Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Official Recall thread (updated turbo recall)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-10, 08:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu_house

Doesn't Toyota have a city or something called Toyota World? I forget which. If a skyscraper is a sign of arrogance, what is a whole city?
Didn't you know only Toyota could build things and not be arrogant? Anyone else that builds something taller or bigger than Toyota is considered a no-no. Toyota sets the standard for everything.

If Hyundai's skyscraper is bad, then what does the former Twin Tower mean? NY is twice as arrogant?
Old 02-25-10, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Okay guys let's talk about the recall and move on from it's current course thanks.

Old 02-25-10, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay guys let's talk about the recall and move on from it's current course thanks.
Seems like there really isn't much to it....it's totally unlike the widespread Toyota/Lexus problems. I disagree with those who claim that the Sonata recall is a big deal. First of all, it only affects one particular vehicle.......an all-new vehicle that has NOT seen true mass-production numbers yet and is only now getting into stock at dealerships. Second, it is a relatively simple recall, involving only a couple of parts, at most, in a door assembly. Third, if the car's occupants are properly belted in, even while cornering, it's no big deal if a door does accidentally unlatch....those occupants are not going to be tossed out of the vehicle, though the wind/vaccum created could suck out some small light things like papers and small bags.
Old 02-25-10, 09:52 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Very interesting. I just reviewed a new Sonata yesterday. I was unaware of that feature...(and, of course, didn't try it)....it wasn't publicized in the car's literature.

But what is even MORE intresting is how this feature ever got on the front doors of a new American-spec car (again) to start with. Decades ago, in 1966, a Motor-Vehicle-Safety law went into effect that mandated what were called "non-overriding" inside door locks.....meaning that the door-lock switch had to block the inside door handle until the switch was unlocked. In those days, of course, most non-luxury cars had manual door locks, not power like today. The law was primarily aimed at back seats, to make it more difficult for kids to accidentally open the doors while the car was moving. Later on, the little "kiddie-tabs" on the door-edges locked the doors permanently from the outside, so the kids couldn't get out at all from the inside until they were released.

Perhaps, in the meantime, parts of that law may (?) have been relaxed to allow overriding inside handles on the front doors.
My Mercedes ML has this "feature" of being able to unlock and open the locked doors from the inside by just opening the door. It only works on the front two doors and when it happens ALL doors unlock. To be honest I haven't tried it when the car is moving yet, so I can't really comment on that part. I can't recall if this happens on the other Mercedes models (I seem to recall the E-Class doing this as well).

The Mercedes SUVs until about the last year or so didn't even have the child-lock tabs either. I can't recall if the sedans lacked this feature.
Old 02-25-10, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
My Mercedes ML has this "feature" of being able to unlock and open the locked doors from the inside by just opening the door. It only works on the front two doors and when it happens ALL doors unlock. To be honest I haven't tried it when the car is moving yet, so I can't really comment on that part. I can't recall if this happens on the other Mercedes models (I seem to recall the E-Class doing this as well).

The Mercedes SUVs until about the last year or so didn't even have the child-lock tabs either. I can't recall if the sedans lacked this feature.
Thanks. I remember a safety law, many years ago, that outlawed that lock-override feature. That law may (?) have become redundant when the special "Kiddie" tabs/locks were introduced in the two rear doorjambs, where the kids couldn't get to them when the car was moving.
Old 02-25-10, 11:09 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds similar to the BMW double-pull to unlock / open the door if it's locked (if I understand the feature).

If I understand how you make this feature malfunction, it seems like you have to be actively trying to break your new vehicle; I also think if I tried this on my M3 I would probably mess something up too (no, I'm not going to try it).

Therefore: how does this happen 'by accedent'? and further to that, why is this a recall if the purchaser is this dumb?

Am I missing something?
Old 02-25-10, 11:49 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets stick to the thread topic, if you want to talk about the skyscraper there is another thread for that.
Old 02-25-10, 11:56 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Hyundai is easily top 50 biggest company in the world if you include hyundai heavy industries, contstruction, electronics and etc.
so calling them arrogant is kinda right because well they are arrogant. they are industry giants. Chung brothers are very arrogant IMO.

anyway, i think this is a minor issue. this is a very small recall. Hyundai had recall much bigger than this. but i would be p!ssed the car i just bought is getting recalled. would put a sour taste in my mouth.
Old 02-25-10, 01:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Toyota and Honda are also industrial giants.

A recall wouldn't put a sour taste in my mouth unless it was so severe. And even then, it's only that particular car I'll avoid. I wouldn't put off the brand as a whole just because a vehicle or two has an issue.
Old 09-26-10, 08:41 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Recall

SEOUL (Reuters) – Hyundai Motor, South Korea's top automaker, will recall some 139,500 Sonata sedans sold in the United States, due to problems with the steering wheel that could cause a loss or reduction of control.

The automaker announced the recall after the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) opened a probe into steering problems in August, a move analysts said was aimed at heading off criticism that it was slow to respond.

"Hyundai's pre-emptive action is fast enough to avoid any criticism in handling safety issues," said Kim Byung-kuk, an analyst at Daishin Securities.

No accidents or injuries occurred as a result of improper assembly or loose steering connections, Hyundai said in an email statement on Sunday.

The vehicles were built from December 11 through September 10.

Hyundai sold 128,484 Sonata sedans in the period from January to August, 35 percent of its U.S. car segment sales during the period.

The firm's latest recall comes as the auto maker seeks to increase production of the Sonata, its best-selling model in America, at its plant in Alabama.

Lee Sang-hyun
, an analyst at Hana Daetoo Securities in Seoul, said the recall is unlikely to hit Hyundai's sales.

"However, since potential defects related to assembling are not a significant problem with its quality, it will barely impact Hyundai's sales," Lee said.

In February, Sonata, underwent the first recall this year that affected 47,000 units in South Korea and U.S. due to front door lock faults.

Hyundai has been one of the stronger performers in the U.S. auto sector in recent years, gaining market share and logging an 8.3% sales increase in 2009, while the industry fell 21% overall to the lowest levels since the early 1980s.

Hyundai's affiliate Kia Motors said in early September its co-chief executive resigned to take responsibility for nearly 86,000 recalls of some of its models, including the Soul compact sedan.
Old 09-26-10, 06:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Didnt Soul get investigated for same issue?
Old 09-27-10, 08:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Much ado about nothing.
Old 09-27-10, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They'll blame it on an engineer or exec who's gonna get fired.

Hyundai/Kia will move on...
Old 09-27-10, 10:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

2010 the year of the recall. If nothing else, it's good for the consumer.
Old 09-27-10, 09:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
2010 the year of the recall. If nothing else, it's good for the consumer.
Yes 2009/2010 certainly was and is.

My Lexus IS350 will have it's 3rd recall done shortly, I've had 2 TSIBs done and I've had zero warranty defects or repairs. I have had lots of free car washes and free tanks of gas fortunately, excellent customer service.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Official Recall thread (updated turbo recall)