. Honda and Toyota were clearly superior.

I had 1999 Ford Focus. it was a garbage after 100k. i swore that i would never buy another Ford. but i can see myself in Ford. that's saying alot because i never really liked domestics. i always was an acura and bmw fan boy.

anyway, only thing that is holding Ford back is Mercury and Lincoln. they are still clueless on how to do the luxury. Mercury is pointless as well.

Last edited by joe80; 03-26-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i know it's not 30% lately, but i swore i saw 30% figure years back. maybe it was just monthly not yearly. but can't seem to find the source. but all i know is that camry's fleet sales are alot more than accord's. so basically retail sales between camry and accord has been always similar.

and bloomberg is making my point.(on Ford)
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/b...yota/#comments

There's no compelling reason to choose a Camry or Accord over a Fusion, and the Fusion Hybrid just might be the best gas/electric vehicle on the market.

just few years ago, comparing Japanese to domestics was borderline blasphemy. even today, there are many people in this board who will refuse to buy domestics. Honda and Toyota were clearly superior.

I had 1999 Ford Focus. it was a garbage after 100k. i swore that i would never buy another Ford. but i can see myself in Ford. that's saying alot because i never really liked domestics. i always was an acura and bmw fan boy.

anyway, only thing that is holding Ford back is Mercury and Lincoln. they are still clueless on how to do the luxury. Mercury is pointless as well.
And didnt American media think that Ford Focus and Ford Taurus were the bestest cars ever? Together with Countour....

This pumping of local brands is not from yesterday. I lived in the states from 96 to 2002, and Taurus, Focus and Countour had similar support to what new Ford products have today.
Old 03-27-10, 08:23 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

No.

Camry and Accord was always 1 and 2 for major part of 90's and early 00's.
Fusion really is a great midsize sedan. the hype is justified. it's unfair to compare this Fusion to the best Ford products because past products at best was vastly inferior to camry and accord. but fusion? honestly, i mean honestly, it felt like a class above especially when you compare it to Camry. only thing it lacks is the interior refinement and quality. i would say on par with Camry. but as far as ride goes Fusion kicks Camry's butt. Accord is still a good all arounder, but it's noisy as hell, and i would take away many points on styling.

and Focus was the best until Ford stopped caring about it and never made any improvements on it here in the U.S. Focus in UK is considered one of the best inexpensive people's car ever made.

Last edited by joe80; 03-27-10 at 08:27 AM.