Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 05:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH

The new 5 is pretty much as boring-looking as the new 7; well, at least the interior/dash has improved.

boring sells. well. especially in the luxury segment
Old 04-19-10, 05:34 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I took delivery in August as my car was a 6/09 build (2 months).. Mine was a custom build. For example, I have stand alone options like heated steering wheel, heated seats which are not part of a package. Some cars have heated seats but no heated steering wheel for example. I have the premium package with nav, pdc, Logic 7, I-pod integration, convienience pack, popular gray trim, CR interior, AW, x-drive etc.. Take out one of these options & you will have a completly different car that requires a custom build since most of these options are not dealer installed.
Mine took around 2 months to delivery also. It was cool to track it online and see what status it was at from Production to on the boat and then to the final dealer destination. Have to say I check the status each and everyday like a little excited kid. It would have been nice to find my certain vehicle in stock but the wait was well worth it.
Old 04-19-10, 08:59 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I see, that is indeed very fast to get the car custom built and shipped across the ocean in two months. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Were you able to negotiate the price at all with all the customization?
I had my Bimmer custom built as well......It took a little over 2 months but I custom built every option and color/trim choice. This to me is priceless. One of the main reasons I got the car.

BTW the dealership didn't push any cars in the inventory and was more than happy to order it. I got a great deal as well. Pricing doesnt get impacted at all.

I hope Lexus offers this type of choices instead of preselected packages based on regions where u live and fixed color/trims choices.
Old 04-21-10, 06:48 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lexguynj
Mine took around 2 months to delivery also. It was cool to track it online and see what status it was at from Production to on the boat and then to the final dealer destination. Have to say I check the status each and everyday like a little excited kid. It would have been nice to find my certain vehicle in stock but the wait was well worth it.
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I had my Bimmer custom built as well......It took a little over 2 months but I custom built every option and color/trim choice. This to me is priceless. One of the main reasons I got the car.

BTW the dealership didn't push any cars in the inventory and was more than happy to order it. I got a great deal as well. Pricing doesnt get impacted at all.

I hope Lexus offers this type of choices instead of preselected packages based on regions where u live and fixed color/trims choices.
So we have 3 owners so far who had their Bimmers custom ordered. Do we have a forth? This process does not cost the buyer an extra penny & is a smooth transaction between buyer & dealer.
Old 04-21-10, 01:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

get on m3 boards and you will see tons of people custom ordering their cars, especially when they package ED together
Old 04-21-10, 01:49 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW's endless option list and ability to customize would be enough to make me really consider one in the coming years. There is nothing quite like having the exact car that your heart desires.

Unless Lexus starts offering interior colors that are more exciting than tan, gray, and black, I really might start looking elsewhere when the time comes. Saddle? Camel? Red? Come on...

I have harped enough on that in other posts....I digress...
Old 04-21-10, 03:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
BMW's endless option list and ability to customize would be enough to make me really consider one in the coming years. There is nothing quite like having the exact car that your heart desires.

Unless Lexus starts offering interior colors that are more exciting than tan, gray, and black, I really might start looking elsewhere when the time comes. Saddle? Camel? Red? Come on...

I have harped enough on that in other posts....I digress...

but you can special order your lexus, right?

oh, and the 5 series looks really nice fixed up

Last edited by dunnojack; 04-21-10 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-21-10, 03:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dunnojack
but you can special order your lexus, right?

oh, and the 5 series looks really nice fixed up

not really, a lot of options are not "combinable" and number of options are way too few as a good selection. lexus jp has far better selections already
Old 04-22-10, 01:44 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus has a long way to go to offer the same sort of customization as BMW. Infiniti, well they are far worse than ever Lexus in terms of customization. At least Lexus has F-Sport accessories.
Old 04-22-10, 08:27 AM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
get on m3 boards and you will see tons of people custom ordering their cars, especially when they package ED together
We wanted to get the ED package when we got the 335i coupe in 08, but we got lucky that there was the same package/trim offered at the dealership nearby. Space Grey/Coral Red Interior with navi/sport. Would've been nice to have the ED. I'm sure it's worth the wait.
Old 04-22-10, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Lexus has a long way to go to offer the same sort of customization as BMW. Infiniti, well they are far worse than ever Lexus in terms of customization. At least Lexus has F-Sport accessories.
lexus japan already has started to offer all these great selections, i just hope that will come to NA soon

Originally Posted by 2SwiFt29
We wanted to get the ED package when we got the 335i coupe in 08, but we got lucky that there was the same package/trim offered at the dealership nearby. Space Grey/Coral Red Interior with navi/sport. Would've been nice to have the ED. I'm sure it's worth the wait.
ED is great, everyone i know who has done it said it's fantastic experience. basically the overall price come to like you get the car and the trip is "free". definitely something i want to try
Old 04-22-10, 09:43 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

lexus japan already has started to offer all these great selections, i just hope that will come to NA soon

ED is great, everyone i know who has done it said it's fantastic experience. basically the overall price come to like you get the car and the trip is "free". definitely something i want to try
When I ordered my M3, they didn't have ED option. If I remember correctly, they didn't have ED option for M cars. Now, they have and I feel like I was cheated. I so wanted to do ED.

May be I will do ED with the M5 New M5 looks so hot!
Old 04-22-10, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by STIG
When I ordered my M3, they didn't have ED option. If I remember correctly, they didn't have ED option for M cars. Now, they have and I feel like I was cheated. I so wanted to do ED.

May be I will do ED with the M5 New M5 looks so hot!
yeah no kidding, people complained for the longest time on lack of ED on m cars. now they finally have it as well.

maybe we should get the m5 ED together
Old 04-22-10, 10:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, that's what I meant . Lexus Japan has started offering great custom options, but so far it's only in Japan. Lexus needs to expand these custom options to other markets.

The LFA of course has great customization being offered to all buyers around the world, but then again it is a super-exclusive car.
Old 04-22-10, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yeah, that's what I meant . Lexus Japan has started offering great custom options, but so far it's only in Japan. Lexus needs to expand these custom options to other markets.

The LFA of course has great customization being offered to all buyers around the world, but then again it is a super-exclusive car.
haha it would suck if i have to pay 400k before i can get that kind of customization

but of course, it's a torn decision. it will likely drive up the cost of lexus cars (which has been a big part of lexus success)

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)