Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Volkswagen Amarok

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-09, 09:54 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Volkswagen Amarok

I am surprised nobody has posted this here yet given the Toyota connection.

2011 Volkswagen Amarok

The Volkswagen Amarok, which will be available as a four-door double cab version from launch with a single cab model to follow in 2011, combines the robustness of a pick-up with innovative technology, high safety standards, excellent fuel economy and Volkswagen standards of comfort, quality and durability.

Production of the Volkswagen Amarok is about to start at the Volkswagen factory in Buenos Aires, Argentina ahead of its worldwide launch starting in its native South America in early 2010 and in Europe in the summer of 2010, with first models expected to be in UK Volkswagen Van Centres in September 2010.

The Volkswagen Amarok has a generous payload capacity of up to 1.15 tonnes and maximum towing limit of 2.8 tonnes. Its 2.52 m² cargo area has the largest dimensions in its class at 1,555 mm long and 1,620 mm wide, plus a best in class width between the wheelarches of 1,222 mm, which means that for the first time on a mid-size pick-up, it is possible to load Euro pallets sideways, saving on space.

The official photos show the Volkswagen Amarok reflects the latest Volkswagen design DNA with frontal styling in line with the latest Transporter and Golf. It is 5.25 m long with a ladder frame chassis and will be offered with a choice of rear-wheel drive and switchable or permanent 4MOTION all-wheel drive.

For maximum convenience, the switchable all-wheel drive is engaged by the push of a button, and also has low off-road gearing.
The full-time all-wheel drive version is a rarity in the pick-up sector, and uses a Torsen differential to distribute drive at a 40:60 ratio to the front and rear axles for excellent vehicle dynamics and high traction, and also ensures that the wheel with the best traction always gets the most power. A rear differential lock is available.

Designed to tackle the toughest off-road terrain, the VW Amarok is offered with an electronic differential lock (EDL) and Off-Road ABS to significantly shorten braking distances in off-road conditions or gravel roads. At speeds of under 20 mph it also activates Hill Descent Assist to control hill descents by using selective braking interventions. Furthermore, the ESP Plus system includes Hill Hold Assist, which prevents the vehicle from rolling back by holding it in place on inclines until the driver presses the accelerator pedal.

Under the bonnet there will be a choice of two 2.0-litre fuel-efficient, Euro5 compliant, common rail TDI engines producing 163 PS, with torque of 400 Nm at a low 1,500 rpm, or 122 PS with maximum torque of 340 Nm from 2,000 rpm.

Both engines have a six-speed manual transmission and will have impressive fuel economy with low emissions to make the Volkswagen Amarok the first all-wheel drive pick-up in this class offering CO2 emissions of less than 200 g/km. Like the new Transporter and Caravelle, the Volkswagen Amarok has a gearchange indicator to help drivers achieve the best fuel economy, which with an 80-litre fuel tank should offer a range of over 600 miles.

UK prices and specifications will be confirmed nearer the Volkswagen Amarok's UK launch. The range is expected to comprise a standard model for customers who need a pick-up that is as robust and practical as possible, to offering all the latest luxury items expected for those using Volkswagen Amarok as a leisure vehicle. An extensive accessories programme will also be offered for the Volkswagen Amarok - from a styling bar and running boards, through a cargo cover and Multi-Connect load securing system to a selection of stylish alloy wheels.

The large and ergonomically designed interior is the largest in its class and in many ways resembles that of a Volkswagen passenger car. Easy entry, lots of headroom and ample legroom for passengers on the rear bench seat make the Volkswagen Amarok a fully-fledged five-seater. If only two people are travelling, interior storage space can be increased by folding the rear seat.

Key markets for the Volkswagen Amarok include South America, South Africa and Australia; in these countries, because of their versatility, pick-ups are some of the most sought after recreational and commercial vehicles. Thanks to its efficient drive technology and tremendous versatility, the Volkswagen Amarok is also expected to be a trendsetter in the contemporary pick-up class in Europe.

Old 12-04-09, 10:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting, it almost in the mode of a Honda Ridgeline but with a real ladder frame body and a real 4WD system. Is this the 1st European pickup truck to be sold in the US?

Last edited by The G Man; 12-04-09 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-04-09, 10:05 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Is this the 1st European pickup truck to be sold in the US?

The only European pickup "truck" I can think off is the famous VW Caddy. I believe they were even sold in the US at some point in both diesel and gas form.

By the way, the Amarok will not be sold in the US. It's built for Europe and South America.
Old 12-04-09, 10:08 AM
LexFather

There is no interest b/c it bland, blah, yawn

It reminds me of the Ford Explorer SPort Trac no longer made

Old 12-04-09, 10:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad looking truck IMO. Seems sort of odd fitting a pickup into VW's image but if it works, it works.
Old 12-04-09, 11:30 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Looks pretty good to me.
Originally Posted by DustinV
What Toyota connection does it have?
Old 12-04-09, 04:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
tl;dr (but did search ) - what toyota connection?

looks very nice, but for the u.s. they'll need to do a non-metric press release because we're too retarded here to use metric.
Old 12-04-09, 05:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Looks better than the Honda version and appears that it would be more useful as a truck.
Old 12-04-09, 06:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think it looks great , but do we really need another pick up right now. Also I hope they don't price it out its competitors range
Old 12-04-09, 06:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tl;dr (but did search ) - what toyota connection?
OMFG, I was about to post exact the same thing!
Old 12-04-09, 07:11 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mister Two
What Toyota connection does it have?

Apparently it's based on the European Toyota Hilux pickup truck.

There was a partnership between VW and Toyota in the past regarding a pickup. The 1989-1997 Volkswagen Taro was based on a Toyota pickup chassis and body but sold in Europe as a VW.

Old 12-04-09, 08:51 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

That's not a bad looking truck. It definitely looks better than a Ridgeline. I don't think it would do too well here in the States though as the bed is waaay too small to be of any good use.
Old 12-04-09, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ecr527
That's not a bad looking truck. It definitely looks better than a Ridgeline. I don't think it would do too well here in the States though as the bed is waaay too small to be of any good use.
Anything looks better than the Ridgeline. One of the worst looking anythings I've ever seen. Frankenstein wouldn't drive it.

Old 12-04-09, 08:59 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the VW is based on Toyota underpinnings, it's got real truck DNA. Unlike the Ridgeline which basically a Odyssey El Camino.
Old 12-04-09, 09:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Worst name ever.
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Not a bad looking truck IMO. Seems sort of odd fitting a pickup into VW's image but if it works, it works.
Feel the same way. Could care less about this vehicle. Identical front end to the VW Golf.

Quick Reply: 2011 Volkswagen Amarok