Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LF-Ch news: RWD, US, India

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 12:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMO, if the LF-Ch keeps its current styling, it could be a good product for Europe, Asia, and a possible niche model for Canada and the US. I would've liked to see them apply a similar styling treatment to the HS, giving it more separation vs econoboxes.

In any case, the LF-Ch is definitely a Euro-style interpretation of luxury, small and well-appointed, not cheap. There may be a difference in the LF-Ch/CT 300h product vs. some other downmarket MB/BMW models that have come here and been discontinued. As Mark Templin stated recently:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...pany-exec.html

In an interview with TheDetroitBureau, Lexus General Manager Mark Templin said that if response is favorable, then a production model could see dealerships by as early as 2012. A model based on the LF-Ch is already confirmed for European Lexus dealerships for 2011.

Templin also said that while the car would be premium and come with plenty of high-tech goodies, it would not be cheap. He pointed to a more European-style buyer that is emerging in North America, that doesn’t necessarily equate luxury with size. He even said that in the future Lexus would look at even smaller luxury cars, but ones priced beyond the ES or IS.

Word hat the LF-Ch would become a production reality in the U.S. first emerged when it was confirmed that Lexus has registered the CT200h name – which presumably stands for a compact touring (read wagon or hatchback) model with roughly 200-hp and a hybrid setup . Surprisingly, however, Templin said that despite the focus on a hybrid model, it is likely the car would launch with a conventional gasoline engine.
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009...ssibly-sooner/

“There is a group of buyers growing up now who won’t buy cars by the pound,” noted Templin, adding that, “We have already seen a structural shift” to the smaller and lower-priced segments of the luxury market over the last couple years.

The so-called Premium Luxury segments have been especially hard-hit by the recession, analysts offering a variety of suggestions why, including the possibility the most affluent buyers don’t want to be seen flaunting their wealth at a time when their companies may be cutting back. But it also appears that even those who don’t worry about appearances may simply be finding smaller vehicles more attractive.

So, said Templin, “Going forward, there may be a need for even smaller luxury cars,” but they won’t necessarily be targeting the budget-constrained “entry-luxury” buyer that today goes for such Lexus models as the ES and IS lines.

“We’re not going to build a smaller vehicle with all that technology (found in the likes of a top-line LS sedan) and knock the price down,” the executive stressed. “Just because it’s small doesn’t mean cheap.”
As for Lexus' impending launch in India, unfortunately it's been delayed but with the global recession just starting to abate, and the significant startup cost for that country, I think it makes sense to wait a bit. Analysts have noted that Japanese automakers have shifted their present focus away from the high-end market.
Old 12-07-09, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Well clearly the A3 and 1 series are called "premium" entry level hatches or what now. In Europe there is demand for it. Here I just don't see too many people lining up for it.

Unless Lexus with their smart selves is gambling that gas will go back up and this vehicle makes sense.

Also from an "EPA" standpoint, this car makes sense to it helps raise the Lexus/Toyota corporate average up in regards to MPG.

Old 12-07-09, 02:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well clearly the A3 and 1 series are called "premium" entry level hatches or what now. In Europe there is demand for it. Here I just don't see too many people lining up for it.

Unless Lexus with their smart selves is gambling that gas will go back up and this vehicle makes sense.

Also from an "EPA" standpoint, this car makes sense to it helps raise the Lexus/Toyota corporate average up in regards to MPG.
it kind of works together - if there are not many people buying them, then they wont raise CAFE numbers... besides, it wont be any more efficient than HS250h.
Old 12-07-09, 02:48 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wait... no lexus in india?? Pretty funny - considering almost every indian I know drives a lexus ... including ME lol

Mercedes is pretty popular there... cant wait to see what happens when lexus hits the scene
Old 12-07-09, 03:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
wait... no lexus in india?? Pretty funny - considering almost every indian I know drives a lexus ... including ME lol

Mercedes is pretty popular there... cant wait to see what happens when lexus hits the scene
mostly because Lexus requires dealers to invest heavily and there is no money for that right now
Old 12-07-09, 05:34 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
if you ask me, i still can't understand the concept of a compact luxury car?!
Come to Canada .

We do appreciate compact luxury cars - CSX and B-Class come to mind.

For the affluent, they could use one of those as their sons'/daughters' car. A B-Class isn't that powerful in stock trim (134hp. 194 for the turbo). The CSX is 155hp too and is basically a Civic.

Better than having them drive a 3 series or an A4 to school haha.

The B-Class is very slick. It's roomy, you sit high up, tons of cargo space (And fold flat seats), 5-spd for the B200 and 6-spd for the B200 Turbo. It's "safer" for new drivers because it's FWD and it's cheap (Cdn$30k or about the price of a base Camry XLE or Accord EX-L 4 cylinder or a fully loaded CSX Technology Package or a RAV4 Sport 4WD 4-cylinder).
Old 12-07-09, 06:13 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I like the LF-Ch even better now that it is going to be RWD.
Old 12-07-09, 06:41 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Templin also said that while the car would be premium and come with plenty of high-tech goodies, it would not be cheap. He pointed to a more European-style buyer that is emerging in North America, that doesn’t necessarily equate luxury with size. He even said that in the future Lexus would look at even smaller luxury cars, but ones priced beyond the ES or IS.
Sounds like coupes and roadsters to me .
Old 12-07-09, 06:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
Wow, I like the LF-Ch even better now that it is going to be RWD.
not so sure that it has been confirmed... for some obvious reasons i would say it will be FWD, but who the heck knows.

Only problem i have with lexus brand in general is poor packaging compared to Toyota's. A lot of it is due to FWD vs RWD, but honestly, in car like this, in europe and asia, packaging is very important. Dont give us car that iQ has more space compared to.
Old 12-07-09, 07:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Lexus hatchback
Old 12-08-09, 06:44 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Lexus hatchback

Already been done. Executed not so well but the LF-Ch looks awesome.
Old 12-08-09, 08:34 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma

Already been done. Executed not so well but the LF-Ch looks awesome.
That was a wagon..........
Old 12-08-09, 08:44 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
That was a wagon..........
And what makes the LF-Ch a hatchback and not a wagon?
Old 12-08-09, 08:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Lexus hatchback
different parts of world have different requirements... unless Lexus adopts, it will never be big outside USA, as its lineup has been designed for USA.
Old 12-08-09, 10:05 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I kind of like the car, would like it more if its RWD/AWD, however, I don't like it as a Lexus. I don't like the HS as a Lexus for FWIW either. I think this is another step into that entry level luxury segment which a few here have already stated might work well in Europe but probably not in that States.

Quick Reply: LF-Ch news: RWD, US, India