Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GSF on hold ( again ) , but the 4GS is in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 10:36 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO teasers are not necessary, good product(s) upon release to production is more important.
Old 12-07-09, 11:18 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
My Lexus hate? lol. Listen, I've owned Lexus cars (97 ES300 & currently GS400) while you were a teenager riding the bus. I don't need to convince or validate anything to you young man. The "Lexus is for old people" it sucks etc, German fanboy blah blah blah is your own non-sense & creation. Cut it!

Back to the gist of this thread.. I made a point now refute the point which you have yet to do with evidence.
Again, you said you are not posting here anymore, yet you do so. Why? My Lexus experience> yours. You then know nothing about the brand. We have all seen your posts here. YOU CUT IT, everyone is TIRED of it. The same redundant posts over and over of how bad Lexus is with your sly remarks in every thread in car chat.

Funny the selective amnesia here about cars. Guess what the 1GS had only a couple of spy pics before it debuted. One was in the 1993 Motor Trend full car special mag. The car was completely covered and they had almost no info on it.

The 2GS was the same. We had NO IDEA what was going to happen until the HPS started hitting the show circuit a few months before the GS 300/400 debuted.

The 3GS again was the same. No shots of it except the ones I posted which Lexus provided themselves. The glimpse of the car was the LF-S which debuted years earlier

I refuted your points, do you not see the pictures. Other members are right, you do NOT need some spy pics to be a great car/release. That is absurd.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
^^^ Same with Infiniti actually.... No one really knew how the new M would look like, until that live broadcast they did a few months ago.
Bingo

Originally Posted by FisforFast
It's a shame to say, but I'll have to agree with DASHOCKER on this one. It's another way of doing business, but in the end Lexus is screwing its customers by releasing their finished product only, and not giving any teasers whatsoever. Imho, you can do this with a brand new product, but to do this with a new generation of an existing product is just wrong.

I bet there are many people out there that bought an IS350, that would have otherwise waited and bought an IS F had they known about its existence. If I remember correctly, the IS F came out of the blue. I'm fairly certain the GS F will as well.

I mean, it's not a bad way of doing business. No other car manufacturer does this, iirc. It prevents Lexus from shooting itself in the foot with unnecessary hype, like BMW did with the M5, or Lamborghini with the Valentino Balboni edition Gallardo.
You said it its "another" way and "not a bad way". Lexus is a very conservative, quiet company. ALL car makers try to get their products to market without being "Spyed". We live in the digital age where random people snap pics on their camera phone and post on the internet to a car brands dismay!!!! Car companies go through all sorts of lengths to not have the car seen and info leaked BEFORE it is released. They do NOT want the competition to know what they are bringing so they can't prepare for it.

All of a sudden its "bad" not to do it? What the hell?

Its ridiculous the banter from some people.
1. If Lexus doesn't do what the Germans do "Oh its stupid they should show the car early like they do"
2. If Lexus does what the Germans do "Oh they are just a copy of the Germanz"

Originally Posted by IS-SV
IMHO teasers are not necessary, good product(s) upon release to production is more important.
Bingo. I mean WHO KNOWS what will happen! The car could be teased tomorrow!!!

Old 12-07-09, 11:45 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seriously need a chill pill.
Old 12-07-09, 11:48 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no sense to hype product that is not coming soon, because it drops the sales of product that is out there in the market. Only way you can do it is if you are entering new market, like LFA.
Wow, I totally never though of that. I've always never liked how car makers were so secretive about products that we know are coming out because car makers can't retool a factory quickly enough if they see the looks of another car maker's upcoming car. On top of that, no company wants to copy another company's design so there's no point in not showing the design.
But what you state here makes a lot of sense. If people wait for a car to come out then sales drop off for that model. There are some people out there that want/need the newest and best so they'll trade in an older same model car for a newer one with better design/tech/etc. Some people will still wait it out but others will just buy what they want now and then trade it in when newer/better version comes out.
Old 12-07-09, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

this thread has veered so far off comments about the motortrend article (remember that?) that i think we should just all chill and wait for anything a bit more concrete.

closed.
Old 12-07-09, 11:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i never really care about teasers neither, when it's ready, it's ready. come out with a teaser and next thing you know some people are complaining why the car is not here yet. yup that's what some people do.

personally if you ask me, i never expect the 3gs to be anything as ground shaking as the 2gs (which i truly admit it was a big wow). however, that doesn't take away the fact that i think the 3gs is a partial failure and a car not well thought out. if i have to quickly recap what i think

1) 06 gs300 engine setup didn't make sense
2) 06 gs couldn't play mp3
3) 06 gs carries the old generation nav
4) commonly complained gas and trunk release button locations
5) less interior space than 2gs
6) tight rear cabin space (compared to 2gs)
7) less than desired trunk space (compared to 5 or e or 2gs)
8) tape deck?

there are goods about the 3gs of course, for example the 3.5L engine (brilliant setup imho for the price). but looking at the design of the 2is and 4ls, which has been a lot more "complete" and "well thought", i would have to admit that the 3gs hasn't been too solid.

that's probably what disappoint me the most on 3gs. and that's why i hope for 4gs they are going to be 100% ready