Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Question about scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 09:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Question about scratches

So my car has some scratches/abrasions on both sides on the front bumper that look like this:
Kind of hard to see them, but they're there. Almost like somebody took sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad to it. Sometimes you can't notice it, but sometimes it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Question about scratches-2014-05-21-07.33.35.jpg

Is there anyway to get them out without having to have the clear coat redone?
Old 05-21-14, 10:24 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like maybe someone wet sanded it but didn't polish the paint after.

you can always try to get it polished out. Find someone that has a polisher or pick one up for yourself and learn how to.
Old 05-22-14, 05:41 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those should be easily compounded out by a detailer. Post in the detailing section and I am sure you can find someone local who can assist you.
Old 05-22-14, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

if the scratches aren't too deep into the paint, and are confined to the surface clear coat, this inexpensive product ($4-6, on average) might take care of it. I've had very good results with it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 08:31 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you feel the scratches? it almost looks like wax compound that was not wiped away properly and got sun-baked into the top coat, because I can see it on the blinker lens also - either way they will come out no problem. A pro detailer might have to use 2k to 3k grit wetsand method then cut, buff and polish if the standard cutting compound doesnt work. About 30 minutes to an hour worth of labor on each side.
Old 05-22-14, 08:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
if the scratches aren't too deep into the paint, and are confined to the surface clear coat, this inexpensive product ($4-6, on average) might take care of it. I've had very good results with it.

Do you need a buffer for that or just a microfiber cloth? Our orbital buffer got swiped a few years back.
Old 05-22-14, 09:05 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I am against the idea of using the buffer. Unless you are doing commercial services, such as detailer. Otherwise, do it by hand.
Old 05-22-14, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Do you need a buffer for that or just a microfiber cloth? Our orbital buffer got swiped a few years back.
No. It is very simple. Do it by hand. It comes in the bottle just like wax, but of course, is not wax....although it leaves a smooth, highly-polished surface. Just wet/clean the affected area down, dry it, shake the bottle a little, pour a small amount out onto a soft rag just like you would do with liquid wax, and rub it into the affected area. If the scratches are not too deep into the clear coat or colored-paint, your hand-rub will buff them out (it has a very light-grade abrasive that doesn't scratch), leaving a moist or dry haze over the area. Then just wipe off the haze, and see if that did the trick or if another rub is needed.....sometimes you will have to rub hard or do it more than once. It also (usually) works with insect or bird-dropping stains (if they haven't sat for too long and blotched the paint deeply), paint-color markings from careless people who bang their car doors into yours in parking lots, and light scuff marks from abrasions.

I don't recommend using it on flat-black trim or or some unpainted-color surfaces, though. On those, it can leave more of a mess than it takes out. It works best on factory-painted or bare-metal shiny surfaces, whether vinyl or sheet-metal.

If you can't order it online or find it in any local store in your area, PM me with your name/mailing address, and I'll send you a small complimentary bottle of it in the mail...I keep a supply of it on hand.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 10:05 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Marklouis
Can you feel the scratches? it almost looks like wax compound that was not wiped away properly and got sun-baked into the top coat, because I can see it on the blinker lens also - either way they will come out no problem. A pro detailer might have to use 2k to 3k grit wetsand method then cut, buff and polish if the standard cutting compound doesnt work. About 30 minutes to an hour worth of labor on each side.
That's a very good point. I hadn't even considered that.

I'll go cop a feel on my lunch break.
Old 05-22-14, 11:04 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

definitely looks to be some type of wax/compound that's dried...mist some water on it and buff off with a rag if that's the case
Old 05-22-14, 12:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to have to with those of you who said it was compound....I ran my finger across it and some of it rubbed off, lol. Can't believe I thought it was actual scratches.
Old 05-22-14, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'm going to have to with those of you who said it was compound....I ran my finger across it and some of it rubbed off, lol. Can't believe I thought it was actual scratches.
Since compound itself can leave scratches if you rub it, if there are any fine scratches left from the abrasion, SCRATCH-OUT might also work on them if necessary. But if you're satisfied with the way it now looks, fine.