Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SLS Gullwing review

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-09, 11:18 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLS Gullwing review

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lumn?track=rss

I really like the car, and possibly after the initial deprtiation I would love to pick one up.
Old 11-14-09, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Gullwings, of course, are nice for parking in tight areas and for ease of entry/exit, but also have their drawbacks. Unless they are assembled and installed with exact laser precision, they can develop annoying water leaks....sometimes right in your lap. They also, because of their shape and hinge motion, cut more deeply into the rooflines more than conventional doors, weakening the roof's structural integrity and increasing the likelihood of creaks, squeaks, and rattles....something that the former T-Tops like the Camaro and Buick Regal were notorious for.

The famous DeLorean stainless-steel sports car was a classic example of gull-wing problems. They never got the design or assembly precision correct at the Northern Ireland plant where those cars were made...one reason, among many, why the car was unsuccessful and not more popular than it was.
Old 11-15-09, 01:11 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gullwings, of course, are nice for parking in tight areas and for ease of entry/exit, but also have their drawbacks. Unless they are assembled and installed with exact laser precision, they can develop annoying water leaks....sometimes right in your lap. They also, because of their shape and hinge motion, cut more deeply into the rooflines more than conventional doors, weakening the roof's structural integrity and increasing the likelihood of creaks, squeaks, and rattles....something that the former T-Tops like the Camaro and Buick Regal were notorious for.

The famous DeLorean stainless-steel sports car was a classic example of gull-wing problems. They never got the design or assembly precision correct at the Northern Ireland plant where those cars were made...one reason, among many, why the car was unsuccessful and not more popular than it was.
Did it every occur to you that years of R&D would lead to progress in all of the areas you brought up?
Old 11-15-09, 12:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Did it every occur to you that years of R&D would lead to progress in all of the areas you brought up?
Of course, progress has occurred, but that doesn't necessarily overcome a basic design weakness. Take convertibles, for instance....another example. Cowl shake, from a variety of factors, has been greatly reduced in most new models, but it is still there to some extent.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-09 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-16-09, 12:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am not blown away by the styling at all. It looks like a watered down SLR, and even the SLR look weird at many angles
Old 11-16-09, 12:46 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the throwback nature of it all, but it's such an ugly car. At least it's not an automatic.
Old 11-16-09, 01:05 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that it tries to retain some of it's former glory in a new package. This car is bound to be hated by many, as it's a re-creation of one of the most iconic cars ever built. Personally, I'd pick this over the SLR.
Old 11-16-09, 06:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

although an extreme case if the car rolls and ends upside down, you cant open the door in lambo, gullwing style doors
Old 11-16-09, 06:50 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lumn?track=rss

I really like the car, and possibly after the initial deprtiation I would love to pick one up.
Initial depreciation you will possibly pick one up? Good luck.. How much is older brother SLR going for these days?

Another classic car by by Mercedes right here.. We will see this car in another 20 to 30 years going for mega bucks at Barrett Jackson.
Old 11-16-09, 06:56 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Wasn't a big fan of the SLR styling, but I'm loving this one
Old 11-16-09, 07:42 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
although an extreme case if the car rolls and ends upside down, you cant open the door in lambo, gullwing style doors
"Indeed, it went to a huge amount of bother to build a super-sports car with the trademark gullwing doors. In order to get the doors past the Feds' safety standards, the engineers had to build in pyrotechnic hinges so that, if the car should overturn, the hinges would blow and passengers could escape.

Dear God, that's cool."
Old 11-16-09, 07:48 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen better. And lol about t-top crappy GM cars, etc.
Old 11-16-09, 08:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I've seen better. And lol about t-top crappy GM cars, etc.
As far as LOL is concerned, it's hard not to laugh at the way some of those older GM cars cars were built....and some Chrysler products were even worse.
Old 11-16-09, 08:27 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It is a great look car, a classic for sure. If I had the room and the $$$ I would buy one.
Old 11-16-09, 08:35 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it!

Quick Reply: SLS Gullwing review