Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Car and Driver: Audi A5 2.0T Quattro vs BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37 vs Lexus IC350C

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 01:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When it's subjective, it can never be fair.

And honestly, when you buy a convertible, the whole purchase in an emotional and subjective matter. There is little objectivity to buying a convertible...
Old 03-11-10, 03:33 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They gave BMW fit and finish 9 and 8 to Lexus? LMFAO.

I think I should post some pics of BMW's pathetic fit and finish.
i think BMW should've 8. i think fit and finish is a wash. Audi is definitely superior.
Old 03-11-10, 03:41 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

For IS

score is little low on

exterior styling 6 - should be 7
performance 15 - should be 18
fun to drive 16- should be 18

additional 5 pts right there. should've been a tie with G37. but BMW chasis is clearly superior. there is no argument there.
Old 03-11-10, 05:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
When it's subjective, it can never be fair.

And honestly, when you buy a convertible, the whole purchase in an emotional and subjective matter. There is little objectivity to buying a convertible...
Phil it seems no matter the car and its intention it gets judged the same way. Lets be honest here, these ARE ALL CRUISERS. People that want a vert, a droptop. They are not looking for canyan carvers. They will not be used to carry more than a purse or a wallet. They are style vehicles.

Yet they are being judged like they are 911 Turbos and GT2s.

In the 1990s when I was an avid fan of the mag they really reinforced the "value" and "Price". It seems completely non existent here.

For 10 grand LESS than the softtop A4 you can get a Japanese hardtop covert with damn good interior themselves with over 100hp. You get them loaded.

Does this not matter?

In the BMWs case you get a pretty bare bones 328 for 52 grand. That doesn't matter?

Originally Posted by speedflex
Those are important factors but the issue for the testers was that those advantages were nullified by short comings in other key areas (chassis, comfort and utility). In the end, neither the Lexus nor Infiniti distinguished themselves in any consistent way. I agree with their conclusions in this case.
The Lexus was BY FAR the fastest with the best MPG with the 2nd lowest price (behind the Infiniti) with the lowest weight. The IS completely dominated the powertrain aspect. Stands out to me.

Old 03-11-10, 05:42 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joe80
For IS

score is little low on

exterior styling 6 - should be 7
performance 15 - should be 18
fun to drive 16- should be 18

additional 5 pts right there. should've been a tie with G37. but BMW chasis is clearly superior. there is no argument there.

I agree with performance, but exterior styling was right where it was. The IS-C is def not pretty compared to the other 3.

The price on the A5 is ridiculous. I heard it handles and accelerates like crap. 2 of my friends were gonna buy an S5 until they drove it
Old 03-11-10, 06:06 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Lexus was BY FAR the fastest with the best MPG with the 2nd lowest price (behind the Infiniti) with the lowest weight. The IS completely dominated the powertrain aspect. Stands out to me.
You won't get any arguments from me. But in order to win it needed to be just as strong in the other categories. The IS (and to a lesser degree, the Infiniti) were let down in other categories where the Germans mounted more points. Powertrain is but one element to the story.

All I mean to say is that I can clearly see why the standings landed where they did.
Old 03-11-10, 07:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
You won't get any arguments from me. But in order to win it needed to be just as strong in the other categories. The IS (and to a lesser degree, the Infiniti) were let down in other categories where the Germans mounted more points. Powertrain is but one element to the story.

All I mean to say is that I can clearly see why the standings landed where they did.
Which is true and it is their review. However, for 52k you are not just getting the bigger engine Japanese cars but they are LOADED with features. For the same price you get a basic 328 and for 10 grand more an A5 that a second slower than an ES 350.

Old 03-11-10, 08:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I love the fact that Car and Driver does not just automatically award the first place to the car that has the fastest 0-60 times. It takes more than just the most power to win the comparo ie, interior, driving dynamics etc.

Personally I don't consider the IS interior on par with that of the A4 but it does well against the infiniti. It is a good interior but the Audi is better and BMW/IS350 is probably a tie, with maybe the IS winning. The IS did lose a lot of points on comfort and chassis.

Last edited by pagemaster; 03-11-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 08:24 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

We all know how C/D truly feels about Lexus but here is where I have a problem with their review. The Interior. I'm sorry but there is no way the 3 scores better than the IS in interior fit & finish and driver comfort. What are they smoking? I know interior styling would be totally subjective but when I personally compared the 2 cars, oh my fit and finish definitely goes to IS and comfort definitely goes to IS, if we were talking about comfort for an aggressive driving experience, then of course I'd say the 3.

Everything else in the review I have not much gripe about.
Old 03-11-10, 08:26 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Yet they are being judged like they are 911 Turbos and GT2s.

In the 1990s when I was an avid fan of the mag they really reinforced the "value" and "Price". It seems completely non existent here.
Agreed. I think all car mag writers should list which cars they actually own as opposed to recommending. It's easy recommending a car when you don't have to pay for maintenance or repairs or insurance or any other real world costs.
Old 03-11-10, 08:27 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Can anyone post some pics of the interiors involved?
Old 03-11-10, 08:28 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

the IS-C deserves to come in last based on looks alone, sorry. the rear half of the car is a nightmare
Old 03-11-10, 08:38 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by replica
the IS-C deserves to come in last based on looks alone, sorry. the rear half of the car is a nightmare
Styling is totally subjective, which is not a fair review.
Old 03-11-10, 11:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Look at the points table carefully.

A lot of points are given for completely subjective categories. The majority of the points are not given for objective categories; the points are roughly split evenly between subjective and objective categories.

That is why no matter HOW good a car may be objectively, it will never win a C&D comparison as long as they don't like it for subjective reasons.
Old 03-12-10, 04:13 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Look at the points table carefully.

A lot of points are given for completely subjective categories. The majority of the points are not given for objective categories; the points are roughly split evenly between subjective and objective categories.

That is why no matter HOW good a car may be objectively, it will never win a C&D comparison as long as they don't like it for subjective reasons.
+1

I noticed that too when I was looking closely at there scoring.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: Audi A5 2.0T Quattro vs BMW 328i vs Infiniti G37 vs Lexus IC350C