Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW 550i GT - $74,000 of "just useful"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 12:56 AM
Mercurycn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UGLY and UGly
Old 02-06-10, 01:48 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I haven't decided whether I like this or not.

Its seems that Honda and BMW have vehicles coming out on the opposite end of the price spectrum.

I do have to give both credit, they are trying something right now when many other manufacturers are sticking to the basics (didn't BMW invent the iDrive controller that is now in Merc, Audi and Hyundai.....still absent in the LS) Looks like BMW is on to something as Lexus has a concept out that is very similar

Is this Lexus' eventual response?

Old 02-06-10, 02:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lost their way a bit.
Old 02-06-10, 03:21 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

kinda reminds me of this in the fail thread...

Old 02-06-10, 04:55 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I really hated the X6 when it came out. But it has grown on me a lot. In fact, I don't mind owning one in black. They look really good.

On the other hand, the 5GT is still a complete fail.
Old 02-06-10, 05:19 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't be so quick to judge a car based on appearance. The 5 series GT is already a common sight in Stuttgart and I find that it looks neither pretty nor offensive in person. From certain angles I actually find it a little attractive, just a little. Sadly, the front isn't one of those angles. The rest of the car is fine from a design perspective in my opinion.

Aside from that, BMW wouldn't release such a car if there was no market for it. Car firms react to what their customers desire. BMW's target market is constantly changing, now more than ever, and thus BMW has to react to this change.

Perhaps the young men who bought 3 series sedans in the early '90s are now family fathers and their priorities have shifted from driving a sport sedan to a more family-oriented car that is spacious and also sporty - and a BMW. It's these people the 5er GT was most likely designed for.
Old 02-06-10, 07:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I haven't decided whether I like this or not.

Its seems that Honda and BMW have vehicles coming out on the opposite end of the price spectrum.

I do have to give both credit, they are trying something right now when many other manufacturers are sticking to the basics (didn't BMW invent the iDrive controller that is now in Merc, Audi and Hyundai.....still absent in the LS) Looks like BMW is on to something as Lexus has a concept out that is very similar

Is this Lexus' eventual response?

Not every thread must be a Lexus rant ignoring some basics.
1. The LF-X debuted in 2004, WAY before these vehicles.
2. They are not selling well, it is a niche market.
3 What does BMW bringing iDrive have anything to do with this? If you were fair you would state Remote Touch runs rings around it and every review has said so.
4. Who is sticking to the basics? Everyone has something different. BMW has this, Lexus has the LFA, Benz has the SLS or CLS, Audi has the R8.

Originally Posted by DustinV
I wouldn't be so quick to judge a car based on appearance. The 5 series GT is already a common sight in Stuttgart and I find that it looks neither pretty nor offensive in person. From certain angles I actually find it a little attractive, just a little. Sadly, the front isn't one of those angles. The rest of the car is fine from a design perspective in my opinion.

Aside from that, BMW wouldn't release such a car if there was no market for it. Car firms react to what their customers desire. BMW's target market is constantly changing, now more than ever, and thus BMW has to react to this change.

Perhaps the young men who bought 3 series sedans in the early '90s are now family fathers and their priorities have shifted from driving a sport sedan to a more family-oriented car that is spacious and also sporty - and a BMW. It's these people the 5er GT was most likely designed for.
Its ugly, period. Its ugly like a lot of ugly cars, there is no excuse or spin for it. Ugly is ugly. Some cars can be ugly subjectively and some are just pretty universally ugly.

This is the latter.

Old 02-06-10, 07:50 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$74,000 for that car just seems ridiculous to me. I can get a better more powerful Infiniti M56 for $56,000. I just don't see the $18k premium. When the next gen GS comes out it will slay that car. At that price point you will likely be able to buy a fully loaded GSF.
Old 02-06-10, 08:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think we will be seeing many on the road. For the money you could have an huge variety of cars that will provide equal comfort, luxury, and cutting edge features with out the ugly looks
Old 02-06-10, 08:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by batman75
When the next gen GS comes out it will slay that car. .

i wouldn't be so sure about that.

it's not in the Lexus DNA to slay anything.
middle of the road is their formula for standard models, and that's not gonna change anytime soon
Old 02-06-10, 09:56 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I guess I will be the odd man out. I attended the Philly Auto Show today and got a chance to check out the 550i GT. This thing does not photograph well at all. I originally found this car to be incredibly ugly, but its actually not that bad (nor is it great). I can see myself living with this design. A nice drop and rims would set this car off.

One thing is for sure though, this thing is no where near as ugly as the Porsche Panamera which is by far the ugliest hatchback-ish large sedan currently on the market. Its absolutely repulsive in person.

Camera phone pic I took.

Couple pics I just found on another forum. IMO, the rear of the car, above the tail lights needs some serious work. Plus, a blacked out grill wouldnt hurt either.

I feel like BMW is focusing on improving its interiors. I do not find this to be bad at all compared to the 1, 3, 6, and current 5 which IMO I think is trash.

Old 02-06-10, 09:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my dad wants one...

until he saw the price tag
Old 02-07-10, 07:43 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the pricetag is the most ridiculous part of this car, even over the styling. If it went from mid $40K to low $60K for the 550i GT, I think there would be more takers but this brings me to my next point:

BMW could barely ever sell a 5 series wagon which was nicer looking and had infinitely more utility, despite a smaller back seat. What makes them think they can sell this at a $20K premium when it's uglier and far less useful ?
Old 02-07-10, 07:56 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i wouldn't be so sure about that.

it's not in the Lexus DNA to slay anything.
middle of the road is their formula for standard models, and that's not gonna change anytime soon
utterly ridiculous.

Old 02-07-10, 09:59 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
I guess I will be the odd man out. I attended the Philly Auto Show today and got a chance to check out the 550i GT. This thing does not photograph well at all. I originally found this car to be incredibly ugly, but its actually not that bad (nor is it great). I can see myself living with this design. A nice drop and rims would set this car off.

Great pics! I will reserve judgment and wait till I see the car in person. I think I could live with it and the performance is outstanding.

I feel like BMW is focusing on improving its interiors. I do not find this to be bad at all compared to the 1, 3, 6, and current 5 which IMO I think is trash.

I agree with the interiors. I like this one and I have no problem with the current crop of interiors. BMW does a good job of making you feel like you are in a "BMW" and nothing else when you are in them.

Quick Reply: BMW 550i GT - $74,000 of "just useful"