Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Hyundai better than Toyota and Honda? New models suggest yes

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
There are optional 18 inchers on the higher price model.
To be fair here is a SE with 18s and they still look tiny. Not just a Sonata issue though, seems all cars are like this.

Old 02-08-10, 10:34 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

we'll just see how long they last
Old 02-08-10, 10:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
That is all.

kthnxbai
I have to say its amazing people seem to forget Hyundai sucked complete *** not even 6-7 years ago. Yes I think its great they are improved and yall know I have recommended them, I like them, I give the new ones in most cases.

That said Toyota (and Honda) has done it for decades now. I do agree Hyundai has some things on those two but it would be HARD for me to say they are better.

In 5 years or in 10 years, let me see how these new Hyundai's are doing. Then I can say "you know what, they do build a great car now".

Its easy to get excited about new cars and forget about how it will drive, feel, be in the future.

Old 02-08-10, 10:41 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like Hyundai is using the Toyota recall issue to their advantage.

Good PR move or not?

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSI...1002050056.asp

Hyundai Kia Automotive Group will conduct a massive product quality review in light of the developments at Toyota Motor Corp.

According the group, its two carmakers Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. plan to make a special review on the quality of components supplied by parts makers and strengthen quality control systems.

The measures follow on the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group chairman Chung Mongkoo’s comments that emphasized the importance of safety and quality, group officials said. Chung touched on the issue at a strategy conference on Monday.

Chung also issued orders to analyze the cause of Toyota’s troubles and to closely follow the developments to prevent such a situation being repeated at Hyundai and Kia.

The quality review process will begin with parts makers producing safetyrelated components and expand to include manufacturers of other parts, with the aim of completing the process for all of Hyundai and Kia’s 500 or so suppliers within the year.

For the special reviews, the carmakers will also draw up quality control standards for their overseas suppliers.

The new standards will be applied to quality reviews conducted by the parts makers, which will then be followed up with tests carried out by personnel dispatched from Hyundai and Kia.

In addition, the two carmakers are said to be planning to introduce a training program for avoiding safetyrelated problems for employees of their local and overseas operations from this week.

Aside from the new measures, the company said that it had been operating a threepart quality control system for core components including accelerator pedals and brake systems that are at the center of developments at Toyota.

The first stage will be carried out by the parts manufacturer and the second stage will be conducted by the carmakers’ research and development team and the purchasing department.

The components that have passed the first two tests are then analyzed by Hyundai Mobis Co. that assembles modules used in Hyundai and Kia vehicles.

In contrast to Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, other local carmakers say that they have no special measures triggered by Toyota’s situation.

“Since taking office, president Arcamone has focused on quality as can be seen in his visits to production sites,” a GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Co. official said.

“We have no special programs planned, but with the new president emphasizing quality, related processes will be strengthened.

An official at Renault Samsung Motors Co. also said that the company quality has always been the company’s highest priority and that the company will continue to do so.

(cheesuk@heraldm.com)

By Choi Hesuk
Old 02-08-10, 10:57 PM
LexFather

Did you read that? It has nothing to do with PR, they are going to check their own quality process as it is copied. If the leader has issues, the copier might follow soon.

THEIR quality process is TOYOTA's (which is fine). They like others, use the Kaizen/Toyota production method.

Hell we had a thread of the ex Toyota engineer that was hired by Hyundai and was giving PowerPoint presentations with the TOYOTA LOGO

Old 02-08-10, 11:03 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Did you read that? It has nothing to do with PR, they are going to check their own quality process as it is copied. If the leader has issues, the copier might follow soon.

THEIR quality process is TOYOTA's (which is fine). They like others, use the Kaizen/Toyota production method.
It is a brilliant PR move by Hyundai...perfect time to make an announcement saying that they will make sure this will never happen to Hyundai..
Old 02-08-10, 11:05 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell we had a thread of the ex Toyota engineer that was hired by Hyundai and was giving PowerPoint presentations with the TOYOTA LOGO
Its just a standard quality engineering process used, most company's just have a 5-column type structure for it, and use the 6sigma tactics...While trying to keep the COR(Cost of Rework) down to bear minimums.
Old 02-08-10, 11:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

It is a brilliant PR move by Hyundai...perfect time to make an announcement saying that they will make sure this will never happen to Hyundai..
Learning experience for everyone. So far Toyota has handled and administered these recalls with no hiccups. The current Toyota/CTS specific recall is being handled as we speak. There is even a dealer here in Southern California (World's largest car dealer - Longo Toyota), that is staying open 24 hours a day 7 days a week to handle this. That's customer service.
Old 02-08-10, 11:08 PM
LexFather

What PR move exactly? An article like that is not a PR move. You linked the "Korea Herald" which 99.9% of Americans do not read.

A PR move is Hyundai offering incentives to Toyota customers for trading in, as they are doing now. That "article" is not PR.

Never? Never speak in obsoletes. Hyundai will have a recall, everyone does.

It is simply amazing to me some people have forgotten Hyundai couldn't build anything resembling a quality car a few years ago. Now we are all supposed to act like that didn't happen?

I don't think so.

Old 02-09-10, 12:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think we have to compare model for model and in this case Hyundai has a lot of new models to Toyota. Hyundai and Honda compare pretty well one on one. Hyundai has the Genesis over Toyota but Toyota has a slew of products Hyundai doesn't offer. Trucks, full size SUVs, multiple V-8s, and of course hybrids.

I pay respect to them and I am a fan of their work. However as a past owner they can suck it like GM/Ford can suck it (Genesis coupe is VERY appealing though). My family or myself put good money in these brands cars in the past and they were piles of MONKEY crap. Don't expect me to go back and pay now, I've moved on and very happy with what I've moved on to. I'll RECOMMEND a Hyundai but they won't see my or my families money more than likely, ever again. I see no reason to do the same to Ford/GM but give Hyundai a pass just b/c its "an import".

So no, they are not better than Toyota OVERALL to me. I can appreciate them finally getting themselves together but some brands have had it together for DECADES.

As for Honda if its not a S2000, ITR (must buy lojack lol) or NSX, I have no interest. To me Hyundai is the better brand and the Genesis is superior to any Acura. Honda and Hyundai have similar lineups and I find the Hyundai's much more appealing. I also much prefer the image of Hyundai (bad credit brand/new image) to Honda (rice a roni/idiots). That said I find Honda more appealing from a past/history perspective as they have been far more reliable and have provided people with some quality products for decades and again, while Hyundai was selling us giraffe crap. I'll recommend a Honda but I'd rather get eaten by a reconstructed Saber Tooth Tiger and have it posted all over Youtube than own one (sans the 3 cars I mentioned before).

Pic of a base Sonata from a not so flattering angle

Agreed completely. Some brands have had it together for decades like you said, and that is why I respect them more and trust them more than Hyundai.

Brands like Toyota and Honda have earned their reputation with decades of good products. I don't like Hondas personally for a number of reasons, but I can see why people buy them.

Hyundai is trying to be too much like Toyota, and Kia is trying hard right now to be like Honda. Due to the fact that Hyundai is imitating the competition instead of creating their own unique products and innovations, that is why Hyundai will always be one step behind the competition, until they change their mentality and perspective.

Also given the huge changes Hyundai is making with every model, it has me worried. A lot of their redesigns seem rushed, and when you look at the little details, the really small details in the exterior and interior you see plenty of evidence of rushed design, and "form over function" which is becoming more prevalent with Hyundai models.

The worry also for Hyundai's image and reputation is that their next-gen models could be almost completely unrecognizable from the previous generation models, which could alienate people.

Their prices continue to increase, now in many cases matching the competition, yet Hyundai does not have the reputation yet to command such prices.

That Sonata by the way is hideous with that body-colored grill. I am very curious to see the base model Sonata interior. Do you have any pics?

Looks like Hyundai is using the Toyota recall issue to their advantage.

Good PR move or not?

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSI...1002050056.asp

Hyundai Kia Automotive Group will conduct a massive product quality review in light of the developments at Toyota Motor Corp.

According the group, its two carmakers Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. plan to make a special review on the quality of components supplied by parts makers and strengthen quality control systems.

The measures follow on the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group chairman Chung Mongkoo’s comments that emphasized the importance of safety and quality, group officials said. Chung touched on the issue at a strategy conference on Monday.

Chung also issued orders to analyze the cause of Toyota’s troubles and to closely follow the developments to prevent such a situation being repeated at Hyundai and Kia.

The quality review process will begin with parts makers producing safetyrelated components and expand to include manufacturers of other parts, with the aim of completing the process for all of Hyundai and Kia’s 500 or so suppliers within the year.

For the special reviews, the carmakers will also draw up quality control standards for their overseas suppliers.

The new standards will be applied to quality reviews conducted by the parts makers, which will then be followed up with tests carried out by personnel dispatched from Hyundai and Kia.

In addition, the two carmakers are said to be planning to introduce a training program for avoiding safetyrelated problems for employees of their local and overseas operations from this week.

Aside from the new measures, the company said that it had been operating a threepart quality control system for core components including accelerator pedals and brake systems that are at the center of developments at Toyota.

The first stage will be carried out by the parts manufacturer and the second stage will be conducted by the carmakers’ research and development team and the purchasing department.

The components that have passed the first two tests are then analyzed by Hyundai Mobis Co. that assembles modules used in Hyundai and Kia vehicles.

In contrast to Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, other local carmakers say that they have no special measures triggered by Toyota’s situation.

“Since taking office, president Arcamone has focused on quality as can be seen in his visits to production sites,” a GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Co. official said.

“We have no special programs planned, but with the new president emphasizing quality, related processes will be strengthened.

An official at Renault Samsung Motors Co. also said that the company quality has always been the company’s highest priority and that the company will continue to do so.

(cheesuk@heraldm.com)

By Choi Hesuk
Analyze Toyota's troubles and closely follow the developments?

This is a great example of why I have little respect for Hyundai, and also a perfect example that Hyundai does nothing but copy Toyota every chance they get .

Hyundai needs to STOP copying Toyota every step of the way and needs to start focusing on and worrying more about their own business.

What PR move exactly? An article like that is not a PR move. You linked the "Korea Herald" which 99.9% of Americans do not read.

A PR move is Hyundai offering incentives to Toyota customers for trading in, as they are doing now. That "article" is not PR.

Never? Never speak in obsoletes. Hyundai will have a recall, everyone does.

It is simply amazing to me some people have forgotten Hyundai couldn't build anything resembling a quality car a few years ago. Now we are all supposed to act like that didn't happen?

I don't think so.
QFT.
Old 02-09-10, 12:15 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Agreed completely. Some brands have had it together for decades like you said, and that is why I respect them more and trust them more than Hyundai.

Brands like Toyota and Honda have earned their reputation with decades of good products. I don't like Hondas personally for a number of reasons, but I can see why people buy them.

Hyundai is trying to be too much like Toyota, and Kia is trying hard right now to be like Honda. Due to the fact that Hyundai is imitating the competition instead of creating their own unique products and innovations, that is why Hyundai will always be one step behind the competition, until they change their mentality and perspective.

Also given the huge changes Hyundai is making with every model, it has me worried. A lot of their redesigns seem rushed, and when you look at the little details, the really small details in the exterior and interior you see plenty of evidence of rushed design, and "form over function" which is becoming more prevalent with Hyundai models.

The worry also for Hyundai's image and reputation is that their next-gen models could be almost completely unrecognizable from the previous generation models, which could alienate people.

Their prices continue to increase, now in many cases matching the competition, yet Hyundai does not have the reputation yet to command such prices.

That Sonata by the way is hideous with that body-colored grill. I am very curious to see the base model Sonata interior. Do you have any pics?

Analyze Toyota's troubles and closely follow the developments?

This is a great example of why I have little respect for Hyundai, and also a perfect example that Hyundai does nothing but copy Toyota every chance they get .

Hyundai needs to STOP copying Toyota every step of the way and needs to start focusing on and worrying more about their own business.
I think this is more of a rant against Hyundai than any truth.

Everybody copies everybody. Toyota has been doing this forever....I give Hyundai credit for not being afraid to offer a V8 (where is Honda's), IRS on the Boreggo, a body on frame boreggo, interesting styling....and please tell how Hyundai copied Toyota with the Genesis Coupe?.....Didn't Toyota follow Hyundai with the Toyota coupe concept recently announced.
Old 02-09-10, 12:21 AM
LexFather

Everybody copies everybody. Toyota has been doing this forever....I give Hyundai credit for not being afraid to offer a V8 (where is Honda's), IRS on the Boreggo, a body on frame boreggo, interesting styling....and please tell how Hyundai copied Toyota with the Genesis Coupe?.....Didn't Toyota follow Hyundai with the Toyota coupe concept recently announced.
1. No one is saying Toyota doesn't copy or didn't copy a car. However, it is called the Toyota Production method b/c Toyota invented it. All cars are made with this method. Porsche, Hyundai etc have all copied this method? Why? It works!! So don't confuse copying a style or vehicle vs an entire method.
2. We have given Hyundai TONS of credit here. I personally reviewed the Borrego and liked it alot. Please do not pick and chose points made. This forum more than a lot of others has been pretty open to Hyundai.
3. No Toyota didn't copy Hyundai with the coming FT-86. It is the spiritual successor to the AE-86, which was out 25 years ago, when Hyundai was sellling craptastic Excels. The FT-86 is much smaller and execution seems to be different. That said, the Genesis coupe is superb in my book.

CAn u please edit your first page and add a link to the article. Thanks

Old 02-09-10, 12:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Is it a coincidence that in some ways the Genesis Coupe looks like a 7th gen Celica?

Like SICK said, the FT-86 is a spiritual successor to the AE-86, released over 20 years ago. If anything, Hyundai copied the AE-86 by offering a cheap, fun, RWD coupe.

And no, everyone does not copy everybody to the point that they follow the competition's every move, mimic their trim level designations, mimic features, options, and styling, work with the same suppliers, and use the exact same quality and production methods invented by and created by the competition.
Old 02-09-10, 12:39 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think in another 5 years or so most people will have their point of view changed if Hyundai/Kia can keep up.
Old 02-09-10, 12:41 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

1. No one is saying Toyota doesn't copy or didn't copy a car. However, it is called the Toyota Production method b/c Toyota invented it. All cars are made with this method. Porsche, Hyundai etc have all copied this method? Why? It works!! So don't confuse copying a style or vehicle vs an entire method.
I am not just talking styling, I also talking about trends and the auto market. Hyundai's don't always look like Toyotas. The new Sonata looks like a an ES while the inside looks like a Infiniti....

Hyundai has a IRS on their mid size body on frame vehicle before Toyota (excluding Sequoia which followed Ford), a v8 in their cars (no Toyota car has this), Hyundai followed the market ahead of Toyota by offering an iDrive like controller on their flagship, Hyundai will even a have turbo in their mid size sedan before Toyota.

As for the Genesis couple, Hyundai followed the other car companies in getting a RWD 2 door coupe into production....Toyota is following behind on this...Toyota's past is its past, right now they don't have a 2 door RWD coupe now do they?

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai better than Toyota and Honda? New models suggest yes