Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does Lexus have too many entry level cars?
yes
10.64%
no
53.19%
who cares
36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Does Lexus have TOO many entry level cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-10, 01:15 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I'm going to say since Lexus has two reasonably distinct line ups, 2 entry level cars in each doesn't seem unreasonable.

(I'm grouping the IS & CT as one and the ES & HS as the other)
Old 03-03-10, 01:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Faymester
Hmm, I'm going to say since Lexus has two reasonably distinct line ups, 2 entry level cars in each doesn't seem unreasonable.

(I'm grouping the IS & CT as one and the ES & HS as the other)
Thats still 4 entry level cars
Old 03-03-10, 01:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Correction: The current gen ES350 has always had real wood trim.
Every Lexus since 1989 has real wood. Never fake.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Is there something wrong with being profitable?

f we list the 4 cylinder and diesel and small cars the Germans offer we wouldn't have enough time.

There isn't a right way. BMW's 3 series dominates in sales as one car with many different options. Lexus is offering different cars at the same price. I like both methods.

This is coming. A Skoda based Audi A1. Below the A3.

Lexus HAS to expand. The smart brands realize Luxury is going small thus the influx of smaller luxury cars.

I was adamantly opposed to them until I started to understand their purpose and they seem to get better each generation. I am a huge fan of the 1 series coupe for instance.

Is Lexus over doing it? Not when the Germans already do it. Lexus also have to continue moving up and they have with the new RX and GX and of course LFA.

Old 03-03-10, 02:07 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

More choices for the people. The ES and IS are entry level gas/petrol/diesel engine choices and the HS and CT are entry level hybrid choices.

Last edited by Trexus; 03-03-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 02:10 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to see another entry level Lexus,a Lexus version of the RAV4.
Old 03-03-10, 02:18 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Name it the IX 350, HX 350, JX 350 or VX 350?
Old 03-03-10, 02:21 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
and maybe add an 'H'.
Old 03-03-10, 02:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

with a baby on the way I really wish they would build a lexus version of the Venza. I know many people will state that maybe the RX is already that, but I want something that look really nice from the out side. The RX is a great vehicle, but when I see the reflection of the car in a building I am never impressed. Seems soccer momish
Old 03-03-10, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Every Lexus since 1989 has real wood. Never fake.

My Solar Yellow 2001 IS300 didn't have ANY wood at all inside....fake or otherwise. That was one of my few complaints with the car. Some IS300 models did have a wood-trim option, but not on the yellow ones.

If my memory is correct, the first RX hybrid models didn't have any wood either...it was all metallic trim. Neither did the ES250, again, if my memory is correct.
Old 03-03-10, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My Solar Yellow 2001 IS300 didn't have ANY wood at all inside....fake or otherwise. That was one of my few complaints with the car. Some IS300 models did have a wood-trim option, but not on the yellow ones.

If my memory is correct, the first RX hybrid models didn't have any wood either...it was all metallic trim. Neither did the ES250, again, if my memory is correct.
he meant that those that had wood, had real wood...
Old 03-03-10, 04:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
he meant that those that had wood, had real wood...
Exactly, no fake/plastic wood.
Old 03-03-10, 04:21 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

No Skoda shares the same platform as the A1. The Fabia is on the PQ24 platform.
The Ibiza was the first to use the PQ25 platform, followed by the Polo MK5, and now the A1.

I think they do have too many entry level cars, I feel this was true before the existence of the HS. I much prefer how the Germans + Infiniti have their line up. The HS should never have existed, and the ES/GS either should merge, or, the ES become the true midsize while the GS is relegated to being a CLS type competitor.
Old 03-03-10, 04:44 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus HAS to expand. The smart brands realize Luxury is going small thus the influx of smaller luxury cars.

I was adamantly opposed to them until I started to understand their purpose and they seem to get better each generation. I am a huge fan of the 1 series coupe for instance.

Is Lexus over doing it? Not when the Germans already do it. Lexus also have to continue moving up and they have with the new RX and GX and of course LFA.
The A1 is to Audi what the Mini is to BMW. Yes they're both probably too ridiculous for premium brands, but they serve they're purpose as cute sub compacts, whereas the A3 and 1 series are both compacts.

Lexus's problem is the IS/HS/ES are all in the same class and are all around the same size and price. The A1 is going to be over a foot shorter, much cheaper than the A3, and in a completely different class. I wouldn't mind Lexus's having the IS/HS/ES if those cars were each in different classes, but Lexus is positioning all 3 as 3/A4/C competitors.

As I said Lexus had better differentiation before and it made a little bit of sense, but after the ES refresh and the introduction of the HS things got too muddy down at the $35K and below segment.
Old 03-03-10, 04:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
No Skoda shares the same platform as the A1. The Fabia is on the PQ24 platform.
The Ibiza was the first to use the PQ25 platform, followed by the Polo MK5, and now the A1.

I think they do have too many entry level cars, I feel this was true before the existence of the HS. I much prefer how the Germans + Infiniti have their line up. The HS should never have existed, and the ES/GS either should merge, or, the ES become the true midsize while the GS is relegated to being a CLS type competitor.
Please check the facts.
http://www.insideline.com/audi/a1/20...auto-show.html
Spun off from the same Volkswagen PQ25 platform that underpins the Seat Ibiza, Skoda Fabia and Volkswagen Polo

So you want the best selling luxury brand in America for 10 years to follow Inifniti a struggling brand with 5 models? That makes absolutely no sense. Did you forget Lexus sells in the price range where Infiniti doesn't exists? The SC/LS/LX/LFA all have base MSRPs where Infiiti does not compete.

Did it occur to you they ARE doing what the Germans are offering. The GErmans have many small cars and entry level cars.

BMW-1 series, coming 0 series, 4 cylinder options in Europe with the 3
Audi-A1, A3, A4 is FWD without AWD and an I-4
Benz-A class, B, class, C class including a hatch based on the old C-class we don't get.

Sorry but your thoughts don't make much sense at all.

Old 03-03-10, 04:49 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
and maybe add an 'H'.
Well it's believed that a compact CUV will be coming based on the "new" CT200h platform so it'll be a bit smaller than the Rav4 and it'll compete directly with the BMW X1. That's the rumor anyway...

with a baby on the way I really wish they would build a lexus version of the Venza. I know many people will state that maybe the RX is already that, but I want something that look really nice from the out side. The RX is a great vehicle, but when I see the reflection of the car in a building I am never impressed. Seems soccer momish
And the Venza is not soccer momish ???

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, no fake/plastic wood.
Ok I was wrong about the wood bit, but the 2007-2009 ES did have standard cloth. Most dealer lots only stocked vehicles with leather (which more often than not stickered for $40K). Since most of the dealers only had leather equipped models the price spread between the ES and IS was pretty sizable if you were just the average joe on the lot.

Quick Reply: Does Lexus have TOO many entry level cars