Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey (updated October 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 02:09 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
these guys should all be embarrassed!!

Mercedes @ 23
Audi @ 24
BMW @ 26
Yes and no, MB has been bumping it's self up the list for a while but its not in the top 10 yet, but its getting there....
Old 10-27-09, 03:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first, seeing Lexus ranked 7th almost made me choke, but glancing down the rest of the list makes 7th seem as attractive as first. Don't get me wrong - Lexus has room to improve - but don't forget that this study is looking at data that is 3 years old and we are still seeing some of those 2006 quality quibbles showing through in that timeframe. However, looking at the rest of the list and judging Lexus against it's rivals makes 7th place seem worthy of a trophy.

19 - Buick (Since Lexus is GM's target)
23 - Mercedes
24 - Audi
26 - BMW
32 - Cadillac
?? - Jaguar?

My initial reaction of shock for Lexus quickly turned to disbelief when considering the others. What happened to Mercedes alleged strides in reliability? And the improvement from Audi and BMW? Cadillac is just ridiculous...
Old 10-27-09, 03:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
Yes and no, MB has been bumping it's self up the list for a while but its not in the top 10 yet, but its getting there....
"Getting there"? 23rd is still 13 places from the top ten...that is nowhere close.
Old 10-27-09, 03:12 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I wish there was a reliability rating on these reliability survey Look at the difference between the top two auto relaibility survey reports, Consumer report and JD power. Chrysler went from last place to above average. All 3 German brand went from below average to about average, Scion went from 1st place to near the bottom. Suzuki went from 13th place to the very last place. Cadillac went from 32th place to the 8th place. SAAB went from 11th to 35th place, Mitsubishi went from 6th place to below average. Mazda went from 15 to near the very bottom. Buick went from 19th to 1st place. Jaguar, who was 1st place in JD power was not even mentioned in the CR report. The difference between the 2 list just goes on and on, somehow, the JD power report seems more reliable to me.

CR's reliability rating:

1. Scion
2. Honda
3. Toyota
4. Infiniti
5. Acura
6. Mitsubishi
7. Lexus
8. Hyundai
9. Porsche
10. Mercury
11. Saab
12. Subaru
13. Suzuki
14. Kia
15. Mazda
16. Ford
17. Nissan
18. Volvo
19. Buick
20. Lincoln
21. Volkswagen
22. Pontiac
23. Mercedes-Benz
24. Audi
25. Chevrolet
26. BMW
27. Mini
28. GMC
29. Saturn
30. Jeep
31. Dodge
32. Cadillac
33. Chrysler

JD power's 2009 reliability rating:
Attached Thumbnails Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey (updated October 2011)-vds_1.jpg  

Last edited by The G Man; 10-27-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 03:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Don't get me wrong - Lexus has room to improve - but don't forget that this study is looking at data that is 3 years old and we are still seeing some of those 2006 quality quibbles showing through in that timeframe. However, looking at the rest of the list and judging Lexus against it's rivals makes 7th place seem worthy of a trophy.
Indeed, those are very relevant points, including the 3 yr timeframe required to generate findings of a study such as this. In addition, CR does its own tests which IIRC factor into the results. For whatever reason, the GS heralded the 2006+ lineup, and JD Power also reported some issues--however in the latest IQS, for what it's worth, the GS reclaimed the top spot this year.
Old 10-27-09, 03:54 PM
R1R
Driver

So Infiniti's QX56 is more reliable than the entire Audi and Mini brand? Yikes!

Not great for Audi and Mini.
Old 10-27-09, 03:54 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I've always found JD Powers' findings to be right on par with real life, where-as CR usually falls kind of short. Lincolns have always been kind of bulletproof... there are several really old Lincolns in my family (10+ years old) that are still going strong with several hundred thousand kilometers on the odometer, and I'd be willing to say that Lincoln has always been making a high-quality product that can stand up to Lexus in terms of luxury and reliability. Jaguars have always been high quality and virtually bulletproof too, at least outside of Ford hands.

JD Powers' list just makes more 'real-life' sense to me than Customer Reports'.
Old 10-27-09, 03:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by R1R
So Infiniti's QX56 is more reliable than the entire Audi and Mini brand? Yikes!

Not great for Audi and Mini.
To Nissan's credit, they really tackled the QX's issues after the first couple years were so horridly built. Still they are so disapointed in the quality of the Mississippi plant the next QX will be now Petrol based, not Armada based and built in Japan.

Old 10-27-09, 03:58 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

I use CR mag to wipe my behind.. it is a little rough but sure cheaper than buying toilet paper.
Old 10-27-09, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by newr
I use CR mag to wipe my behind.. it is a little rough but sure cheaper than buying toilet paper.
While you, of course, are entitled to your opinion, most of us feel that CR is one of the best sources out there (if not THE best) for auto reliability. True, they don't do the same kind of sport-oriented testing that the enthusiast mags do, but that is not their purpose.
Old 10-27-09, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you look at the actual RANGE of reliability (from best to worst) instead of just the overall brand rankings (which, of course, are based on the median for each company), you will see that VW has some of the most unreliable vehicles out there.....and the Touraeg is at the bottom of those.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-09 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 04:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I'd be willing to say that Lincoln has always been making a high-quality product that can stand up to Lexus in terms of luxury and reliability. Jaguars have always been high quality and virtually bulletproof too, at least outside of Ford hands.
While I do respect your opinions and personal experiences, mine are the polar opposite. We owned an XJ that was pure and utter garbage and the XF, from what I have seen, has been plagued with it's fair share of issues. Take a look at some of the Jaguar forums and long term reliability/dependability data from major sources.

Lincoln...I don't know where to start. My roommate's dad has a fleet of Navigator XLs (big bucks) for work and every single one is trash. All the silver paint has chipped off the plastic in the interior in all of them, they all vibrate constantly and rattle like a wind chime. Sad, because IMO it's a nice truck otherwise.
Old 10-27-09, 04:41 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
While I do respect your opinions and personal experiences, mine are the polar opposite. We owned an XJ that was pure and utter garbage and the XF, from what I have seen, has been plagued with it's fair share of issues. Take a look at some of the Jaguar forums and long term reliability/dependability data from major sources.

Lincoln...I don't know where to start. My roommate's dad has a fleet of Navigator XLs (big bucks) for work and every single one is trash. All the silver paint has chipped off the plastic in the interior in all of them, they all vibrate constantly and rattle like a wind chime. Sad, because IMO it's a nice truck otherwise.
I mentioned that Jaguar, out of Ford's hands, made very reliable and dependable automobiles. And the Navigator has always had its fair share of problems.
Old 10-27-09, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Scion is an amazing turnaround, they were among the WORST.
When was Scion ever that bad? I sure don't remember it. Most Scions, except for the tC, were essentially redone Toyota Tercels, Echos, and Corollas.......some of the most reliable cars in the buisness.

If you want to see a REAL turnaround, it was Hyundai from late 90's to the early 2000's.

Mitsubishi is kind of shocking, never seen them so high.
As you and I both know, they are rather unimpressive and cheaply built, but their mechanicicals are not that bad. Older Mitsubushi engines often had upper-block problems starting around 80K miles, but not so much on newer ones.

There are vast differences between models. A new Honda Insight is 27 times less likely to have a problem than the biggest dog in the pack, the Volkswagen Touareg
The Insight is another example of a car that is rather cheaply built with unimpressive trim, but that, otherwise, has Swiss-Watch assembly quality...I noted that in my Insight review.
Old 10-27-09, 04:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I mentioned that Jaguar, out of Ford's hands, made very reliable and dependable automobiles. And the Navigator has always had its fair share of problems.
Certain generations of Jaguars, even out of Ford's hands, still had numerous reliability problems. In fact, a lot of British cars over the decades have a famous reputation of reliability problems.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey (updated October 2011)