Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What are the costs associated with owning a Maserati?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 11:01 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Why was this thread brought back?

and off topic, but what happened to FisForFast? havent seen him at all lately after he said he was getting a koenissesg (sp?)
He was banned for being a fraud masquerading around the forums as though he's some 19 year old successful businessman with various interests in kazakhstan, dubai, and so forth, when in fact he's nothing of the sort. Apparently he drives a Chevrolet Avalanche - far cry from the suite of exotics he had listed in his signature (CCX, R8, and so on) and he's pretty much a typical 19 year old kid.

His fake internet persona sounded a lot like a villain from a James Bond movie

Here was his final private message to one of the forum moderators where he tried to play it off as though lying about everything was his plan from the start:

"I wanted to test how far this could go. The waiting list for a Koenigsegg is almost 5 years... I'm surprised people caught on for so long. It was just a matter of time before the armchair investigators chimed in. I'm still surprised at how far things like these can go... as if people who buy 1.2 million dollar cars are regulars on a Lexus forum. I don't have that kind of money lmao and probably never will. " - FistforFast
Old 06-06-10, 11:14 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redvettx2
Continue to drive your boring cars and keep sending your money to Toyota.
You all have been drinking the Kool-Aid.

The cost of maintaining a Maserati can be the same as what you are driving.
It just depends where you get it serviced, what you are starting with and how you treat your vehicle. I have owned many different cars and I hesitated
to before buying a Maserati. When I found out Ferrari Motor, Ferrari Transmissioni in my cars case Ferrari Built. I did my home work. The CC clutch can be and issue. I think most has to do with how the cars was treated etc. Lots of guys replaced there clutchs and get 30K out of them.
Full clutch Job can be 5k to 6K. Usually more like half as you normally do not need everythig replaced unless it was totally trashed. Do your home work on what you by. If you take it to a Ferrari/Maserati Dealer you are going to pay a premium. Find a good local independent and you will pay less then half and get great service. Plenty of info on line for owners on help, service ,etc.

I bought over a year ago a 2005 Maserati GT Coupe with 10K on it. Gergio Alferi over Bourdeaux with a full leather head liner. Car was about perfect and owned for 2 years and 1000 miles by an 81 year old man who always wanted a Maserati.It was in Maine(Me Seattle) and was purchased by a man wanting to buy a F430 and bought this and waiting 2 years for his Ferrari. I saw all the records and bought the car without a PPI which is a big risk. I alked to the dealer where it had been bought and serviced and saw all the records on the car. Still not see much action I had it shipped to WA.

My fathers response. What are you crazy you should have just bought another nice Lexus. Ya I could off and in 5 years it woudl be worth 20K
and a borinig life it my be. I spent under 40K on the car and after shipping
and Larini Exhaust I have maybe 43K into the car. I chose the GT because it has a true 6 Speed. Not the best in the business but once you know it now problems. Become one with your car. I do not like the F-1 tranny's. Yes they are faster at the track. But if you want a computer taking all the fun from you go for it. I could live with the one on the Ferrari 430 Scud but I will only by Manual 6 speeds. Tried the new Lambo E-Gear- Lame. Just get a stick and row the gears yourself.

So what do I have. 400HP, best sounding exhaust for V-8, Fab leather interior-"More cows give up ther live for the interior of a Maserati then any other car", and a long range GT car that is rare(See Ferrari and Lambos- 5 to 1), Very fast, exclusive and cheap to run and own.

I have put 9K on the car in its first year. It si not my daily driver but for under 30K you can buy good cars today. I did the Major 17,500 service last month. At Ferrari it woudl have been 1800. I took mine to Alfa of Tacoma and Carlo who knows these cars inside and out did the whole thing for around $800. Cheap in my book. Take your Lexus in and ask them for a complete fluid change. You will be hard pressed to leave for less then $800

Do the Math- Oil CHange with Syn-$90 - Maserati takes 3 gallons at least 200
Radiator Flush and Fill-$179.99
Brake Flush and refill- $149.99
Tranny Flush and Fill-$189.99
Rear End Drain and Flush-$119.99
Grease, Inspect and Sevice-$199.99

I bet you will pay more as Lexus is more than these rates I would bet.
I put a set of new Verdstien Tires on her for $800 last fall.

These cars are built very well and like to be run. Drive around in the US they are barely working. Designed to run at 100 to 120 all day long. 4th gear is 130
in my car. It is a detuned Ferrari Motor. 390HP Stock- Mine is 400 + with intake and exhaust. Maserati uses chains instead of the Ferrari Belts. Result is less HP but not the expensive belt replacement. Maserati requires a valve adjustment at 120,000 miles just like your Lexus.

I have won awards for the car at shows. She will run with anything on the road. Loves long road trips and streaching her legs. Most exotics get old after
100 miles of getting beat with a stiff suspension. After year I think she is actually worth more being a known trouble free car and well sorted.

She needs to perform storng for a few more years but she is mostly likely to be my favorite car of all time. Even when I get my Ferrari 599 she will have a place in the garage just for blowing off some steam.

Heel and toeing the down shift to here the exhaust popping and spliting. Set her up for the corner. Traction control off so you can jump on the throttle sooner hanging the *** out power drifting throught the end of the corner.
Peoples heads wiping around to see what the hell is coming. RPM's blow past 4K and now she really starts to scream and pull as you are pushed back int he seater harder as rev's build. Cool here comes the tunnels. Keep her buried to red line and speed shift the 3-4 gear change. The sound in the tunnel sounds like last month standing near the tunnel exit in Monaco during the
F1 race. I need to go for a drive I think I have wood.

I actully busted my *** for a company for 2 years and got screwed out of woudl should have been a huge pay day. I ended up getting payed well for 2 years and walked away with pay off which bought the Maserti free in clear.
I hated the guy when I left but know I love him. I do not have to work for him anymore(Micro-Manager/Owner) and for 2 years work he bought me a Maserati. Best 2 years I could have spent. I bought a Mini Cooper S for my wife but it is so much fun I took it over as my commmuter. Not the power of the Maser but quick with go cart handling and way to much fun to be legal.
No way?!

That was a pretty funny read.
Old 06-07-10, 09:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carLx
He was banned for being a fraud masquerading around the forums as though he's some 19 year old successful businessman with various interests in kazakhstan, dubai, and so forth, when in fact he's nothing of the sort. Apparently he drives a Chevrolet Avalanche - far cry from the suite of exotics he had listed in his signature (CCX, R8, and so on) and he's pretty much a typical 19 year old kid.

His fake internet persona sounded a lot like a villain from a James Bond movie

Here was his final private message to one of the forum moderators where he tried to play it off as though lying about everything was his plan from the start:

"I wanted to test how far this could go. The waiting list for a Koenigsegg is almost 5 years... I'm surprised people caught on for so long. It was just a matter of time before the armchair investigators chimed in. I'm still surprised at how far things like these can go... as if people who buy 1.2 million dollar cars are regulars on a Lexus forum. I don't have that kind of money lmao and probably never will. " - FistforFast
lol this guy was a fraud? It amazes me how some under 30 would be living so large & in charge.. Most hit their financial peak in their mid 30's. The internet is amazing indeed.
Old 06-07-10, 09:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Everyone on the net has a cool million in the bank
Old 06-07-10, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ok everyone back on topic please
Old 06-07-10, 02:25 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad this topic was brought up, as I too have toyed with the idea of getting a Maserati just for a weekend car, to be a garage queen most of the time. I've got a neighbor with a 2 door hard top Maserati (and don't get me wrong about my neighborhood - he's got the only "exotic" car in the neighborhood, everyone else is Honda / Toyota / BMW / Lexus middle class for the most part, including myself) - I should go talk to him about his car owning experience.

As I expected, the cost of owning the car goes far beyond just the purchase price. The maintenance costs are something I worry about, along with insurance. It's too bad people throw around the answer "If you have to ask..." so loosely, because I am still genuinely interested in understanding what the costs are to maintain a Maserati GranTurismo, particularly when a used one can be had for about $75K (per my cars.com search). $75K isn't chump change, but it is a lot more affordable than a brand new one.

The figures outlined prior really do help, although I am wondering how much of the work (e.g. oil changes) I could do myself.. and save the major work for the dealership.

Turby
Old 06-07-10, 03:43 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamar411
Why was this thread brought back?
I don't know but it was worth it for me to read this:

Originally Posted by Milla...
Let me put it like this, (in a way a man would understand ) asking if exotics are reliable is like asking if Las Vegas prostitutes are clean.
Lol!