Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great review Mike. As you said, it is a very competitive car, and I really think it will give this segment something to think about. With class leading base horsepower, quality materials, safety, good fuel economy, and a striking design both inside and out, I think Hyundai may have another hit. Although the roof line does cut into head space in the rear, I couldn't help but notice the rear seats seemed to have ample leg room which is a plus.

It is true some people will shy away from the Sonata because of the lack of a V6, including myself, however with the addition of a turbocharged engine in the near future I may be turned on again .

My overall all impression from what I've seen and read is that this is a very solid car. Once again thanks for the review Mike.
Sure....anytime. Glad you enjoyed it.

You are correct that, despite the head-bumping rear roofline, rear-seat legroom is still OK for taller people.....I tried to make that clear in the review.

With the upcoming CAFE mileage standards, my bet is that we see the hybrid (which, supposedly, is coming later this year), before a turbo.

As far as "shying" away from it because of the lack of a V6, with some people, unfortunately, it goes even beyond that. There are a number of people out there, living in the past, stuck with the memories of the junk, poorly-built Hyundais of the late 1980s and early-mid 1990s, that still avoid Hyundai and Kia products simply because of the nameplates. I confess that I was once like that myself, to an extent.....until I saw what kind of new vehicles Hyundai started turning out in the last 10 years or so.
Old 02-22-10, 07:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just a guess, but perhaps (?) Hyundai released the new Sonata early, ASAP, to take advantage of the Camry's PR problems. I agree with you that, with Hyundai, we may (?), in the not-distant future, be looking at the new Toyota.
They have done nothing but impress me over the past 4 years. The models they release keep getting better and better. They are not going to take a back seat to the Japanese. I was on the freeway today behind a Genesis and I truly thought the car looked just as nice as any Lexus, Infiniti , or German car. Just like when Lexus started they are giving customer top notch design, quality, and fit and finish for a much lower price.

I dont know if Hyundai will out Lexus Lexus but they are learning from them .
Old 02-22-10, 08:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They have done nothing but impress me over the past 4 years. The models they release keep getting better and better. They are not going to take a back seat to the Japanese. I was on the freeway today behind a Genesis and I truly thought the car looked just as nice as any Lexus, Infiniti , or German car. Just like when Lexus started they are giving customer top notch design, quality, and fit and finish for a much lower price.

I dont know if Hyundai will out Lexus Lexus but they are learning from them
I agree they are demonstrating a strong showing in these categories. The only Ace I can see Lexus holding is their customer service at the dealers. I have no experience with Hyundai dealers, but Lexus is truly exceptional in my book
Old 02-23-10, 12:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont know if Hyundai will out Lexus Lexus but they are learning from them .
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I agree they are demonstrating a strong showing in these categories. The only Ace I can see Lexus holding is their customer service at the dealers. I have no experience with Hyundai dealers, but Lexus is truly exceptional in my book
Part of that, of course, will depend on if Hyundai ever gets their projected luxury division going. As of now, from what I learned at the D.C. Auto Show, that is still on hold, and the Equus luxury car, when it arrives, is projected to be sold under the Hyundai nameplate.
Old 02-23-10, 12:49 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detailed review as usual .

I remember you said earlier in another thread that the sheet metal felt thin when you glanced at a Sonata at an autoshow. I guess this is not the case then?

Also interesting comments about the seats. So if the cloth rear seats are overly firm, and the front seats lack some support, in your opinion how comfortable would the car be say for longer drives? If a family of 4 or 5 was in the car going on a long drive, say for at least 2-3 hours, how comfortable do you think it would be?

I also discovered that part of the reason the 2011 Sonata gets great fuel economy is due to low rolling resistance tires. Supposedly ALL 2011 Sonatas, regardless of trim, come with low rolling resistance tires and "regular" tires are not available.

Several initial reviews so far of the Sonata have commented on some slightly loud road noise coming from the tires, which makes sense given low rolling resistance tires often produce more road noise than regular tires.

With this in mind, I wonder what the Sonata's repeated braking performance is.
Old 02-23-10, 01:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Detailed review as usual .
Thanks.

I remember you said earlier in another thread that the sheet metal felt thin when you glanced at a Sonata at an autoshow. I guess this is not the case then?
Yes, that may (?) have been an initial contradiction at first, but I was rather busy at the show, looking at hundreds of vehicles, and only had a few minutes to briefly scan each one and form an initial impression. But, I remarked, then, that I'd reserve further comments until a full-review, where I'd have much more time (and a test-drive) to spend with each vehcle. Except for the Munchkin rear roofline and its effects, I was generally more impressed with the new Sonata, once I had time to inspect it more in detail, than I did on initial impression at the show. That sometimes happens.

Also interesting comments about the seats. So if the cloth rear seats are overly firm, and the front seats lack some support, in your opinion how comfortable would the car be say for longer drives? If a family of 4 or 5 was in the car going on a long drive, say for at least 2-3 hours, how comfortable do you think it would be?
The cloth rear seats felt a little firmer then the front, but both let you know that you were not in an older Buick. The front seats weren't necessarily park-bench flat, but were a long way from typical sports-car seats, and did not offer a whole lot of side support. Of course, cars lke the Sonata, though reasonably competent-handling for a family sedan, aren't meant to carve up corners where you would NEED a whole lot of side-support.

As far as backaches from long drives go, much of that, of course, depends on the condition of your back/spine, how long the drive actually is, and if you have a chance to get out and briefly rest. I myself, being in my late 50's, tend to get a little Sciatica in the lower back and upper legs when sitting on them for awhile, especially on harder surfaces, and sometimes have to just get up and stretch for a minute or two. In general, the seats in European-designed cars seem more comfortable and form-fitted, and less firm, than those from Asian manufacturers, which often use overly-firm cushions. So, I wouldn't necessarily rate the Sonata as one of the most comfortable long-distance cars...but, of course, that opinion is based on the one suburban test-drive I took, which, in general, was not long enough to be rated as a "long" trip.

I also discovered that part of the reason the 2011 Sonata gets great fuel economy is due to low rolling resistance tires. Supposedly ALL 2011 Sonatas, regardless of trim, come with low rolling resistance tires and "regular" tires are not available.

Several initial reviews so far of the Sonata have commented on some slightly loud road noise coming from the tires, which makes sense given low rolling resistance tires often produce more road noise than regular tires.
I commented, in the review, on some road/tire noise, but, on my particular test car with its Kumho 55-series tires, did not find it high enough to be objectionable. Some of that, of course, was masked by the audible chuffle from the engine and exhaust under acceleration.

I suspect, with the upcoming CAFE standards, that more and more vehicles will start using low-rolling-resistance tires. Unfortunately, besides noise, that type of tire, using a relatively hard tread compound, can sometimes give sub-standard rain/snow traction. In general, harder rubber compounds wear longer and give better fuel economy than softer ones, but the trade-off is often poorer traction and cornering, especially in wet/slick conditions. The introduction, in recent years, of silica compounds into newer tire designs, however, has helped compromise the trade-offs required with different types of tires.

The main factor, tough, in tire noise is the tread pattern, even more so than the rubber compound itself. In general, wide, chunky/blocky tread patterns, which are typical of purpose-designed snow/winter tires, make the most noise when brand-new, though a number of different tires tend to increase their road noise level somewhat as they wear.

With this in mind, I wonder what the Sonata's repeated braking performance is.
Of course, I did not do panic stops or repeated-fade tests under track/testing conditions. For that, you will need to consult a publication like Car & Driver or Road & Track . But, the brakes seemed fine for all normal driving, had only a little sponginess/free play, were smooth and reasonably effective, and the pedal-spacing had only a minor effect on big shoes like mine.

As you suspect, though, with a FWD, front-heavy vehicle and low-resistance tires with a relatively fairly tall, narrow, 55-series profile, I wouldn't expect Porsche-911-type stopping distances under hard braking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-10 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 05:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great detailed review, Mike. I've been looking forward to this review for some time. I am so impressed with Hyundai, lately. Also, I'm one of those members that aren't liking the lack of a V6. I drove a 4 cylinder for years and after owning my V6 Accord, I swore I would never go back to a four, again. I am disappointed, to say the least. Genesis?
Old 02-23-10, 06:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Great detailed review, Mike.
Thanks.

I've been looking forward to this review for some time.
Hyundai released the 2011 version quite early...possibly (?) as discussed above, to take advantage of the Camry's problems. I didn't have to wait for the review as long as I thought I would. At the D.C. Auto Show in January, they promised the car would be available locally in about two weeks.....and it was. I would have gotten to it even sooner if it was not for the awful conditions here in the D.C. area early this month that hampered a lot of buisness and travel. For example, it took some dealerships a week or so just to dig all of their new cars out from 2-3 feet of snow.

I am so impressed with Hyundai, lately. Also, I'm one of those members that aren't liking the lack of a V6. I drove a 4 cylinder for years and after owning my V6 Accord, I swore I would never go back to a four, again. I am disappointed, to say the least. Genesis?
This new 2.4L four, while, granted, not NHRA material, is no slouch, either. Its 200 HP and 186 ft-lbs. of torque will get the car out of its own way....and those figures were about average for the V6s of not so long ago. The entry-level GLS version has the option of a 6-speed manual (at a lower price, too), which will (probably) also help the 0-60 times.
Old 02-23-10, 07:23 AM
St00k
Driver

Here's some of the AutoGuide review

We’re crawling, absolutely crawling on a stretch of highway just North of San Diego. This might be expected in Southern California during rush-hour, or any other time of day here for that matter, but the road is free of traffic. What we’re trying to do is win Hyundai’s Fuel Economy Challenge – an event organized as a part of the launch of the all-new 2011 Sonata.

This might not be an accurate representation of daily driving, but Hyundai is eager to show-off just how fuel efficient the new Sonata is. We manage to eek out a 46.8 mpg rating and as impressive as it sounds, that’s only enough for a 3rd place finish, with the winning team managing 52.8 mpg. We also just miss out on a private dinner with Hyundai Motor America CEO John Krafcik who promised just such a prize to anyone who could beat his 47.8 mpg score.

BEST-IN-CLASS FUEL ECONOMY

Under real world driving conditions you should expect closer to 22/35 mpg (24/35 with the six-speed manual). Those numbers are class-leading, topping even the Accord and Camry. They are also just one of many reasons why Hyundai’s new Sonata is a game changer, for the Korean automaker and for the conventionally conventional mid-size sedan segment.

Hyundai dedicated so much of the Sonata’s launch to driving home the fuel-economy numbers and we spent so much time competing in “eco challenges” that we needed to borrow the car the very next day just to get enough of a feel to give our first impressions.

DIRECT-INJECTION DELIVERS BIG JUMP IN POWER

So once again we’re out in the Sonata, but this time it’s different. The car’s new gasoline direct injection (GDI) 2.4-liter 4-cylinder isn’t just a fuel miser, it also makes 198-hp (200-hp in SE trim) and we’re using all of it.

Now this mid-size sedan is no blacktop burner, but acceleration is good, thanks in part to a significantly better power to weight ratio than the competition. This isn’t just because Hyundai’s 4-cyliner makes 22 more horsepower than an Accord, but because it weighs so much less than almost any other vehicle in its class. In fact, the Sonata is as much as 200-lbs lighter than some at just 3,199 lbs to start. A major reason for this is that Hyundai engineers didn’t need to design the chassis to handle a V6. That’s right, there won’t be a V6 option for the Sonata, but rather a turbocharged 4-cylinder that is set to arrive later this year. Game changer number two, or is that two and three?

The car’s new six-speed automatic transmission helps in both the fuel economy and performance arenas. Sick of playing catch-up with automakers like Honda and Toyota, in the past offering only 4-speed automatics while the Japanese had 5-speed units, Hyundai went and developed its own six-speed – a light weight compact unit that shifts seamlessly. A self-shifting feature is available for sportier driving, while the SE trim level gets paddle shifters.
read the full review here
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...rive-1299.html
Old 02-23-10, 07:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

This new 2.4L four, while, granted, not NHRA material, is no slouch, either. Its 200 HP and 186 ft-lbs. of torque will get the car out of its own way....and those figures were about average for the V6s of not so long ago. The entry-level GLS version has the option of a 6-speed manual (at a lower price, too), which will (probably) also help the 0-60 times.
Aside from the power/torque issue, it's the smoothness and quietness of the V6 I can't give up.
Old 02-23-10, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by St00k
Tanks for posting. Generally a good review. I agree with much of what it says. The only significant thing I disagree on is their evaluation of the interior materials. I feel, unlike them, that the quality of the materials inside the new Sonata is as good or better than any comparable Japanese-nameplate car....including the Accord, and definitely better than the Camry's.

And, of course, they didn't criticize the Munchkin rear roofline, but perhaps they aren't as big or tall as I am.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: 2010 VW GTI
Old 02-23-10, 10:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Next planned review: 2010 VW GTI
ahhh yes!!!

Nice review as usual Mike!

....I agree with you on the plastic wheel covers....they should be banned

is this what they looked like?

Last edited by bagwell; 02-23-10 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-23-10, 01:34 PM
LexFather

Wow Mike, great unbiased review. Seems like its going to sell even more in fleets

Old 02-23-10, 02:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
ahhh yes!!!

Nice review as usual Mike!
Thanks.

....I agree with you on the plastic wheel covers....they should be banned

is this what they looked like?

Thanks for posting.

Yep, sure is....that's them. And, never mind what they LOOK like.....what they FEEL like is even worse. That's why I mentioned, in the review, that I'd toss them and at least get a better aftermarket set from Pep Boys or another parts store.

I didn't post an image of them because I didn't see any on Google (they were generally of the upmarket Sonatas and the alloy wheels), and I don't have a digital camera, or any experience using one. But, that aside, for all of the other good things that Hyundai and Kia do so well nowadays, they really skimp on the non-alloy wheels and covers....I've seen the same problem on Elantras and some lower-line Kias.

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Hyundai Sonata