Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Slowpoke bill, do you agree?
Yes, move your slow behind over or get a ticket
59.02%
Yes, but its hopeless won't be enforced
27.87%
No, once they go the speed limit they can drive in the fast lane
6.56%
No, people need to slow down
1.64%
GA sucks
4.92%
I don't drive in the fast lane
0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

GA; Proposed bill: Move over, slowpoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 04:22 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is HORRIBLE here. The slow lanes constantly is faster than the fast lane! Everyone here thinks there is some sort of odd entitlement to being in the fast lane.

Its BAD BAD BAD here
I drove from one end of GA to the next last month & I am confident the favorite pastime in GA is tailgating!
Old 03-22-10, 04:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not true in most of Europe. These laws (and customs) work in Europe because of the difference in driver education and skill levels combined with related laws. American drivers are often unskilled, poorly trained, ignorant and arrogant.

But yes I know the debate goes on here, blah, blah, blah...................................
Agreed. The "flash to pass" feature on your headlights--ever use that on a US interstate? How often does the car in front of you pull to the side. For me, I'd say less than 10%.
Old 03-22-10, 07:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Agreed. The "flash to pass" feature on your headlights--ever use that on a US interstate? How often does the car in front of you pull to the side. For me, I'd say less than 10%.
Good example, because flash to pass feature works in Europe.

In most of Europe the speed limits on highways are not that much different than the US (post 55 fiasco in the modern era of course), but the driver education and skill levels are much different.
Old 03-22-10, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
As for the ignorant and arrogant part, yup, it boils down to attitude driving. These people think they own the road... They also think they are the law and the road king.... also they don't take driving seriously. When they are behind the wheels they need to prioritize what needs to be paid most attention to, which is driving.
It's not question of THEM being the law as much as it is the fact that, on many stretches of road, there (effectively) is no law, period. Cops are few and far between.

And to mmarshall, there are some situations where you'll have to go over the speed limit.
Of course there are. I never said any different.

But there's a difference between a few MPH over and reckless driving, which is 20-25 MPH over.

in Ford Mustang GT gave me a middle finger and refused to move over or speed up. After I got around him he then immediately went across all the way to the farthest right lane and went WOT weaving in and out of traffic at 100+ mph and cut in front of me. What this tells me? read the following:

- He thinks he is totally right to camp in the passing lane (4 lane each direction) because he is going 4 mph over the speed limit which he thinks is "reasonable", and pacing with other cars on the right. Since I flashed him my high beams it's okay for him to give me a middle finger.

- He thinks he owns the road.
Regardless of how he treated you (and I'm not condoning his actions in giving you an obscene gesture), you just stumbled on a true rarity.....a V8 Mustang driver respecting the speed limit. I can count that on the fingers of one hand.....(no, not the middle one)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Uote]

Going 20~25 over is nothing unusual for a lot of drivers, including the "good", or the "best" drivers in the nation. Or should I say those drivers that never had an accident and speeding tickets for 20~ 30+ years, my Dad is one of them. He's 60 now. Really, on a 65-mph limit interstate, cars traveling at 85 mph in the inside lane passing cars on the right has been like *normal*. This isn't really out of reach. You need to loosen it up a bit will ya?

I have seen quite a few folks that follow speed limit and yet they get more tickets on moving violations and more accidents than those who easily go over the speed limit. You can be an awesome driver and defensive driver by going over the speed limit most of the time. Speed limit isn't the only thing involved when driving, as we know.

I don't always nail the limits.......but I drive in a manner consistant with both road/traffic conditions, common sense, and what leeway the law allows.

That is why, to this day, I have never gotten a speeding ticket...only a few red-light violations and only one speed warning.

You mean a thumb's up? Of course you would like to see this Mustang guy abiding by speed law since you like to follow speed limits.. The problem is there was no car in front of him and he was pacing with the slower cars on the right lane which is the problem. Even though he was going a few mph above the speed limit, blocking (camping) traffic in the inside lane was wrong. Plus the fact that he went WOT and sped up beyond 100 mph cutting all lanes weaving in and out of traffic which makes him a total reckless driver and completely foolish. You want to give him a thumb up for that? Nice. lol
I didn't give him a thumb-up. I said that he was a rarity. Based on what I've seen with Mustang drivers over the years, I stand by that statement.

I was going to exit this thread, but I wanted to respond to your statements.
Old 03-23-10, 05:28 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty dang good not getting one single speeding ticket all these years. I on the other hand had no accidents for what... 13 years? and no speeding ticket for the last 5 years. Last time I got pulled over by a cop was back in 2006 when I was driving my Acura TL 6MT. I was behind this idiot old lady blocking the left lane the entire way (2~ 3 miles) on a 45 mph-limit street. She was going 35. I got pissed off as hell and made an very aggressive overtake. Down shifted to 2nd and went WOT. VTEC POWA!!! WHAMMMMM... instant 55+ mph. To my surprise I saw cop with flashing lights in my rear view mirror. He pulled me over and asked me why did I drive so aggressively and overtake a car at such speed? I told the cop what happened. Guess what? He understood my frustration and became my side. That's right baby! He gave me no ticket. If that cop was on the same street monitoring this old lady's driving he would have pulled her over and given her a ticket.

I can't stand slow drivers that wont get over! AMEN!
Old 03-23-10, 05:31 PM
LexFather

It truly is disgusting. I drove to Athens from Atlanta yesterday and it is PATHETIC to see the amount of people just leisurely driving in the fast lane, even if I am not in it.

I propose the cops drive tanks and bulldozers for enforcement and run them or crush them. Seems fair.

Old 03-23-10, 05:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ wtf is wrong with so many American drivers, the level of incompetence and arrogance is almost beyond words.
Old 03-23-10, 07:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ wtf is wrong with so many American drivers, the level of incompetence and arrogance is almost beyond words.
Although it's hard to beat SoCal/L.A. traffic for sheer volume, there are lots of places in the world where traffic, in general, is worse than in America, and drivers are more incompetent.

If you get a chance, check out this book by Tom Vanderbilt....you can probably find it at your local library or bookstore. I just got done reading it myself. It's lengthy, but interesting.

Old 03-24-10, 08:00 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although it's hard to beat SoCal/L.A. traffic for sheer volume, there are lots of places in the world where traffic, in general, is worse than in America, and drivers are more incompetent.
Note: This is not about traffic volume.

Not true in the modern western world. American drivers are some of the most incompetent in non-third world countries, especially compared to European drivers. Those of us that actually travel and drive in various countries know what I mean.
Old 03-24-10, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Note: This is not about traffic volume.

Not true in the modern western world. American drivers are some of the most incompetent in non-third world countries, especially compared to European drivers. Those of us that actually travel and drive in various countries know what I mean.
Poor driving tactics, such as rubbernecking, does contribute to congestion, if you consider that volume is what makes congestion to start with. Rubbernecking causes congestion to back up even more.

That is an excellent book, BTW...check it out. Note: It also addresses the thread topic, to an extent.....speed limits and left-lane yielding.
Old 03-24-10, 09:37 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Poor driving tactics, such as rubbernecking, does contribute to congestion, if you consider that volume is what makes congestion to start with. Rubbernecking causes congestion to back up even more.

Good stuff?, mention that on the rubber necking thread..
Old 03-24-10, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Good stuff?, mention that on the rubber necking thread..

Don't need a rubbernecking thread on it. In this area, as with most big urban areas, we see enough of it every day.