Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drove the FCX Clarity the other day

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 12:10 AM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove the FCX Clarity the other day

Don't know if anyone else have driven it, but here's my opinion on it. This past Wednesday, Honda was invited to give a presentation and brought along an FCX Clarity for some of us engineering students at UCI to test drive (ditched one discussion but it was worth it ). Their presentation described how their latest version of the fuel cell stack worked and how they managed to basically shrink down every component of the car from the motor to the li-ion batteries just to shave off weight, though the car still weighs around 3500 lbs. if iirc from the presentation. The Honda reps also discussed the development of the hydrogen tank and how it should be able to withstand explosions, gunfire, bonfires, and collisions which makes sense since you don't want one of these to blow up right behind the rear seats. They also described the processes to fill up the tank from your own home with Honda's Home Energy Station or at Solar Hydrogen Stations.

So time to see the car. First off, one of the reps informed us how the FCX's color was a one off color so that when you see the color, you immediately recognize it as the FCX. The first thing you notice when you get into the driver's seat is the instrument panel because of how great it looks because there's a depth to it making it look like you have some 3D glasses on lol. I would have to say that that's the part I most liked about the car. Next thing I noticed was the high shifter placement. It took me a while to get used to it and when you want to park, you don't exactly notice the P button that's right below it. The radio and climate controls looks a bit plain to me and their version of the iDrive to control the navigation system looks really bulky in my opinion. There's that entire open space right below the controls that could have easily been used for that controller. The seats felt nice and comfortable but look much cheaper in person than in pictures. The seats aren't even powered which the rep said was to save weight. Rear leg room was plenty along with headroom unless you're really tall. Visibility seemed to be perfect but it took a while for me to get used to the small glass section after the rear seat to see behind me since the rear shelf is pretty high. Interior trim pieces felt nice and firm and the steering wheel felt like it was the perfect size.

Putting the car into drive felt weird because the controller for the drive selection isn't like your typical shifter. It felt more like a joystick because after you select drive or reverse, it bounces back to its original position. After getting it into drive, the first thing you notice about the throttle when you push on it is that all that power is there immediately since electric motors have all that immediate torque. The gearing, however, probably could've been better because I could hear the motor whir as I stepped on the accelerator. Braking felt really weird to me and others that test drove the FCX agreed. Just pushing the brakes a little bit felt like the brakes grabbed on immediately unlike how in normal gas powered cars it goes in a bit before it actually grabs. The representative said that that's typical of most cars with regenerative braking and that if you were coming from a typical gas powered car that you would be used to having some sponginess to your car's brakes. The acceleration of the car felt very smooth but that's most likely due to it just being a single gear drive. We were only allowed to drive on a path that the rep told us so there wasn't a chance to actually try it on the freeway. But if you guys are wondering, the Honda reps said that 0-60 was 9 or 10 seconds iirc . Suspension felt comfortable and smooth and basically soaked up the bumps. When it came to make a U-turn, the car's turning radius was very small which the reps said was because of the size of the electric motor allowing the steering to be able to turn in more than a conventional car.

Overall, I think the FCX does what it has to do just right. Then again, not much to compare against besides the fuel cell powered Equinox and according to Honda's reps if I'm not mistaken, not very efficient or reliable.

tried to get some interior shots especially of the 3D gauge cluster, by my friends who tried to take the picture have shaky hands lol

Last edited by blisiono; 11-07-09 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-07-09, 02:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice write-up!
Old 11-07-09, 05:30 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! I had a ride in the Hydrogen7 last summer in Toronto (no one's allowed to drive it cause it was just a shuttle service for some Golf tournament that BMW sponsors). It was great! Couldn't tell the difference between that and a normal 7.

The funny thing about the FCX you just described is that it sounds like you're describing the Prius...

t felt more like a joystick because after you select drive or reverse, it bounces back to its original position
Just pushing the brakes a little bit felt like the brakes grabbed on immediately unlike how in normal gas powered cars it goes in a bit before it actually grabs.
This one is probably more applicable to the 1st & 2nd Gen Prius

But if you guys are wondering, the Honda reps said that 0-60 was 9 or 10 seconds iirc
Ok, it's faster than a Prius =P

It took me a while to get used to it and when you want to park, you don't exactly notice the P button that's right below it.

Even though it's not available for mass consumption, I think the FCX is a fantastic vehicle. It looks stylish, it's a midsize car, respectable oomph, spacious, comfortable, drives like a normal car.
Old 11-07-09, 07:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Space is definitely nice. There seems to be more legroom than the Camry, both upfront and in the back.

This thing gets a rating of approximately 79mpg city (EPA equivalent). For most city driver, you might not have to refill for a while

Where this technology beats electric vehicles is the fill-up time. On an EV, you're going to be spending a VERY long time to get it back up to charge. For this clarity, it takes no longer than the average vehicles.
Old 11-07-09, 08:50 PM
blisiono
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The funny thing about the FCX you just described is that it sounds like you're describing the Prius...
Yeah, the concept and how the drive selector and brakes operate can't really be too much different than a Prius IMO but then again, I haven't had the chance to drive or sit in a Prius before.

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Even though it's not available for mass consumption, I think the FCX is a fantastic vehicle. It looks stylish, it's a midsize car, respectable oomph, spacious, comfortable, drives like a normal car.
Originally Posted by GSteg
There seems to be more legroom than the Camry, both upfront and in the back.
I totally agree. I was expecting insufficient legroom just like in my mom's ES300 but surprisingly it's quite spacious. And the immediate torque as soon as you push the pedal feels nice especially when you weren't really expecting it from a car that was made to be very efficient.
Old 11-08-09, 10:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blisiono
I totally agree. I was expecting insufficient legroom just like in my mom's ES300 but surprisingly it's quite spacious. And the immediate torque as soon as you push the pedal feels nice especially when you weren't really expecting it from a car that was made to be very efficient.
Well I think the beauty of a Fuel Cell system is that there's no need for differentials and other mechanical gear thus allowing more space inside for a compact exterior.

Imagine if we didn't need an engine compartment (cause everything is under the floor). You'd have soo much more space.