Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Canadian pronunciation of Toyota Celica

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 09:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Canadian pronunciation of Toyota Celica

Canadian Toyota Celica Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-vA3HbXDk

Vintage Japanese Toyota Celica Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDguvZcIX14

1983 Toyota Celica USA Commercal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df_fVpNfmpo

1987 Japanese Toyota Celica:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9sQ5BzV-M

Toyota Celica Commercial with Eddie Murphy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBmO01r9nF4

I've always wondered this for many years, but why do Canadians call the Celica...the "Ce-LI-ca". Why is there so much emphasis on the "LI" in Celica. It's pronounced "Cel-ica" worldwide. LOL
Old 02-02-10, 09:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's due to what you could call phonetic or dialect differences in Canadian English compared to English in other countries.
Old 02-02-10, 10:02 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

We are closer to the Queens English, while the rest of the world tends to be further differentiated from the UK.

However, with the popularity of Hollywood, more reagions are picking up that version of English.

edit: ex: do you call it a Pree-us or a Prii-us?

Last edited by Faymester; 02-02-10 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 10:08 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I read it as " Canadian announced production of Toyota Celica". I must be tired.
Old 02-03-10, 01:44 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ i sorta saw something similar.

i pronounce it the american way/japanese way.

i say pree-us.

i only find it annoying when people try to dress words up. like saying tar-jay for target. ess-kill-laud instead of es-kill-aid. or buick ray-gal instead of buick ree-gull.
Old 02-03-10, 01:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Faymester
edit: ex: do you call it a Pree-us or a Prii-us?

"Pre-us"

Toyota Prius Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7vI-L4Lfmc
Old 02-03-10, 03:55 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Canadian Toyota Celica Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v-vA3HbXDk

Vintage Japanese Toyota Celica Commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDguvZcIX14

1983 Toyota Celica USA Commercal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df_fVpNfmpo

1987 Japanese Toyota Celica:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9sQ5BzV-M

Toyota Celica Commercial with Eddie Murphy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBmO01r9nF4

I've always wondered this for many years, but why do Canadians call the Celica...the "Ce-LI-ca". Why is there so much emphasis on the "LI" in Celica. It's pronounced "Cel-ica" worldwide. LOL
I'm not sure what you mean by this - by the standard rules of English pronunciation the Canadians are saying Celica correctly. If it were to be pronounced "Cel-ica" it would be spelt "Cellica".

As for pronunciation worldwide; in the UK it is pronounced "Ce-Li-ca", and this is the way Toyota UK pronounce it. It is also pronounced this way in Australia and New Zealand, Germany and, in my experience, Spain. I'm not sure on Japan but I have friends who lived there and imported one into the UK and they pronounced it "Ce-Li-ca".

Similarly, adopting standard rules, the correct pronunciation of "Prius" would be "Prii-us" - to rhyme with "Pious". Pretty apt I thought.
Old 02-03-10, 04:07 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I'm not sure what you mean by this - by the standard rules of English pronunciation the Canadians are saying Celica correctly. If it were to be pronounced "Cel-ica" it would be spelt "Cellica".

As for pronunciation worldwide; in the UK it is pronounced "Ce-Li-ca", and this is the way Toyota UK pronounce it. It is also pronounced this way in Australia and New Zealand, Germany and, in my experience, Spain. I'm not sure on Japan but I have friends who lived there and imported one into the UK and they pronounced it "Ce-Li-ca".

Similarly, adopting standard rules, the correct pronunciation of "Prius" would be "Prii-us" - to rhyme with "Pious". Pretty apt I thought.
That's what I meant to say, but you explained it very well in those words .
Old 02-03-10, 04:35 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

As for pronunciation worldwide; in the UK it is pronounced "Ce-Li-ca", and this is the way Toyota UK pronounce it. It is also pronounced this way in Australia and New Zealand, Germany and, in my experience, Spain.

I'm not sure on Japan but I have friends who lived there and imported one into the UK and they pronounced it "Ce-Li-ca".

Wikipedia's definition:
The Toyota Celica name (pronounced /ˈsɛlɨkə/) has been applied to a series of popular coupes made by the Japanese company Toyota. The name is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning "heavenly" or "celestial"

Fair enough. I am no English language expert of any sort, but the UK is not the worldwide standard. There are many regional dialects that deviate from the proper British English rules.

Celica is a name selected by a Japanese company...and a word with latin roots. They pronounce it as "Sel-ica". Watch the Japanese Celica commercials in the links I provided and feel free to search the other Youtube videos with the older Japanese Celica commercials. It's pronounced as how it looks.

If "se-li-ca" it is, there should have been two E's rather than one I after the L. English is a funny language. There are so many variations and contradictions in the rules.

Aluminum is pronounced ah-lu-mi-num not Alu-min-ium. There's no extra letter "I" in that word. And for us Americans, it's center not centre. I before E, except after C. LOL
Old 02-03-10, 06:40 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Wikipedia's definition:
The Toyota Celica name (pronounced /ˈsɛlɨkə/) has been applied to a series of popular coupes made by the Japanese company Toyota. The name is ultimately derived from the Latin word coelica meaning "heavenly" or "celestial"

Fair enough. I am no English language expert of any sort, but the UK is not the worldwide standard. There are many regional dialects that deviate from the proper British English rules.

Celica is a name selected by a Japanese company...and a word with latin roots. They pronounce it as "Sel-ica". Watch the Japanese Celica commercials in the links I provided and feel free to search the other Youtube videos with the older Japanese Celica commercials. It's pronounced as how it looks.

If "se-li-ca" it is, there should have been two E's rather than one I after the L. English is a funny language. There are so many variations and contradictions in the rules.

Aluminum is pronounced ah-lu-mi-num not Alu-min-ium. There's no extra letter "I" in that word. And for us Americans, it's center not centre. I before E, except after C. LOL
Well seeing as the English language originated in England.............

Old 02-03-10, 06:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Wikipedia's definition:

Some people in Canada pronounce it as Alu-min-ium, go figure lol.
Old 02-03-10, 10:00 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Er, no. It could have two "e's" but the general rule is that only a double "l" would shorten the following vowel to give the pronunciation Cel-ica that you want. A single "l" leaves the vowel long and gives the Ce-li-ca that we pronounce. To be fair I don't think any of us need to take pronunciation lessons in Engrish from the Japanese.

Don't lets get started on this one. We spell it aluminium and pronounce it alu-min-ium, however the history is interesting and this is one case where the US spelling and pronunciation is technically correct. Originally called aluminum it was changed to ium on the end to fall into line with other recently discovered elements at the time e.g potassium, sodium, magnesium etc.

(And center is just centre for the illiterate)

I will now sit back and await incoming...

(And center is just
Old 02-03-10, 10:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Er, no. It could have two "e's" but the general rule is that only a double "l" would shorten the following vowel to give the pronunciation Cel-ica that you want. A single "l" leaves the vowel long and gives the Ce-li-ca that we pronounce. To be fair I don't think any of us need to take pronunciation lessons in Engrish from the Japanese.
So the word deliberate under those terms would be pronounced "de-LEE-berate"? I sounds like E and E sounds like I. Oh boy.

Don't lets get started on this one. We spell it aluminium and pronounce it alu-min-ium, however the history is interesting and this is one case where the US spelling and pronunciation is technically correct. Originally called aluminum it was changed to ium on the end to fall into line with other recently discovered elements at the time e.g potassium, sodium, magnesium etc.[/url]

(And center is just centre for the illiterate)

I will now sit back and await incoming...
Centre....looks like it should be pronounced "sen-TREE" as opposed to "sen-TER".

See changes were made after the original word for Aluminum was produced. We didn't change it or need to. But that's a pretty good story of why it's pronounced with an "ium".

You callin' us Yanks illiterate? LOL
Old 02-03-10, 10:38 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought in the Western areas of Canada the spoke English more like it's spoken in the U.S. and the further east went the more it differentiated?
Old 02-03-10, 10:58 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I thought in the Western areas of Canada the spoke English more like it's spoken in the U.S. and the further east went the more it differentiated?
Some of them even speak French - it's madness I say!

Quick Reply: Canadian pronunciation of Toyota Celica