Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 06:10 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real question in my mind is where does the SC go from here?

Should it evolve into a 2 seater Roadster, or should it be a grand touring Coupe/Convertible?

Last edited by (Cj); 01-22-10 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-22-10, 06:19 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm not sure, but it's one idea. And as another mentioned, if Jag and others can make a $75k+ coupe work, so could Lexus. There are many posibilities. I look back on the first SC and it's raging success, wishng Lexus kept the second gen more affordable and with a V6 option.
Lexus doesn't need to make a V6 SC!!! The IS-C takes that position in the lineup

SC is and always will be one of Lexus's flagship products. It needs to move UPMARKET not down. It doesn't need to be a sales success since it'll probably always be on 10 year model cycles.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not so sure we will see another SC for a while. The SC430 was the perfect car for 2002-2008....people were making lots of money...everything has changed, Lexus has become considerably less prestigous than before. Lexus has carefully moved most of its lineup to a starting price of less than $50k. A new SC if built the traditional way (V8 engines, overdone interior, etc) will start at $75k...there just is no market for a car like the SC.
The last gen SC never was huge sales success, and the next gen probably won't be either. The SC and cars like it are all about prestige. That's why I'm sure there will be a next generation.

One thing that will help the next gen, though is the halo of the LFA. That's one element that the last generation didn't have. With the LFA halo, all of the filthy rich people that couldn't get an LFA because they weren't one of the 500 chosen or they couldn't fork over $400K, will buy the SC. Well at least that would be the ideal scenario, but even so I think the new SC will do well.
Old 01-22-10, 08:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The real question in my mind is where does the SC go from here?

Should it evolve into a 2 seater Roadster, or should it be a grand touring Coupe/Convertible?

i am not sure if the name sc itself is good enough. that's why i said it's probably better to create a new model for that segment down the road
Old 01-22-10, 09:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not sure if the name sc itself is good enough. that's why i said it's probably better to create a new model for that segment down the road
You may be right, but there's no other place for the next SC to go but up. The IS-C takes the last gens SC's place and it does it for $25K less.

I don't know if Lexus will be able to take out the back seats and go straight after the Mercedes SL (pictured in above post). That may be too much of a leap, but they may be able to go after grand touring convertibles like the Jaguar XK (also pictured above).

The Jaguar XK is plush (just like the last gen SC) and it's a performer (in keeping with Lexus's new performance aspirations). It's about the size of the GS (6 inches longer than the current SC), and it's very powerful.

An SC that was along those lines could be successful and appeal to old and new buyers.

Last edited by (Cj); 01-22-10 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-22-10, 10:32 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

You may be right, but there's no other place for the next SC to go but up. The IS-C takes the last gens SC's place and it does it for $25K less.

I don't know if Lexus will be able to take out the back seats and go straight after the Mercedes SL (pictured in above post). That may be too much of a leap, but they may be able to go after grand touring convertibles like the Jaguar XK (also pictured above).

The Jaguar XK is plush (just like the last gen SC) and it's a performer (in keeping with Lexus's new performance aspirations). It's about the size of the GS (6 inches longer than the current SC), and it's very powerful.

An SC that was along those lines could be successful and appeal to old and new buyers.

Agreed.

Plush Grand Tourer for ~$75K and a cracking SC F for around $120-150k.
Even thought the LFA exists, the SC is still it's (Lexus') crown jewel.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
And that is my point exactly about Lexus being less prestigous than in the past.
Say whaaaa? Come again?
Old 01-22-10, 10:36 AM
LexFather

FYI the Benz SL has a V-6 but it is for Europe, not here. Who knows, it might come here.

O.Gs will remember but a looooooooong time ago we had a rumor from Lexus a SC 330 or so was coming. It even made our homepage. Clearly that didn't happen.

As I've reported the issue internally is where to take the SC? Keep it as a true GT, make it bigger like a CL or make it more sport focused.

I want people to not just remember the SC today but what it did for Lexus in 2002.....when it was shown in Tokyo...6,000 deposits were made. The SC was NEVER a volume car. It sold out its first 2 years and sold well until recently.

The SC was the RIGHT CAR for the TIME. As time passed, its time passed. It brought a new owner to Lexus and elevated the brand. It even made the cover of C&D.

What other Japanese luxury brand had a luxury convertible then? They still have yet to make a luxurious V-8 one.

A lot of people hate the SC 430 for styling (fair) and how it drove (fair). Most of these people ignore the cars intended purpose and its successes.

Old 01-22-10, 10:38 AM
LexFather

I like the JAG XK but
1. Its a softtop
2. It doesn't sell much better when I had the last report on Jag sales

Since I am a HUGE fan of the XK, would I love to see a Lexus SC in that mold.

You are 100% correct, including a SC-F to battle the XK-R.

So CJ and MR FI, you are BOTH on to something there!

Old 01-22-10, 10:56 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Agreed.

Plush Grand Tourer for ~$75K and a cracking SC F for around $120-150k.
Even thought the LFA exists, the SC is still it's (Lexus') crown jewel.
Yup, but the base model doesn't have to be a boat .

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As I've reported the issue internally is where to take the SC? Keep it as a true GT, make it bigger like a CL or make it more sport focused.
Where to take the SC really is a tricky thing. Should they make it a smaller (~180 inch long) 2 seater roadster, should they make a bigger (~200 inch long) CL coupe? Well the CL is far too expensive for Lexus to compete with (it's $110K ), and the former SC buyers won't be pleased with an SL type 2 seater.

Best compromise is a ~190 inch long Coupe and Roadster, ala Jaguar XK. That's the closest thing to what the 2g SC was in plushness, and what the 1g was in performance/handling. Base it on the next gen GS platform, put the ISF's 5.0L engine in it, and make it ~3500lbs and it would be a winner. It could be offered in Coupe, and softtop Roadster forms, and if the interior is as refined and plush as the last gens it'll be an excellent vehicle for luxury buyers.
Old 01-22-10, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

fwiw the sc430 has never been really targeted as a performance vehicle (street version), it's more of a luxury cruiser. so i don't think it should be in the same league as the sl or such cars

there is isc now to cover the lower end, the new sc can still safely capture the 60-70k market. and then there can be another model in the 100k market. i just think of it as the sedan version. the sc is together with the gs. just like how the 6 is together with the 5
Old 01-22-10, 11:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking we will see an IS coupe and convertible, GS coupe and convertible, and an SC somewhere along the lines of the SL.

Just my .02
Old 01-22-10, 11:42 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Sad to see it discontinued but hopeful replacement are work in progress or drawing board.
Old 01-22-10, 11:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ What????
Old 01-22-10, 11:48 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am thinking we will see an IS coupe and convertible, GS coupe and convertible, and an SC somewhere along the lines of the SL.

Just my .02
I was thinking that too at one point, but I'm not sure if Lexus is going to make a GS coupe. If they do make a GS coupe then the SC would HAVE to be a performance roadster. No other segment for it to go to
Old 01-22-10, 11:51 AM
LexFather

Seriously...I could so rock a XK...if Lexus made the SC similar...I would be so happy...

Old 01-22-10, 11:58 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seriously...I could so rock a XK...if Lexus made the SC similar...I would be so happy...
I know right? That would be on the list for my next car. That or the next gen GSh

Quick Reply: Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed