Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to recall 43000 cars in China

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 07:34 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota to recall 43000 cars in China

http://sify.com/news/toyota-to-recal...zskeebbac.html

It just can't get any worse for Toyota these days. Lexus models are in this recall.

Toyota Motor Corp has announced the recall of about 43,000 cars in China because a defect might cause engine oil to leak, media reports said Friday.

The cars were all manufactured in Japan, the Nikkei economic daily said. The four models affected are the Lexus ES 350, the Lexus RX 350, the Previa minivan and the Highlander sports utility vehicle.

In its announcement Thursday, Toyota said it would start to fix the problem Dec 30.

According to Toyota, similar problems may also occur in Japan, so the automaker reported to the government in November that it would voluntarily upgrade a fuel pipe, the daily Yomiuri said Friday.

Toyota's announcement came just months after the Japanese automaker's biggest recall in China, affecting nearly 700,000 vehicles
Old 12-25-09, 07:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hmmm, i wonder what differentiates those RX and ES models from the ones being sold in the US or any other part of the world
Old 12-25-09, 09:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

good question
Old 12-25-09, 09:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
hmmm, i wonder what differentiates those RX and ES models from the ones being sold in the US or any other part of the world
Originally Posted by 18ABMR
good question
Not necessarily It doesn't have to be a difference in basic design. Since it involves a possible oil leak, it could be something simple at the Chinese plant where an oil filter, drain plug, or valve-cover bolts/gaskets were not tightened down quite enough. Or maybe the little washer for the drain plug was accidentally left off. Many vehicles today are assembled by computerized robots, and one might not have quite enough torque-tightening programmed into it. Just because you get the plants perfect in one country doesn't mean that they're set up correctly everywhere.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-09 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-25-09, 09:53 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Lots of bad press for Toyota these days...Hope things will be looking better for them soon.
Old 12-26-09, 01:04 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not necessarily It doesn't have to be a difference in basic design. Since it involves a possible oil leak, it could be something simple at the Chinese plant where an oil filter, drain plug, or valve-cover bolts/gaskets were not tightened down quite enough. Or maybe the little washer for the drain plug was accidentally left off. Many vehicles today are assembled by computerized robots, and one might not have quite enough torque-tightening programmed into it. Just because you get the plants perfect in one country doesn't mean that they're set up correctly everywhere.
Looks like this isssue is a 3.5 litre engine issue. It could really be anything but there is no doubt it was a full batch of 3.5 litre engines. I believe these were coming out of Japan
Old 12-26-09, 01:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Toyota better have some recalls considering how many cars/trucks they sell. It's all within the norms when you have high volumes. For ever recalled vehicle, there are a trillion other non-recalled models and happy customers. Got to remember who Toyota is and how many are on the road.
Old 12-26-09, 05:30 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Toyota better have some recalls considering how many cars/trucks they sell. It's all within the norms when you have high volumes. For ever recalled vehicle, there are a trillion other non-recalled models and happy customers. Got to remember who Toyota is and how many are on the road.
Yeah right because Toyota sells trillions and trillions of vehicles.

What is fact is this. Toyota is recalling 4 miilion vehicles in NA from the last 5 years. That accounts for about 1 out of every 2 Toyota/Lexus' sold in NA in the last 5 years. .
Old 12-26-09, 05:40 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just recieved a recall letter for a variable valve timing (VVT-i)oil hose replacement on our RX 350.
Same part recall in China?

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-26-09 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-26-09, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

better lawyers? or harsher punishments for non-disclosure there?
Old 12-26-09, 06:50 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

My reply to another post which I agree with on this issue as well
Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Example:

Hi My name is Jack:
I'm a recall coordinator for Toyota. My job is to apply the formula.
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 miles per hour. The rear differential locks up.
The car crushes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now: do we initiate a recall?
Take the number of vehicles in the field (A), multiply it by the probable rate of failure (B), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement (C). A times B times C equals X...
.........................If X is less that the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Old 12-26-09, 09:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Yeah right because Toyota sells trillions and trillions of vehicles.

What is fact is this. Toyota is recalling 4 miilion vehicles in NA from the last 5 years. That accounts for about 1 out of every 2 Toyota/Lexus' sold in NA in the last 5 years. .
engine issue is real problem, gas pedal not so much.... lets hope in the future, Toyota will have less engine issues such as this one.
Old 12-26-09, 11:48 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
yeah i think these cars were coming out of Japan, which means it could (and does) affect US cars as well.
Old 12-26-09, 02:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

yeah i think these cars were coming out of Japan, which means it could (and does) affect US cars as well.
i believe it is recall that is being done in US as well, as noted few post above with Joe...