Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver: Audi A5 2.0T Quattro vs BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37 vs Lexus IC350C

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 09:54 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like this better than A5's interior. half the price 8 years ago.
Old 03-13-10, 10:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't really have much experience in Audis, but a a friend of mine got a 2000 A6 and its interior is a joke.
Old 03-13-10, 10:24 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I don't really have much experience in Audis, but a a friend of mine got a 2000 A6 and its interior is a joke.
Huh?

Old 03-13-10, 10:41 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

at that time, this interior was basically was the top dawg. no competitor came close to A6's interior. it was a master piece.
Old 03-13-10, 10:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Except its all rattling like a tin can and falling apart.
Old 03-13-10, 10:55 AM
LexFather

All those Audi interiors look the same...which still continues...nice and classy, no doubt and a great place to be.

FYI the GS was lauded for having a great interior and being different to what others offered. The Optitron gauges were ahead of their time for instance and the sweeping wood was different as well.

Old 03-13-10, 11:23 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

GS's interior is too bulky and it didn't have Audi's elegance. but wood quality was 1st rate.

Last edited by joe80; 03-13-10 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-13-10, 11:24 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Except its all rattling like a tin can and falling apart.
maybe it's just his A6. my buddy had 1995 A6, and it's still rock solid. last time i sat on early 2000 A6 was 2001 A6 back in 2007 or so. had 80k on it. it was rock solid.
Old 03-13-10, 11:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Whatever, the old Audis are pretty irrelevant, its 2010. Back on topic, I think its pathetic that C&D would rate 3 series fit and finish higher than IS, when clearly its not so... not even near. Just discredits the whole article for me.
Old 03-13-10, 07:56 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well lets see, here's some pictures. Maybe someone with an IS can take pictures of the same details in their car for comparison?

Lets start with the seats, look at the upholstery quality. See these wrinkles in the leather? They are all over the seats, the leather just doesn't wrap the seat tight - poor fit and finish. You'll never see crap like this in a Lexus, not even a Toyota.

Also note the grain - its industrial quality. Mind you, this isn't leatherette, this is leather.

Here's more. This is where the leather on the headrests is cut out around the headrest supports. Note that the cutout isn't even folded and stitched around, its just a hole cut through the leather. That's just pathetic.

How about some 90ies fugly orange gauges? This shot doesn't give them justice, I'll take a night shot later.

How about some exposed seat rails. This is what you get greeted by when you open the door. All the bolts and mechanism and even grease in the door rails is exposed, and they stick out front way beyond the seat exposing all that beauty. What great attention to detail!

How about the stitching on the leather wrapped steering wheel? I don't know if you can see it from here, but this stitching is very uncomfortable, and my wife keeps complaining that it scratches her hands. She's considering getting a steering wheel cover.

How about the floor mats? The drivers side floor mat is held with Velcro, and the rest of the floor mats aren't held by anything. This is just pathetic compared to clips provided in all Lexus vehicles, for all four mats.

How about a motorized steering wheel? Nope, you get econocrapbucket style manual lever.

What about seat controls? These switches, on both driver and passenger seats are pathetically flimsy and feel like they are about to fall apart every time you use them. To make it worse, in order to make certain adjustments work, you need to apply considerable force to the switch. We just try to avoid using them all-together, and stick with memory settings.

Here's the center console armrest latch. I can't even begin to describe how flimsy it is. Opening and closing that armrest feels like it came straight out of a 90ies GM.

How about these awesome cup holders? If you have a cup of hot coffee in them, and try to make a quick maneuver, the coffee is guaranteed to get landed in yours or your passengers lap. Not only these cup holders very poor, but they are also located in a very inconvenient location, - for instance, if I need to make a quick maneuver in my Lexus, I just just put my hands on the coffee cup and make my maneuver, in the BMW the cup holders are way too far to do that.

And these are just some of the things. There are several other things - for instance the audio system is the worst out of any modern car, even the cheapest of the econocrapboxes. The doors are very heavy and poorly balanced/hinged, so you need to slam them real hard to close. And you don't even get a warning light on the dash if the door isn't fully closed. My passengers always have to double-tripple slam the door, because they never get it closed on the first try.

As far as interior space, I'm 6'-4" and ain't nobody is fitting behind me. And sitting in the front, after two hours of driving, I get tired and uncomfortable. Getting into Lexus right after the BMW is like getting into heaven.
For the "wrinkles" in the seats (I see them as wavy). Maybe its just like that with non-sport seats? My seats don't have those and I have terra dakota leather in mine. I actually like the leather because its durable and doesn't wear fast. Mercedes leather is similar too. They have a grainy type of feel to them but it does get less as you move up models I've noticed.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned isn't stuff that I would even care to notice. I mean, the cut out on the headrests? How would you even notice unless you were looking straight under it? Orange gauges are BMW's trademark look. Its not going to change. I'm not as tall as you, but have never noticed the rails but even if i did, doesnt bug me. Its there to serve a purpose....why does it need to be covered? Most European cars arent meant to have cupholders. I dont think they even exist in europe so the original car designs dont integrate them in. Its obvious BMW just put it there for the american market. I know they suck and I never put tall drinks in there but its not an issue. The parts you say are flimsy dont feel flimsy to me. I car in general feels very solid and I love it. You have to remember that this is still an entry level luxury car. You can't expect it to be perfect. Lexus isnt perfect either. And the automatic telescoping steering wheel; I guess you can say thats the advantage of japanese cars over euro cars. Many things come standard in japanese cars and are options in european cars. Thats where value comes in?

I guess all your gripes are things that you are just nitpicking about. Why did you get a BMW to begin with if you have all these issues with it? Different cars for different people i guess. You should just sell it since you hate it so much. I own a mercedes, BMW and infiniti. And used to own an SC430. My SC had nice leather to begin with but got worn pretty fast with wrinkles on the parts of the seat closest to the door. Oh and the rattles

Last edited by Hypnotik; 03-13-10 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 08:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
I guess all your gripes are things that you are just nitpicking about. Why did you get a BMW to begin with if you have all these issues with it? Different cars for different people i guess. You should just sell it since you hate it so much. I own a mercedes, BMW and infiniti. And used to own an SC430. My SC had nice leather to begin with but got worn pretty fast with wrinkles on the parts of the seat closest to the door. Oh and the rattles
When did I ever say I hate it? Its a very good looking car and the twin turbo engine is just insane.

But Lexus is much better at comfort, fit and finish. I'm just pointing out that the OP's article rated BMW's fit and finish higher than IS - which is just absurd. Fit and finish on the IS is head and shoulders above the 3 series.
Old 03-13-10, 10:03 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
When did I ever say I hate it? Its a very good looking car and the twin turbo engine is just insane.

But Lexus is much better at comfort, fit and finish. I'm just pointing out that the OP's article rated BMW's fit and finish higher than IS - which is just absurd. Fit and finish on the IS is head and shoulders above the 3 series.
Okay well thats fair then. The IS has some quality issues too doesnt it? Not stuff that I would notice but I've seen some threads about lexus quality getting crappy. My friend's IS-F is pretty nice though
Old 03-13-10, 10:42 PM
LexFather

Question

Okay well thats fair then. The IS has some quality issues too doesnt it? Not stuff that I would notice but I've seen some threads about lexus quality getting crappy. My friend's IS-F is pretty nice though
Och posted pics. Will you?

Old 03-13-10, 10:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The rest of the stuff you mentioned isn't stuff that I would even care to notice. I mean, the cut out on the headrests?
I agree. Who cares if there are cut outs, at least the headrests move up/down/for/aft....the ES350 only go up/down...not sure about the IS

How would you even notice unless you were looking straight under it? Orange gauges are BMW's trademark look. Its not going to change.
If I remember correctly, the brand new current 7 series is using white when I was using one a while back. I never did drive it at night but in the daytime I did remember white gauges....perhaps someone can chime in on this. I am not a 100% as it was a while ago.

but have never noticed the rails but even if i did, doesnt bug me. Its there to serve a purpose....why does it need to be covered?
It doesn't bother me. I would bother me more if a Lexus was showing the seat rails, the BMW does not bother me....BMW's are drivers cars...interiors come second. Lexus' are interiors/comfort cars..the way they drive come second.

While the Lexus cars maybe more luxurious which I believe they are...BMW's advantage over Lexus in regards to interior is that BMW's are more trendy and the designs are more interesting. The upcoming 200h while have a BMW/Audi themed interior...I can't wait./

Most European cars arent meant to have cupholders. I dont think they even exist in europe so the original car designs dont integrate them in.
That is correct. Many europeans shudder at the thought of cup holders in their cars...European cars are meant to be driven..but I think the cars now have cup holders.
Old 03-13-10, 11:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Once again, this isn't about what bothers whom and what one prefers. I made my points to show the lack of credibility of this car and driver article. Their entire publication is biased and can't be taken seriously.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: Audi A5 2.0T Quattro vs BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37 vs Lexus IC350C