Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has Anyone Owned or Driven The MB CLS550

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 04:59 AM
dwiall
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has Anyone Owned or Driven The MB CLS550

I have been looking at an 08 CLS550 and was wondering what peoples' experience has been with MB. I am not familiar with MB's reliabiliy and do not want a car that will drain me. I see quit a few of you have switched from, or still own BMW, Infinities and MB's and wondering what you think and why you switched or still own both.

This is not a bash on Lexus, but maybe the GS is not for me.

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-25-10, 05:02 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ive never driven one but my boss just picked one up and he loves it. no problems so far.
Old 01-25-10, 05:13 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dwiall
I have been looking at an 08 CLS550 and was wondering what peoples' experience has been with MB. I am not familiar with MB's reliabiliy and do not want a car that will drain me. I see quit a few of you have switched from, or still own BMW, Infinities and MB's and wondering what you think and why you switched or still own both.

This is not a bash on Lexus, but maybe the GS is not for me.

Thanks
Dave
I had a CL55 AMG. I LOVED the car. But I will now bow down to anyone who can afford to keep this car up. This is an extremely expensive car to maintain. I went into the MB dealership to ask about switching the phone from analog to digital. And then putting on staggered tires/rims just on the front. $7500!!!!!!!!!!! And the salesman used the word 'only' in there.
I would hate to see what any maintenance would cost.
I thanked him for his time and drove right over to the Lexus dealership and traded it in. I had my beautiful AMG for only 6 weeks. Didn't even make a payment on it yet. That's how much it scared me!
Old 01-25-10, 05:31 AM
dwiall
Driver

Originally Posted by Luvmy350
I had a CL55 AMG. I LOVED the car. But I will now bow down to anyone who can afford to keep this car up. This is an extremely expensive car to maintain. I went into the MB dealership to ask about switching the phone from analog to digital. And then putting on staggered tires/rims just on the front. $7500!!!!!!!!!!! And the salesman used the word 'only' in there.
I thanked him for his time and drove right over to the Lexus dealership and traded it in. I had my beautiful AMG for only 6 weeks. Didn't even make a payment on it yet. That's how much it scared me!
What is staggered tires/rims. Is this something special or exotic? $7500, I don't get it.
Old 01-25-10, 05:35 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

What is staggered tires/rims. Is this something special or exotic? $7500, I don't get it.
Staggered just means that they are smaller in the front than the back. I'm guessing because it's RWD.
They wanted, $2500 to change the phone out and $5 grand to change the front tires and rims to a little smaller size. I was running 20's all the way around and he suggested going 19's in the front. They were Asanti-looking wheels, not the real thing, and still this expensive. Still love the MB, but it's just too expensive.....for me anyway.
Old 01-25-10, 05:47 AM
dwiall
Driver

Staggered just means that they are smaller in the front than the back. I'm guessing because it's RWD.
They wanted, $2500 to change the phone out and $5 grand to change the front tires and rims to a little smaller size. I was running 20's all the way around and he suggested going 19's in the front. They were Asanti-looking wheels, not the real thing, and still this expensive. Still love the MB, but it's just too expensive.....for me anyway.
Thanks for the explanation. Your experience is exactly what I am afraid of with MB. How would you rate the ride quality, noise and interior quality compared to the GS.

Note; I do understand that this is basically a 100k car compared to 50k and would expect it all to be better, but who knows, never been in any MB.
Old 01-25-10, 06:06 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I drive the CLS550 I think this car is very out of date. GS is old, but CLS feels much older. If I was going to Benz, I would get the new E550 sport. It's a much better car, at least until the new CLS550 comes out.
Old 01-25-10, 06:13 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old in what way? Interior/Exterior what?
I dare say your stretch it a bit.
I previously own a CL and currently own a CLS. A CLS is a lot cheaper to own than a CL. Honestly a CL is a level above the CLS in every way except sport. My CLS hasn't given me much trouble at all. I definitely don't regret my purchase. I just wish the car had bigger cup holders. Ha ha

On the real it's not too many cars in the current market more beautiful than a CLS. In white the car is gorgeous.

Last edited by rogers2; 01-25-10 at 06:18 AM. Reason: needed more info
Old 01-25-10, 06:16 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Thanks for the explanation. Your experience is exactly what I am afraid of with MB. How would you rate the ride quality, noise and interior quality compared to the GS.

Note; I do understand that this is basically a 100k car compared to 50k and would expect it all to be better, but who knows, never been in any MB.
Honestly, I loved the quietness of my AMG. Much better than my GS. The ride quality, also better. Interior..a little better. But again, if the car breaks down, no matter how much quieter and better the interior is, I couldn't afford to fix it. I will sacrifice some things for reliability. And that is Lexus.
Plus the body styles are hands down on the MB vs Lexus. Hate to even admit that one.
Old 01-25-10, 07:21 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
Old in what way? Interior/Exterior what?
I dare say your stretch it a bit.
I previously own a CL and currently own a CLS. A CLS is a lot cheaper to own than a CL. Honestly a CL is a level above the CLS in every way except sport. My CLS hasn't given me much trouble at all. I definitely don't regret my purchase. I just wish the car had bigger cup holders. Ha ha

On the real it's not too many cars in the current market more beautiful than a CLS. In white the car is gorgeous.
Interior styling feels old. The command module in particular with those large plastic switches looks old. The new E-class has smaller sharper looking switches with a lot of metal and more refined soft-touch materials. The interior also seems old relative to the GS (while I concede both are out of date.

Also the CLS550 powertrain doesn't feel nearly as refined as the GS460s with the 8 speed and the very very smooth V8.
Old 01-25-10, 07:39 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

just curious but why would you go thru the dealer for wheels? they will rape you on charges.
Old 01-25-10, 07:52 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
just curious but why would you go thru the dealer for wheels? they will rape you on charges.
For absolute convienance. I'm alone, I can't sit and wait for someone to help find wheels, I didn't have anyone I trust to mount and put them on....I could go on but I think you understand. I know dealers rape you. But I can't hire someone off the street to help me. Although there is this one guy that stands near an expressway with a sign......
Old 01-25-10, 07:57 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

best thing to do is just browse the internet on wheel sites and just browse the wheels. you dont need anyone to help you with that, just some free time. there has to be a wheel shop near you or even a tire place that can mount, balance and install them for you for 1/4 of the price the dealer would charge you.
Old 01-25-10, 08:03 AM
Luvmy350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
best thing to do is just browse the internet on wheel sites and just browse the wheels. you dont need anyone to help you with that, just some free time. there has to be a wheel shop near you or even a tire place that can mount, balance and install them for you for 1/4 of the price the dealer would charge you.
I actually have a friend who sells them but he's not close. So that's 1 day of taking up my time, then to get them mounted and balanced, yes, I have a friend who owns a shop, another day. I only have the weekend off, both those places are closed on Sunday so now I'm going into 2 weeks of battling wheels. Yea, I know, I'm whining. But I'm a female and I'm allowed to do that. And my 14 year old is my other full time job...that's the only reason I did what I did. Will I do that to my 2010 RX when it comes time for wheels? Nope. I will do what you said. But maybe take a day off of work to get it done, however.
Old 01-25-10, 08:59 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Priceless..gave me a chuckle. this is why I didn't get an MB either.. I was looking at gettng a used R350. For what ever reason they are also proned to electrical issues.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Owned or Driven The MB CLS550