Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds First Drive: Mercedes SLS AMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 11:40 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is getting out of hand...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Look we know you love Mercdes/German cars which is fine and thanks for sharing info on a car we have discussed.
And you know this for a fact because...?

I live and work in Stuttgart, Germany. This city is home to Porsche and Mercedes-Benz, so of course there is a fascination on my part with these two brands. Plus, my two previous company cars here were from Mercedes. I had the choice between my ex-C200 CDI or an A4 and I liked the C class better. Then when I signed up for another company car a year later, I thought the E230 E class would be great since me and my then-girlfriend and now wife were planning on touring Europe by car whenever we could. Comfort was my priority.

Maybe these facts have, in your mind, made me a Mercedes fan, but I have often enough reminded you that I appreciate Mercedes, but I am not a hardcore fan. In fact, I appreciate many cars from different countries, Lexus included. When you live and work in Stuttgart, you cannot help but talk about Mercedes and Porsche "all the time".

Also, while there are some great offerings from Toyota in Europe, design is important to me and the next best thing, the Avensis, while a superb car, just didn't appeal to me as much as say the Citroen C5, the car I really had my heart set on (and still do). While I am in Europe, I'd like the chance to experience some of the cars we don't get back home in the US. And that's exactly what I am doing now.

I have committed the ultimate sin: I drive a BMW in a city ruled by Mercedes and Porsche.
Old 02-19-10, 11:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DustinV
All those AMG cars you just mentioned are themselves exclusive cars anywhere in the world. So I don't see how using the 6.3 V8 will make the SLS any less exclusive. Since when do engines make a car exclusive? I mean, the fact that someone owns and drives an SLS is exclusive enough.
With all do respect, in Atlanta I probably see more AMG Mercedes than I do taxi cabs. It has been the same on my trips to LA, Miami, San Diego, and plenty of other areas. I am not discrediting the 6.3L itself but think about it: You have $240K to spend and the car on the left shares it's engine with a variant of the C Class, and the one on the right has an engine that is bespoke to only itself. Which one is more exclusive?

Also, FWIW, I am not sure if you are serious about the "Since when do engines make a car exclusive?" comment...?

The Lamborghini V10 is also found in the current Audi RS6 and R8 V10, right?
I think the Audi S8 had it before it was discontinued, so that would be 3 models? The cheapest one has a starting price of some $85,000, I think? Different league here.

Some people don't want a DBS or a Gallardo, they want an SLS. They find it attractive and appealing, they have the money and for them the price is a non-issue.

Besides, the SLS has a historical and emotional connection to the legendary 300SL Gullwing. It's the modern incarnation of a legend. For some people, that's the selling point. There's probably more to the car which I don't know about that will make it work. The people who made this car and market it aren't stupid, you know.
I agree with you- different strokes for different folks. I know what the SLS stands for and why they built it, and in my eyes it's just not worth the money. Simply put, I don't think it's really "exotic" enough. That's all there is to it.
Old 02-19-10, 06:51 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is I stood in front of this car at the LA Auto Show for half an hour drooling. I LOVE IT!

PS I thought this car was still gonna ring in at under 200k?
Old 02-20-10, 06:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

guys, stay focused on this car and the review, please.

i think that profile shot is fabulous... great design.
interior does look too conservative to me, but can't see that much either.
Old 02-20-10, 05:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I really like the SLS. Very striking design. I love the mix of modern and classic cues. Well executed IMO.