Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey (updated October 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 08:21 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whoa. Wait a minute. $6000 for WRX brakes? Somebody is getting taken to the cleaners. Even though WRX brakes are larger then those of regular Imprezas, they should run a couple of hundered dollars....even all four should be well under $1000. The STi, of course, has more expensive Brembos, but even so, should not run anywhere near $6000, given a normal brake job without added work.
My friend got quoted $6k to have the job done at the local dealership. We instead bought all the parts for about $1k and did it on jackstands in my driveway.
Old 10-28-09, 06:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanz
Ok, just found this for the GS AWD

Major brake issues? I've never heard of anybody complaining about the brakes apart from dust.
Fuel system? Audio? Did they just fudge these??

I think the issue is the GS fell through the cracks so to speak. According to the site, there are only 2 GS: GS 300 and GS 450h. Yes, that's right, all of them are GS 300 even for 2008!
Also, the GS RWD is above average and recommended! WTF?
I had a 2008 GS350 AWD last year and did extensive research on the GS's reliability. The Consumer report's much worst than average rating for the GS350 AWD and above average rating for the RWD just did not make sense since the AWD system in the GS is pretty relaible. So I research some more and found a link where one editor ask CR why the rating were so different between the 2 version. The CR editor’s respond was the AWD version have extensive interior panel integrity issues. I assume they meant to say the dash rattles. The funny thing is that both the AWD and RWD share the same interior panels.
Other things on CR's report that made me think twice about CR's ability to rate anything except for household appliance is that they claim the GS have major brake issues. As far as I know, there is only a dust and squeaks problem, which are not Major brake issues. Also, as ivanz said, it seems like they just tested the 2007 GS300 and the GS450h and use the same report for all 2008 and 2009 GS350 and GS V8.
Old 10-28-09, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
My friend got quoted $6k to have the job done at the local dealership. We instead bought all the parts for about $1k and did it on jackstands in my driveway.
OK......I just noticed that you are in Canada. That might (?) account for at least some of the difference. Subaru doesn't necessarily operate there like they do here in the U.S. But, even accounting for the difference in Canadian and American dollars, that's still quite stiff.
Here in America, for 1K, you could have probably had it done at a dealership, and maybe (?) got back some change.
Old 10-28-09, 07:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I had a 2008 GS350 AWD last year and did extensive research on the GS's reliability. The Consumer report's much worst than average rating for the GS350 AWD and above average rating for the RWD just did not make sense since the AWD system in the GS is pretty relaible. So I research some more and found a link where one editor ask CR why the rating were so different between the 2 version. The CR editor’s respond was the AWD version have extensive interior panel integrity issues. I assume they meant to say the dash rattles. The funny thing is that both the AWD and RWD share the same interior panels.
Other things on CR's report that made me think twice about CR's ability to rate anything except for household appliance is that they claim the GS have major brake issues. As far as I know, there is only a dust and squeaks problem, which are not Major brake issues. Also, as ivanz said, it seems like they just tested the 2007 GS300 and the GS450h and use the same report for all 2008 and 2009 GS350 and GS V8.
The '07 GS AWD was rated Below Average under Body Integrity, Power Equipment, Audio System and rated Average in two other areas.

Not sure of the details included in each, just reading off of the report.
Old 10-28-09, 08:03 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should I expect to see this Auto edition in my mailbox soon?
Old 10-28-09, 08:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Should I expect to see this Auto edition in my mailbox soon?
I just read a news headline which said December issues.
Old 10-28-09, 08:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The '07 GS AWD was rated Below Average under Body Integrity, Power Equipment, Audio System and rated Average in two other areas.

Not sure of the details included in each, just reading off of the report.
The last time I check, the chassis, interior, power equipments and audio system is all the same with AWD and RWD.
Old 10-28-09, 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just read a news headline which said December issues.
Thanks, I'll watch for it. I find the specific model reliability survey data to be useful.
Old 10-28-09, 10:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Not surprised the Volkswagen Touareg was the worst vehicle in reliability again. I am surprised the new Honda Insight hybrid was the number 1 car in reliability because I believe Consumer Reports really did not like it in a previous test and was pretty critical of it and even did not recommend it.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...rs-score-well/
Old 10-28-09, 11:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

The fact that they do not like the Insight hybrid in many ways doesn't mean the car can't be reliable ...
Old 10-28-09, 11:05 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I would hope reliability would weigh issues (fuel system) that lead to the car being unusable much higher than other issues (rattles).

My point is, if the radio craps out none of us would score a car as unreliable. In their set up a radio failure and a squeak result in a bad score.

The lesson here is, data without real assessment = noise.
Old 10-28-09, 11:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The reliability reports (from owner surveys) and the reviews (from the road tests and editor reviews) are two separate areas in the CR reports.

A car can get a favorable review from the magazine and not so good reliability ratings from the owner survey and vice versa.
Old 10-28-09, 12:05 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While you, of course, are entitled to your opinion, most of us feel that CR is one of the best sources out there (if not THE best) for auto reliability. True, they don't do the same kind of sport-oriented testing that the enthusiast mags do, but that is not their purpose.
What I said previously was based on my experience, NOT my opinion.

Honda reliability has always ranked among the top according to CR. However, my experience with Honda is far from it. I am only listing the big ticket items that I have had with my hondas

1. 01 Accord - Dead AT transmission @ ~75k miles
2. 01 CRV - AC compressor failed prematurely and had a major head job for burned valves.
3. 05 S2K- 1st & 2nd gear synchros replaced due to it poping out under load so the transmission had to be removed and fixed. Sure I tracked it so did my 00 ITR. The ITR was abused much much more than the S2k but never had a problem.
4. 08 S2K CR - is beginning to experience the same problem. It only has 9K miles on the clock and I have only tracked it a few times. Yes, I do know how to drive a stick.

So, you see why I use CR as toilet paper?

Last edited by newr; 10-28-09 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 12:12 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The lesson here is, data without real assessment = noise.
Old 10-28-09, 01:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

But newr, you experience with Honda is not typical.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey (updated October 2011)