Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports Annual Car Reliability Survey (updated October 2011)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
Mazda #4? Hello!!?!?!

Did you guys miss that? That's great news for Mazda. Having owned 2, I know they are some of the most under appreciated cars out there.
Always like the Mazda's over Nissan's and Toyota's
Old 10-27-11, 08:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
and how reliable are the Panerama's ??
i know only 1 guy with the car and so far it's ok, but that's not enough to say much. but from the article it says the cayenne is the one pulling down the store. but if it's single handedly doing so, it must be really bad
Old 10-27-11, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
their 10 year warranty isnt as simple as it looks... basic one is 60miles, powertrain is 60,000miles for all owners, 100,000 miles for original owner only... infotainment/audi, paint warranty is "only" 36,000 miles/3 years, battery is 24 months.
Unless they have just recently changed it, the 10/100 part on the Hyundai drivetrain waranty is transferable to those in the immediate family (mother, father, sister, etc...). Otherwise, as you note, it's 5/60.

Why Hyundai does that, I don't know ......but my guess is that perhaps it is easier to keep track of the car's service-records when it stays in the same family, and makes it less of a risk as a used-car.
Old 10-27-11, 09:32 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Chrysler used to have a 100K powertrain warranty that was non-transferable. A local Toyota dealer includes a lifetime powertrain warranty on new cars.
Old 10-27-11, 06:53 PM
LexFather

I think it says A LOT about Lexus for the complicated hybrid CT to be the most reliable vehicle. It speaks volumes on how they said they were taking quality/reliability back to being a priority. I had one for a couple of days and it felt solid as a rock for such a small car.

I mean its pretty ridiculous to think the most technologically complicated vehicles in hybrids are more reliable than these regular cars.

Really mind boggling.

Some brands at the bottom had 1 or no cars at average. That is ridiculous. The new Cayenne seems to have killed Porsche like the first gen did until they improved it. Audi continue to be a headache, Buick/Caddy are surprisingly in the rear. I thought Buick was supposed to be the Lexus killer lol.

Scion usually sucks at these so maybe Toyota finally took complaints serious.

Old 10-27-11, 07:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think it says A LOT about Lexus for the complicated hybrid CT to be the most reliable vehicle. It speaks volumes on how they said they were taking quality/reliability back to being a priority. I had one for a couple of days and it felt solid as a rock for such a small car.

I mean its pretty ridiculous to think the most technologically complicated vehicles in hybrids are more reliable than these regular cars.

Really mind boggling.

Some brands at the bottom had 1 or no cars at average. That is ridiculous. The new Cayenne seems to have killed Porsche like the first gen did until they improved it. Audi continue to be a headache, Buick/Caddy are surprisingly in the rear. I thought Buick was supposed to be the Lexus killer lol.

it makes sense as Prius has been most reliable toyota for years now, and here comes CTh, Prius without rattles and squeaks :-)
Old 10-27-11, 08:04 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really mind boggling.
Well it helps that the CT is not even a year old. Just saying.
Old 10-27-11, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
Well it helps that the CT is not even a year old. Just saying.
Usually people are *****ing saying "OMG AVOID FIRST YEAR PRODUCT". Just saying

Old 10-27-11, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Really mind boggling.

you should try looking into my s class and see how they make something simple very complicated. then you realize no wonder why these cars can have so many little problems

lol i think what he's trying to say is problems might not arises yet just saying

but given how lexus promised to get back on quality, i think they are (should be) very careful on the ct
Old 10-28-11, 12:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford rushes to fix gearbox problems, but not quickly enough for Consumer Reports

Ford rushes to fix gearbox problems, but not quickly enough for Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports recently cited issues with the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission in the Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta as one of the primary reasons behind the automaker's fall from grace in its annual Car Reliability Study, but according to The New York Times, the automaker has already worked to solve most of the problems with the gearboxes. Ford has issued a number of technical service bulletins designed to improve drivability at low speeds. On September 13, Ford sent its dealers a bulletin describing how to reprogram the powertrain control module for "smoother acceleration, reduced hesitation, better low-speed drivability and improved shift scheduling."

In addition, a separate bulletin sent out on September 2 specifically dealt with harsh gear changes in the Fiesta. Like its larger sibling, dealers were instructed to reprogram the transmission for better performance. Still, those fixes come too late for Ford in the Consumer Reports' report. We'll have to wait until next year to see if the changes improve the Blue Oval's ranking.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/27/f...ly-enough-for/
Old 10-28-11, 01:17 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it says A LOT about Lexus for the complicated hybrid CT to be the most reliable vehicle.

It makes sense when you think about it.

Electric motors have very few moving parts and near zero maintenance, so do batteries especially quality ones.

If the Electric motor is doing a lot of the work, that means the gasoline engine is doing less work so it will have less wear over time and less issues.

Plus, the drivetrain has been around 10 years now and all the bugs have been worked out. Its a pretty clean, efficient setup now. The biggest hurdle IMO was the wiring and the ECU programming, but thats solved and now it just works damn well.

As for the rest of the cars reliability... I'm surprised how well built the CT is. Its a solid car built on a proven well sorted chassis.

Small interior squeaks or minor trim problems aside, I don't suspect first year CT's will have many issues even 10 years from now.
Old 10-28-11, 04:06 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Chrysler ranks dead last, sounds about right. Not only are most Chrysler vehicles hideous and uncompetitive, they are also unreliable. They can't even tout low price as a selling point anymore, as I would much rather get a Hyundai or Ford any day over a Chrysler.
Chrysler isn't last. Jaguar and Land Rover didn't even make it on the list.
Old 10-28-11, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Still valid to an extent, but less-so than in the past. The first-year Ford Fusion, Saturn S-series, present-generation Chevy Malibu, and a number of Japanese-designed vehicles were reliable from Day One.
Old 10-28-11, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ford has issued a number of technical service bulletins designed to improve drivability at low speeds. On September 13, Ford sent its dealers a bulletin describing how to reprogram the powertrain control module for "smoother acceleration, reduced hesitation, better low-speed drivability and improved shift scheduling."

In addition, a separate bulletin sent out on September 2 specifically dealt with harsh gear changes in the Fiesta. Like its larger sibling, dealers were instructed to reprogram the transmission for better performance. Still, those fixes come too late for Ford in the Consumer Reports' report. We'll have to wait until next year to see if the changes improve the Blue Oval's ranking.
I noted some of the hesitation and vibration problems in both my Ford Fiesta and Focus reviews. I thought, in the Fiesta, at first, that it might have been fuel-related (an excesssively-lean mixture to achieve that 40-MPG highway rating) rather than transmission-related, but apparantly that wasn't the case....it WAS in the transmission.
Old 10-28-11, 10:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I noted some of the hesitation and vibration problems in both my Ford Fiesta and Focus reviews. I thought, in the Fiesta, at first, that it might have been fuel-related (an excesssively-lean mixture to achieve that 40-MPG highway rating) rather than transmission-related, but apparantly that wasn't the case....it WAS in the transmission.
One of my bosses bought a new Fiesta.

I too experienced some hesitation during acceleration, especially from 2nd to 3rd gear.

I need to share this info with her...