Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is Clarkson right?
Yup, Cock a doodle dooooooo Audi!
46.51%
No he is wrong
4.65%
BMW still holds the crown
46.51%
I hate Clarkson
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Jeremy Clarkson And His Distaste For Audi Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 02:46 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I wonder, when they use the word "****" in Britain, do they use it to reference a male chicken or something else?

Here in the States most people probably aren't even aware that "****" is a male chicken.
Believe me, we don't mean chickens, roosters or valves..
Old 10-12-09, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Believe me, we don't mean chickens, roosters or valves..

If you are referring to the use of the word "****" in the way I think you are, I'm not sure about Britain, but, here, in America, it is a borderline vulgar term that is not considered socially acceptable, and used to refer to a male organ.

By socially acceptable terms, it means a rooster.

And, of course, in Britain, as I mentioned earlier, I remember seeing the term used to refer to petrol valves/refilling gear.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 08:09 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
It's not fully here yet, but I will say most aholes will be driving Audis, Why it is the lights!!, even the daytime ones look evil and have a curve, and now they are coming in LEDS! Also, The Audi advertising lately gives off this kind of I am better then you attitude as well.
The motto Audi used a year or 2 ago was" Lead never follow" most of the A4 drivers take this motto very seriously. Here in So CA I expect every A4 I encounter to try & get in front of me even thou I am far more capable than they
Old 10-12-09, 08:36 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

feelin audi a lot...specially that s5 with red interior...at the same time i wouldn't trade-in my gs for it tho...
Old 10-12-09, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
The motto Audi used a year or 2 ago was" Lead never follow" most of the A4 drivers take this motto very seriously. Here in So CA I expect every A4 I encounter to try & get in front of me even thou I am far more capable than they

Problem is, in SoCal, no matter where they are on the road, everybody, including Audis, is usually following someone, simply by the sheer volume of traffic. Same here in the D.C. area, where traffic, at times, is almost as bad as SoCal.
Old 10-13-09, 07:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
in general, BMW is still the "Ultimate Driving Machine" when it comes to a driver-centered chassis.
There lies the problem, most people are not willing to buy the Ultimate Driving Machine and give up all the other priority that makes up a luxury car. If Audi can design a car that handles almost as good as BMW and yet, exceed BMW in all other areas, that would be a well rounded car that most people will buy. If you think about it, most people drive agreesively maybe 1% of the time, for the other 99% of the time, I would rather be in a Audi than a BMW.
There have been a Audi explosion in Europe in the last few years. BMW and MB is losing market share to Audi in Europe. If anyone here have visit Spain in recent years, Q5 and A4 are everywhere.
As far as Audi drivers being a ****, they will never be as bad as BMW drivers, simply because they didnt buy their Audi just for performance. BMW drivers need to justify why they bought a BMW at every red light and pass people shifting two lane, all while without signaling. Whereas Audi drivers will just be satified with the Audi interior and the comfortable ride.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-13-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
There lies the problem, most people are not willing to buy the Ultimate Driving Machine and give up all the other priority that makes up a luxury car. If Audi can design a car that handles almost as good as BMW and yet, exceed BMW in all other areas, that would be a well rounded car that most people will buy. If you think about it, most people drive agreesively maybe 1% of the time, for the other 99% of the time, I would rather be in a Audi than a BMW.
I'll respect your opinion on this one, but I'm not so sure I totally agree. I'm generally not an aggressive driver myself, but even driving relatively sedately, it's easy to enjoy the superb steering feel and ride/handling balance that comes with the typical BMW. I might be driving an AWD BMW product myself if it wasn't for a couple of things.....the I-Drive, the sometimes sloppy assembly quality, and, of course, the unreliable electronics. And there's no arguing the fact that the typical BMW doesn't have the superb fit/finish that an Audi does.
Old 10-13-09, 10:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I'll respect your opinion on this one, but I'm not so sure I totally agree. I'm generally not an aggressive driver myself, but even driving relatively sedately, it's easy to enjoy the superb steering feel and ride/handling balance that comes with the typical BMW. I might be driving an AWD BMW product myself if it wasn't for a couple of things.....the I-Drive, the sometimes sloppy assembly quality, and, of course, the unreliable electronics. And there's no arguing the fact that the typical BMW doesn't have the superb fit/finish that an Audi does.
Thank You mmarshall, always a gentleman
Of course not all will agree with my opinion, in fact, most do not in the US. Just look at the BMW loyalist here. There is very little advantage to a BMW if you are going to baby it all the time. I could never understand why senior citizens buy BMW at all. There are many reasons why I would not buy a BMW again, but little things like I drive and electronics are not any of them. The I drive can be master pretty easily if you are good with electronic controls and the electronic problems are nothing more than a nuisance. As far as the build quality, I think it is not too bad, right behind Lexus and Audi IMO.
I think BMW's biggest problem are price, and the interior.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-13-09 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-13-09, 11:49 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In Britain, "****" can also sometimes refer to a valve or filler-system, such as a petrol (gasoline) ****.

Yes, even in America, most people know it means a rooster.
Well, even in the states it can be referred to a valve, for instance radiator drain ****, engine coolant drain ****, but most often the word is used as the vulgar term.
Old 10-13-09, 11:57 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thank You mmarshall, always a gentleman
Of course not all will agree with my opinion, in fact, most do not in the US. Just look at the BMW loyalist here. There is very little advantage to a BMW if you are going to baby it all the time. I could never understand why senior citizens buy BMW at all. There are many reasons why I would not buy a BMW again, but little things like I drive and electronics are not any of them. The I drive can be master pretty easily if you are good with electronic controls and the electronic problems are nothing more than a nuisance. As far as the build quality, I think it is not too bad, right behind Lexus and Audi IMO.
I think BMW's biggest problem are price, and the interior.
+1 or maybe -2 on BMW interiors & costs but I have not seen Audi's interior because with the exception of the A5 I can't get past the exterior
Old 10-13-09, 12:11 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind Audi owners too much. Around here it's mostly professional type people who drive them so they're really no worse than your typical Florida driver. It's the freaking VW kids who drive me nuts.
Old 10-13-09, 12:22 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JonSC4
I don't mind Audi owners too much. Around here it's mostly professional type people who drive them so they're really no worse than your typical Florida driver. It's the freaking VW kids who drive me nuts.
Here in SoCA where you see every kind of car for extended periods of time the Audi driver issue is 95% A4s - A$$UsuallyDrivesIt
Old 10-13-09, 12:24 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JonSC4
I agree, especially the boy racers with their VW GTI, they are as bad as drivers of mini coopers and BMW. On the other hand, we have drivers of Prius and Volvos driving too slow, which is dangerious too.
Old 10-13-09, 12:36 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder what the pysche of these drivers wouldl be like when they switch from car to car as most of them probably have more than one brand?
Old 10-13-09, 12:54 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I wonder what the pysche of these drivers wouldl be like when they switch from car to car as most of them probably have more than one brand?
I can tell you that when I step out of my yellow Porsche into my Black Sapphire IS unwanted attention plummets with the exception of all male A4 & male BMW drivers

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson And His Distaste For Audi Drivers